Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is not the right time for me to buy a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s be honest here. Unless we are talking about daily commuter of less than 50miles round trip, there is no doubt owning an EV changes your driving experience and life style on the road.

everyone’s usage and experience would be unique. I for example live in an apartment. I am lucky that the parking garage has charging stations and less than a block away. I don’t drive enough to even justify owning a Tesla (economic POV) and it’s definitely more hassle compare to ICE. However the driving experience and tech is top notch and that’s worth the extra hour spent at the charging stations during a road trip.

I have not changed my driving style and I have a 100 mile round trip commute and a cabin 120 miles away. My only change is I no longer have to stop at gas stations. I have level 2 charging at home and my cabin.

I know many of you will not agree but i just cancelled my order and will wait till next spring/summer.

Current 326 mi range (less then 200 in real world-cold weather (according to my co-workers/friends) is just not enough.
Its ok for city - short distance car, but im not spending $60k for commuter car.
For city car - VW ID4 will cost $32k after all tax credits. Plus 3 years of free charging.

Agree?
Y has heat pump, ID4 doesn't. So yup think Y have low cold range and ID4 will be better?...

As Elon himself said. Prototypes are easy. Manufacturing at volume is the hardest problem. This video means nothing.

Maybe a slim chance these will be in Cyber Truck or Plaid since they are significant new design or redesign. But I doubt Y will see a such major design change very soon.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
OP actually has some good points.

Currently Tesla is producing some of the most desirable cars on the Planet. People are lining up everyplace to order and wait for their delivery. The cars are super aspirational, provide a great driving experience and have eco benefits over the gassers.

While this is all going on, Tesla is working like crazy to make their cars even better and more price competitive. They know that this will only increase demand as they ramp up World Wide production.

OP can easily wait until these enhancements reach production. Range will increase, performance improved, value enhanced and desirability/demand moved forward.

Forums will constantly be forward looking, as this enhancement process will proceed unabaited. There will always be something even better...just around the corner.

People should buy their cars when they meet their needs. They can only buy what is coming down the production line at the time they are scheduled for delivery.

Sometimes better is the enemy of good, because waiting for better never allows you to accept the now.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
326 = 200 miles in cold weather huh

My SR+ has 203 miles at 90%

So I guess I'm only getting 77 miles in cold weather according to your calculation. But I have 40 mile commute and charge every 4 days for free... hmmm....

Loooooooool

Ok

You are right. I think my friends are lying to me .
They just don`t want me to buy this beautiful car.
I think this car is capable doing 300 miles in any weather condition.
You convinced me to re-order it again.
God bless internet.
Thank you

Last edited:
OP actually has some good points.

Currently Tesla is producing some of the most desirable cars on the Planet. People are lining up everyplace to order and wait for their delivery. The cars are super aspirational, provide a great driving experience and have eco benefits over the gassers.

While this is all going on, Tesla is working like crazy to make their cars even better and more price competitive. They know that this will only increase demand as they ramp up World Wide production.

OP can easily wait until these enhancements reach production. Range will increase, performance improved, value enhanced and desirability/demand moved forward.

Forums will constantly be forward looking, as this enhancement process will proceed unabaited. There will always be something even better...just around the corner.

People should buy their cars when they meet their needs. They can only buy what is coming down the production line at the time they are scheduled for delivery.

Sometimes better is the enemy of good, because waiting for better never allows you to accept the now.

Right and new enhancements will slow as soon as OP buys, right?

He suggested most of these big things are gonna happen by spring. Fat chance. If he wants to wait 2-3 years, fine.

I'm a little late replying to OP, because my internet is so slow. I'm on a 56k modem and PC with a 386 processor, because every time I think about upgrading my modem or my computer, I read something about a newer/faster processor coming out and I choose to wait for it.

But then by the time that one comes out, there's a faster one on the way, so I decide to wait for the new one.

I'm a little late replying to OP, because my internet is so slow. I'm on a 56k modem and PC with a 386 processor, because every time I think about upgrading my modem or my computer, I read something about a newer/faster processor coming out and I choose to wait for it.

But then by the time that one comes out, there's a faster one on the way, so I decide to wait for the new one.

Nope Sir, you are wrong.

People buy new ICE cars and keep them for years.
Why?
Because range is always same,unlimited, interior and tech is changing every 4 years and companies will LET YOU KNOW when that happens.

With Tesla, you have limited range, and if its not enough for your needs don`t buy it.

But if there is rumor range will increase soon, confirmed by third party,(Panasonic,already in M3),plus other goodies someone would like to have (console,heated steering wheel,mirrors,second screen...) then why dont wait couple of months?

Additional 50 -70 miles of range will actually make our trips to visit our Grandma without supercharging stops.

Your PC you bought today will last you next 5 years,for internet and videos, if you play video games you can always replace your video card.

What you are going to replace with your Tesla to get more range?

Reactions: Hrtme
I know many of you will not agree but i just cancelled my order and will wait till next spring/summer.

Current 326 mi range (less then 200 in real world-cold weather (according to my co-workers/friends) is just not enough.
Its ok for city - short distance car, but im not spending $60k for commuter car.
For city car - VW ID4 will cost $32k after all tax credits. Plus 3 years of free charging.

Next year we can expect this:
More range due new Panasonic battery and software could bring range up to 390 miles.
$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising.
Lower price of MY due new RWD model looks real too.
We should also expect interior re-design, it was rumoured china version is getting second/front screen soon.

And to add that word of the mouth is already starting to damage Tesla reputation (this comes from our local Tesla centre) i dont see this is the best time to spend $60k on new MY .

