Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S Tips and Tricks Cover.jpg

Here's the newest version of the Tesla Tips and Tricks document.

The previously noted tips and tricks that are no longer functional have been removed from the guide, and all new tips have been added to the end of each section.

To access the document, go to Geremology.com | Tesla Tips and Tricks
Also, here's a direct link to the file: Model S Tips and Tricks

Here's the newest version of the Tesla Tips and Tricks document.

The previously noted tips and tricks that are no longer functional have been removed from the guide, and all new tips have been added to the end of each section.

To access the document, go to Geremology.com | Tesla Tips and Tricks
Also, here's a direct link to the file: Model S Tips and Tricks
As a new P85D owner who will be picking up his first Tesla on Tuesday, this is a great resource. Thanks for taking the time to update it!

Also, it has been reported that the latest firmware enables opening the charge port door with a long press (3+ seconds) on the rear-hatch button of the fob.

Yep, I discovered this by accident and noted it here (Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 358). Teo also kindly polled on the tesla motors site and this appears to be in all v6(2.0.27) and later (Opening charge port with key fob | Forums | Tesla Motors).

i tried this today next to another p85d and this appears to be unique to each car. More confirmations are reqd.

cheers, Mike

Yep, I discovered this by accident and noted it here (Tracking P85D delivery thread - Page 358). Teo also kindly polled on the tesla motors site and this appears to be in all v6(2.0.27) and later (Opening charge port with key fob | Forums | Tesla Motors).

i tried this today next to another p85d and this appears to be unique to each car. More confirmations are reqd.

cheers, Mike

I just tested and a 3 second hold does in fact open the charge port on both my P85+ (2.0.77) and my P85D.

Charge port trick works for me too on a P85D.

The entry on Siri should be updated as well. It reads:

However, as of now, there's no way to trigger Siri from the vehicle controls, you'd still have to press and hold your iOS device home button.

As of IOS 8, when your phone is connected to power you can activate Siri using the "Hey, Siri" command as long as you have set the phone in Settings > General > Siri to permit it. So, "Hey, Siri Play Alabama Shakes" will change the song on the Bluetooth control without having to push any buttons. Any question you ask that requires a response will be played over the audio system as described in this entry.

I think this has gone unmentioned (at least, I didn't find it in the document above)

When navigation is active the current time is displayed in the lower right corner of the directions panel. Tapping this clock will toggle the time display format for the entire car between 12 and 24 hour mode.

And I now know how my car has been mysteriously ending up in 24hr time format mode. Sometimes when I go to cancel navigation, my finger hits a bit low and toggles the time display.

I think this has gone unmentioned (at least, I didn't find it in the document above)

When navigation is active the current time is displayed in the lower right corner of the directions panel. Tapping this clock will toggle the time display format for the entire car between 12 and 24 hour mode.

And I now know how my car has been mysteriously ending up in 24hr time format mode. Sometimes when I go to cancel navigation, my finger hits a bit low and toggles the time display.

THAT's what caused this... Lol, great to know - thanks :)

One thing I discovered recently: When regeneration is limited, cruise control doesnt work so well going down hills. I was 13MPH over the speed limit before I realized it. Car is heavy and rolls easily. Nothing to slow it down when regeneration is limited due to the cold.
IMG_4009 5.05.47 PM.jpg

I use the Service Mode for the wipers every time I wash my Model S, this parks the wipers up on the screen so you can wipe them dry and clean the well under the hood/ bonnet where they hide normally. But today I went to put them in Service Mode it was grayed out and could not be selected. After 10 minutes of head scratching and a reboot of the screen it was still grayed out.
Then I remembered it was raining last night when I came home and I checked the wiper stalk; I had left the wipers on intermittent! Returned the wiper stalk to off and I could then select wiper Service Mode. :redface:

I use the Service Mode for the wipers every time I wash my Model S, this parks the wipers up on the screen so you can wipe them dry and clean the well under the hood/ bonnet where they hide normally. But today I went to put them in Service Mode it was grayed out and could not be selected. After 10 minutes of head scratching and a reboot of the screen it was still grayed out.
Then I remembered it was raining last night when I came home and I checked the wiper stalk; I had left the wipers on intermittent! Returned the wiper stalk to off and I could then select wiper Service Mode. :redface:

How many times have you washed your car in two weeks? :)