Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anyone hasn't noticed it yet on their car, there are two front-defrost modes. The first time you press front defrost, the icon turns blue and goes to max LO temp. Press it again and the icon turns red and goes to max HI temp.

Mine doesn't seem to go to LO with the first push. It just stays at the temperature I've set. The second push does indeed go to HI on my car.

When stopped in traffic with TACC engaged, if you want to snug up on the car in front of you, just press the accelerator a bit. The car will move up and will keep TACC engaged. Great to keep cars from cutting in when TACC leaves what must appear to others to be an open invitation.

When stopped in traffic with TACC engaged, if you want to snug up on the car in front of you, just press the accelerator a bit. The car will move up and will keep TACC engaged. Great to keep cars from cutting in when TACC leaves what must appear to others to be an open invitation.

Now granted I only have had TACC with loaners, but I've never seen TACC in the loaners I've driven leave enough room between cars at a stoplight where even a motorcycle could fit in between my car and the one in front. Are you experiencing TACC differently?

Now granted I only have had TACC with loaners, but I've never seen TACC in the loaners I've driven leave enough room between cars at a stoplight where even a motorcycle could fit in between my car and the one in front. Are you experiencing TACC differently?

My TACC leaves a good 3'-4' gap when it stops. Given, you can't fit a whole car in there, but as someone who grew up driving in NY, if you leave more than an inch gap (facetious of course), between your bumper and the bumper in front of you, a car can aggressively force his way in when the car in front moves.

My TACC leaves a good 3'-4' gap when it stops. Given, you can't fit a whole car in there, but as someone who grew up driving in NY, if you leave more than an inch gap (facetious of course), between your bumper and the bumper in front of you, a car can aggressively force his way in when the car in front moves.

Must be differences in driving styles. TACC stops closer to the bumper in front of me than I normally do when I'm primarily in control. I tend to leave about 1/2 - 3/4 a car length between me and the car in front.

I remember somebody at this forum had an accident primarily due to using this "feature".

The problem with this situation is if the car in front suddenly reduces speed or stops, TACC tries to lower the speed but eventually, it becomes too uncomfortable and panic brake. You might end up rear ended. The guy was rear ended.

I remember somebody at this forum had an accident primarily due to using this "feature".

The problem with this situation is if the car in front suddenly reduces speed or stops, TACC tries to lower the speed but eventually, it becomes too uncomfortable and panic brake. You might end up rear ended. The guy was rear ended.

Newer firmwares are SOOOOO much smoother for TACC

(1/2 - 3/4 a car length is 8 - 12 feet.)

I've always been curious as to why people do this, and here's my chance to ask... why?

Not it in my Tesla, but on more than one occasion I have had to pull forward a bit to avoid being rear ended, pull over to the side for emergency vehicles to squeeze through (so need wiggle room), or need take off room to change lanes or pop the curb to either avoid being rear ended or get away from road rage or carjacking.

Meanwhile, I don't understand why some people ride my rear. Last weekend in the Model S, I could tell from the rear-view mirror that the sedan behind me was driven by a white teenager-early 20s male with black hair, a goatee, and blue eyes who had a gold cross around his neck. If I can tell your eye color from my rear view mirror, you are too close to my rear.

(1/2 - 3/4 a car length is 8 - 12 feet.)

I've always been curious as to why people do this, and here's my chance to ask... why?

I never got out and measured the exact distance but I tend to stop far enough back to be able to fully see the rear wheels of the car in front of me. Generally, that's enough distance to be comfortable to switch lanes (depends on turning radius of the car I'm driving), if needed, in case the car(s) in front of me stop for some reason.

For me, there's no real gain to be up close to the car in front since I pay enough attention to start moving with traffic when the light turns green so the distance hardly matters in almost all cases even if it might annoy the car behind me.

There are, of course, exceptions. I'll pull up a bit if the person behind me needs the clearance to squeeze into a left turn lane, for instance.

Last edited:
Not it in my Tesla, but on more than one occasion I have had to pull forward a bit to avoid being rear ended, pull over to the side for emergency vehicles to squeeze through (so need wiggle room), or need take off room to change lanes or pop the curb to either avoid being rear ended or get away from road rage or carjacking.
Yikes, at age 69 I've not experienced any of those needs while stopped in traffic on a freeway or stopped at a traffic light.

Leaving a lot of space seems to me to be traffic-inefficient, where lots of cars are in the line. Just sayin' -- I don't think anyone will change their practice.