Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The top most, e.g. current navigation route step (on the center console) shows a "count down meter" once you are within 400 feet of the upcoming intersection. Prior to 400 feet, there is no indicator. At 400 feet, something looking like a right hand scroll bar appears.

Is this fairly recent, or am I simply in-attentive?

I've seen other posts on the dimensions of the extra space in the bonnet / frunk related to a stroller, but figured that was more pure chance than much else that the stroller fit so nicely.

However, given how thought-out the dimensions of the car seem, the size and shape of that box area has always left me wondering. Why the hell is it that width and depth, or is it simply a design artifact. While this is also more likely a result of pure chance than plan, I did discover it is perfectly sized for a pizza box! I see that as a plausible reason for the approximate size... though who knows.

View attachment 30366

it was pointed out in another thread some months ago that the rear cargo area is exactly two pizza boxes wide. Coincidence? I think not... :biggrin:

Has this one been posted before?:

There is a pinch sensor that runs around the perimeter of the pano roof. When an object, like your hand or finger or anything else, gets pinched for an instant between the closing glass and the pinch sensor the roof will automatically reopen.

The sensor is a black rubber strip that looks somewhat like a weather strip, which is what I thought it was till its function was pointed out to me by my SC.

Has this one been posted before?:

There is a pinch sensor that runs around the perimeter of the pano roof. When an object, like your hand or finger or anything else, gets pinched for an instant between the closing glass and the pinch sensor the roof will automatically reopen.

The sensor is a black rubber strip that looks somewhat like a weather strip, which is what I thought it was till its function was pointed out to me by my SC.

That's interesting. I figured it would have just reversed if it detected a certain amount of resistance at the motor... the way the side windows do.

Just discovered a new one, after 7.5 months and over 9000 miles.

When you change driver memory profiles, the app windows that are showing in the dashboard display to the right and left of the "speedometer" change to what was selected when last using that profile. No saving necessary.

So if you like to use different displays at different driving times or routes, you could duplicate your normal profile and just change the displays, then toggle between the two profiles that are otherwise identical.

When someone else is driving your Model S, you can observe their driving speed, power/regen status and location via the map screen of the mobile app (provided they haven't disabled mobile app access from the car).

Playing yesterday with the acceptor pedal trying to maintain it at the zero kW spot for coasting, I shifted into Neutral gear and the car coasts nicely (zero kW being used, and of course, no regen occurring), shift back into D to either engage regen or start accelerating again.
Done this many times on manual and automatic transmission cars, glad to see it's doable in the S for those instance you want to coasts and want to be able to take you right foot off the pedals for a bit.

I was wondering what would happen if you accidentally pushed the shift lever all the way to Reverse while you were going 40mph forwards... I assume Reverse is disabled unless you're stopped and have your foot on the break peddle? Can you shift into Neutral without pressing the break? Thanks!

I was wondering what would happen if you accidentally pushed the shift lever all the way to Reverse while you were going 40mph forwards... I assume Reverse is disabled unless you're stopped and have your foot on the break peddle? Can you shift into Neutral without pressing the break? Thanks!

Yes, you can shift to neutral and back to drive...