Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a tiny thing I've discovered about my model S that may be common knowledge. When using the touch screen, if you have a "popup"/dialog open, you don't need to press the relatively small X in the top left of the screen to get rid of it, you can press anywhere on the screen and it will close. This means you can touch the screen somewhere near the nearest edge (without even looking) to restore the screen to its original state. I find this much safer than trying to precision press the X with finger hovering over the screen. I was going to start a thread (or introduce the subject of) using the touch screen safely but to be honest this is my only useful tip so far.

Nice! Did not know that. Will definitely be easier than trying to hit the small X to close a window. Now that I think about it, a few times I thought I missed the X, but the window still closed...(I figured I was close enough, maybe).

Not sure if this has already been posted: when selecting an app icon at the top of the center display, you can drag the app icon with your finger to either the upper or lower half of the display. You are not limited to dragging the app to the small box that appears when you first press the app, you can drag the icon anywhere on the display.

Last edited:
The car will shutdown/sleep after 30 mins even if you're sitting in the driver's seat. I was enjoying the air conditioning, charging my phone and having a conversation over Bluetooth. First the call audio dropped and then the screens shut down. It was a freaky experience; I wasn't sure if the alarm would go off if I opened the door (it didn't).
The alarm never goes off while the car is unlocked. Alarm only engages one minute after the car has been locked (regardless whether it's manual or walk-away door lock).

It's been reported in this thread that the Model S has a feature that when you open a door, the audio level decreases. I don't know if it was also posted that when you open the real hatchback, the audio level also decreases. Just discovered that myself for the first time today.

It would not surprise me if the frunk triggers this as well because all 6 "doors" are treated similar in the REST API. Worth an experiment to see.

--update--

I tested on 5.9 firmware and opening the trunk does not reduce the audio level.

Last edited:
For the record I am the only driver of my car and I use the adapter every (work) day
epuza5u7.jpg
This picture scares me. I see that rolling under the brake pedal (or the accelerator) and causing (at best) drama.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this has already been posted: when selecting an app icon at the top of the center display, you can drag the app icon with your finger to either the upper or lower half of the display. You are not limited to dragging the app to the small box that appears when you first press the app, you can drag the icon anywhere on the display.
Model S software/firmware changelog - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
Version 4.0 (v1.17.50)
- November 30th, 2012
  • App Launcher - With this feature, you can easily launch an app in the bottom app window (in addition to the current default behavior, where tapping an icon replaces the app in the top window). To try it, tap and hold an application icon. You'll notice a small pop-up indicating the top and bottom viewing panes. Drag the icon to your preferred location. Options: 1) Drag an app icon to the top or bottom portion of the pop-up; 2) Drag an app icon directly to the bottom viewing pane of the touchscreen. A single tap of any icon will place the app in the top pane; 3) If the app is already launched, a second tap will switch it between half-screen to full-screen display. (Note that only certain apps have a full-screen view).

It's not video per se, but the Quick Tesla portal (QuickTesla) shows weather radar animations. I use the Weather link frequently for location enabled, real-time forecasts, but I haven't used the Radar link since learning about the site a couple months ago. Initially the page had minuscule thumbnails of regional radars that were very hard to see or navigate. Now you get a time lapse [US] national overview with the regional thumbnails select-able across the top. I snapped a still of hurricane Arthur swirling off the NC coast last week (sorry for blurry pic):
IMG_4657.JPG

I just bunch up the microfibre cloth and wipe. Never had a problem with accidental activation. I know about the screen cleaning mode, but have never bothered with it.

Same here, I've never once had an accidental activation when cleaning my screen this way.

You know what makes the touchscreen nutso? Wiping the dashboard with a medium nap microfiber cloth. Every time I clean my car's interior I have to undo the random things that got controlled, like seat heater in particular. I dont know exactly what is doing it but I have learned to check everything after a wipedown.