Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer firmwares are SOOOOO much smoother for TACC
I was wondering if it had changed... I found that it liked to leave much of the braking until the last moment previously. I'd be covering the brake pedal, ready to intervene, but it would manage it on its own. I just didn't feel comfortable and the pucker factor was fairly high. I haven't noticed it being quite as bad the last little while, so you may be right.

One thing I've never checked - does the follow distance setting have any effect on how close it pulls up to the car in front when stopped?

I never got out and measured the exact distance but I tend to stop far enough back to be able to fully see the rear wheels of the car in front of me. Generally, that's enough distance to be comfortable to switch lanes (depends on turning radius of the car I'm driving), if needed, in case the car(s) in front of me stop for some reason.

For me, there's no real gain to be up close to the car in front since I pay enough attention to start moving with traffic when the light turns green so the distance hardly matters in almost all cases even if it might annoy the car behind me.

There are, of course, exceptions. I'll pull up a bit if the person behind me needs the clearance to squeeze into a left turn lane, for instance.

That's exactly how I was taught to drive too. If you can see the rear wheels touching the pavement from your seat, you have enough room to pull over in an emergency.

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering if it had changed... I found that it liked to leave much of the braking until the last moment previously. I'd be covering the brake pedal, ready to intervene, but it would manage it on its own. I just didn't feel comfortable and the pucker factor was fairly high. I haven't noticed it being quite as bad the last little while, so you may be right.

One thing I've never checked - does the follow distance setting have any effect on how close it pulls up to the car in front when stopped?

I only played with settings 1-4, hoping 1 would get me much closer.

From my quick non-scientific experiments, I would lean towards no difference.

That's exactly how I was taught to drive too. If you can see the rear wheels touching the pavement from your seat, you have enough room to pull over in an emergency.

Me too. And, if you get hit from behind, there is a lesser chance you'll roll into the guy in front which can become a huge insurance hassle. (if it's just you getting hit from behind, it's 100% the other guy's fault).

I never got out and measured the exact distance but I tend to stop far enough back to be able to fully see the rear wheels of the car in front of me. Generally, that's enough distance to be comfortable to switch lanes (depends on turning radius of the car I'm driving), if needed, in case the car(s) in front of me stop for some reason.

For me, there's no real gain to be up close to the car in front since I pay enough attention to start moving with traffic when the light turns green so the distance hardly matters in almost all cases even if it might annoy the car behind me.

There are, of course, exceptions. I'll pull up a bit if the person behind me needs the clearance to squeeze into a left turn lane, for instance.
Me too. And, if you get hit from behind, there is a lesser chance you'll roll into the guy in front which can become a huge insurance hassle. (if it's just you getting hit from behind, it's 100% the other guy's fault).

Yay. At least I don't feel like a lone ranger anymore with the way I drive! :)

Tips & tricks

This thread may already exist, but just in case, I thought I'd start it off with:
Florida gets Hot!
In case you didn't know how, you can exit your Tesla and leave the A/C on with the doors locked while making a quick stop at a store, bank, etc.
Stop the car - Put it in Neutral - On the touch screen set the Emergency Brake.
With the car still in Neutral you can leave the car and take your key with the doors locked and the A/C on.
This can be done with an iPhone app, but this is easy and works with or without an iPhone..
Big Daddy...

Thanks! My car is currently in transit from Fremont so I can't test this myself, but are you able to start the AC in the car from your phone while out of it and it's in park? If so, is there anything stopping me from just parking it normally, leave the car, then on the way into the store I could turn the AC on via phone?

Thanks! My car is currently in transit from Fremont so I can't test this myself, but are you able to start the AC in the car from your phone while out of it and it's in park? If so, is there anything stopping me from just parking it normally, leave the car, then on the way into the store I could turn the AC on via phone?
Yes, you can turn on climate control via the phone app.

Here's a little thing I discovered: When you are stopped on a hill with the hill assist engaged and take your foot off the brake, the brake lights will remain on until the hill assist releases a second or two later. Why I find this interesting is that I assumed the brake lights were activated by an accelerometer when slowing fast under re-gen and by a brake pedal switch whenever the pedal is depressed. There must be another mechanism at work here, because the lights remain on even though the pedal is not depressed and the acellerometer is not detecting any deceleration.

Last edited:
Here's a little thing I discovered: When you are stopped on a hill with the hill assist engaged and take your foot off the brake, the brake lights will remain on until the hill assist releases a second or two later. Why I find this interesting is that I assumed the brake lights were activated by an accelerometer when slowing fast under re-gen and by a brake pedal switch whenever the pedal is depressed. There must be another mechanism at work here, because the lights remain on even though the pedal is depressed and the acellerometer is not detecting any deceleration.

I need to test this, but I was sure the hill assist was similar to TACC where it would engage the brake pedal?

I need to test this, but I was sure the hill assist was similar to TACC where it would engage the brake pedal?

Mine is a "classic" pre-TACC car that just uses the regular old hydraulic brakes. I'm not sure how it does it, but it probably has something to do with the ABS/Traction Control hardware already there. Hill Assist was a feature added to my car quite a while after I first got it. My brake pedal does not move and is in the fully "released" position when Hill Assist is active. (i.e. I press the brake but when I lift my foot off, the pedal comes fully up but the car is held for a second or two).

Mine is a "classic" pre-TACC car that just uses the regular old hydraulic brakes. I'm not sure how it does it, but it probably has something to do with the ABS/Traction Control hardware already there. Hill Assist was a feature added to my car quite a while after I first got it. My brake pedal does not move and is in the fully "released" position when Hill Assist is active. (i.e. I press the brake but when I lift my foot off, the pedal comes fully up but the car is held for a second or two).

Ah, gotchya. Interesting...

Yup. Back in college, guy came running up to my 4Runner with a knife and I didn't wait for him to bang on my window. Popped the curb onto the sidewalk, passed the car in front of me and took a right turn out of there.

Maybe he saw it fall off your car a couple blocks back and was trying to return it? He was probably running to make sure he caught you before the light changed. I'm kidding, of course.

I've always said that if somebody wants to carjack me I'm going to get out of the car and give it to them without hesitation. I'll let the police take care of him and the insurance company take care of my car. That said, I've never been in that situation, so I can't really predict how I'd react, and even if so, to each his own I say. If you feel comfortable hopping the curb in that situation and avoiding the potential hassle, then by all means go for it. I wouldn't try that in my Model S, but I might in a 4Runner.

I do this all the time. I start the a/c about 10 minutes before leaving work. I pick up my daughter about 1 mile away. If it is a particularly hot day, say over 85 deg F, I exit the car and the a/c goes off and I immediately turn it back on before entering the building to get her so the car keeps cooling.

A TACC trick I learned by accident: When you are driving with TACC disengaged, it remembers the last set speed and a short pull on the stalk will cause it to resume whatever the last set speed was. Sometimes this is undesirable, for instance if you last used it on the interstate. A long pull doesn't turn TACC back on and set it to the detected speed limit (which it absolutely should!), but if you hit the stalk up or down instead of pulling it towards you it will activate the cruise to your current speed and ignore the previous set speed.