Agree?
Agree. I’ve had mine for 3 weeks and it’s been the worst new car experience I’ve ever had. Tesla is smart. People are willing to wait 7-8 weeks for a new car and seem to not care very much if they arrive poorly made. Meanwhile, the stock market only focuses on delivery numbers and not earnings. So the smart thing to do is hit deliveries and not focus on the economics of fixed cars after they are delivered. They can sell $5B in stock at the drop of a hat and there’s still a line for their cars. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when there are more choices. I needed a car and took the risk. Regret it now. Feel like I bought an electric Yugo.

Nope Sir, you are wrong.

People buy new ICE cars and keep them for years.
Why?
Because range is always same,unlimited, interior and tech is changing every 4 years and companies will LET YOU KNOW when that happens.

With Tesla, you have limited range, and if its not enough for your needs don`t buy it.

But if there is rumor range will increase soon, confirmed by third party,(Panasonic,already in M3),plus other goodies someone would like to have (console,heated steering wheel,mirrors,second screen...) then why dont wait couple of months?

Additional 50 -70 miles of range will actually make our trips to visit our Grandma without supercharging stops.

Your PC you bought today will last you next 5 years,for internet and videos, if you play video games you can always replace your video card.

What you are going to replace with your Tesla to get more range?

Is that the same source of rumors of FSD feature complete end of last year? Or the Model S/X interior refresh rumored a year ago. Or Plaid this year. A newly designed battery in the Model Y is probably one of the furthest things out among the rumor mill. There might be small refinements any time though.

We all know you’ll get more for less in the future. It makes zero financial sense to redesign the model Y power system 18 months after it started shipping.

OP’s argument that 60 miles is going to make or break owning a EV is wrong. A new $7500.00 fed rebate next year is wrong.

Waiting 6 months on a Model Y won’t change the equation much.

If OP has cold feet, that’s fine. But most of his justifications are bogus.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and mcorf
Agree. I’ve had mine for 3 weeks and it’s been the worst new car experience I’ve ever had. Tesla is smart. People are willing to wait 7-8 weeks for a new car and seem to not care very much if they arrive poorly made. Meanwhile, the stock market only focuses on delivery numbers and not earnings. So the smart thing to do is hit deliveries and not focus on the economics of fixed cars after they are delivered. They can sell $5B in stock at the drop of a hat and there’s still a line for their cars. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when there are more choices. I needed a car and took the risk. Regret it now. Feel like I bought an electric Yugo.

what don’t you like about your Y? Did you test drive one first?

Tell us what is specifically wrong with your car.

On delivery, the car had a 3inch+ deep scratch on one of the passenger doors. The scratch is too much for touchup paint so the whole door will need to be repainted which will take a couple of days. The door is also badly aligned with the front door and rear quarter panel. There was another scratch on one of the other doors which can be fixed with touchup paint I was told. There were other alignment issues with panels, rear lights, frunk, etc., that were "whatevers" in my book. I agreed to take delivery bc I had waited 7 weeks for the car and they told me they'd fix everything. I took delivery on 11/5/20 and they scheduled an appt for 12/1/20 to fix the issues.

Six days after taking delivery, it was raining an my car alarm was triggered. I looked at my app and it said the passenger door behind the driver was opened. I went out to see what going on to find the door closed but the window down slightly. I opened and closed the door twice before the window went up. Seems strange but I thought that was it. After walking back into my house, the car locked itself. A few seconds later the alarm was going off again and the app said the door was opened again. I went out and repeated what I did before. But this time, the window wouldn't go up and the car wouldn't sense the door was closed. I called road side assistance to see what they could do. They had me reboot the car several times. Nothing. Then they had me recalibrate the windows several times. Nothing. In the meantime, my car started opening and closing the back window frequently and the screen had the door being "open" and then "closed" each time. To be clear, the door was never opened. As it was my 6th day of ownership, they scheduled a service appt the next day.

When I dropped the car off the next day, I explained the entire problem to the person in service. I also told them about the 45 min conversation I had the night before. When I dropped off the car, the problem wasn't happening. At that point, the only issue present was the car saying the window on the same door was opened when it wasn't. I explained to the service department that I thought it had to do with the rain. The night before I dropped it off I placed it in my garage. For the first couple of hours the main issue existed but the next morning after the car had time to dry out, the car recognized the door as closed.

After having the car for 4 days, I got a message through the app saying the car was ready for pickup and they couldn't find a problem. I tried to get in touch with someone via email and phone to ask what was going on but got nowhere. Eventually, I went to the service center to try to talk to someone in person. When I did, I learned that they never looked at the issue. They just thought my error was a problem people had with the app saying the rear door was opened. I guess there was miscommunication between people. After another day, of looking at it they still couldn't fine a problem. By this time, I discovered this website and found someone else who had the exact same problem and how it was related to an improperly installed wiring harness in the door which was getting wet and causing the issue. I sent the service dept the post and the head technician (the 3rd tech to look at my car) realized my harness was also installed improperly at the factory.

Another thing I noticed during the whole ordeal was that water seems to be collecting somewhere inside the door. After a couple of days fo dry weather, water streaks (a lot) appear on the windows when you roll them down and back up. I mentioned it at the time and thought it could be part of the issue. I don't think anything was done bc it rained last week and there was a lot of water on 3 of the windows when I rolled them down and back up. It can't be good for the car to have water trapped inside the doors. I'd say it was a design issue b ut my friend with a Y doesn't have the same problem. I've taken video and pictures of the issue and will let service know about it when I bring it in for the original body issues next week.