Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is not the right time for me to buy a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say, that after owning a Model S for 60,000 miles, I understand what the OP is talking about.

You must change your driving style on trips over 100 miles. Period.

For example: I just took a 115 mile drive in my Model S P85D. My original estimated mileage was 212 for an 80% charge. I drove 115 miles, and had an indicated residual of 79 miles, for a 194 mile actual. I drove on Autopilot, and made sure to keep it just below 70. My w/hr was 353.

After I took these pictures, I went back to my normal hunt and push driving style, and my w/hr skyrocketed to 490.

If this is your driving style: fast, push, weave through slow traffic, get there ASAP. AND you want to drive all over Arizona, get an X5. This ain’t the car for you.

Attachments

• 54FC8F13-2D5A-4405-A13B-520D87D49248.jpeg
    54FC8F13-2D5A-4405-A13B-520D87D49248.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 4DA7F121-88EC-4C77-B349-E0F91F4DE6D8.jpeg
    4DA7F121-88EC-4C77-B349-E0F91F4DE6D8.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 72
I have to say, that after owning a Model S for 60,000 miles, I understand what the OP is talking about.

For example: I just took a 115 mile drive in my Model S P85D. My original estimated mileage was 212 for an 80% charge. I drove 115 miles, and had an indicated residual of 79 miles, for a 194 mile actual. I drove on Autopilot, and made sure to keep it just below 70. My w/hr was 353.

After I took these pictures, I went back to my normal hunt and push driving style, and my w/hr skyrocketed to 490.

If this is your driving style: fast, push, weave through slow traffic, get there ASAP. AND you want to drive all over Arizona, get an X5. This ain’t the car for you.
. I think the OP lives in Henderson (NV), not Arizona.

Interesting. I find that if I want to get the lowest watt/mi I don't use autopilot., If I'm careful, I can do somewhat better (around 10-15) than autopilot.

Reactions: hcdavis3

I think comparing a P85D vs Model Y as far as range anxiety goes is apples and oranges.

I do 240 mile round trip (summer temps) and don't blink an eye at it, no extra planning no charging stops.

I think comparing a P85D vs Model Y as far as range anxiety goes is apples and oranges.

I do 240 mile round trip (summer temps) and don't blink an eye at it, no extra planning no charging stops.

And in my car I do 180 mile round trips without blinking an eye, but I can easily burn the battery driving up the Cascade Mountains!!

I’m comparing w/hr rates. The total mileage in the battery varies, but the WAY you drive is extremely relevant. Why is his range shorter? Because of the way he drives. If he wants to drive 275 miles while squirting from traffic knot to traffic knot up and down rolling hills at 75 mph, he will need a Model S LR.

Simple as that.

And in my car I do 180 mile round trips without blinking an eye, but I can easily burn the battery driving up the Cascade Mountains!!

I’m comparing w/hr rates. The total mileage in the battery varies, but the WAY you drive is extremely relevant. Why is his range shorter? Because of the way he drives. If he wants to drive 275 miles while squirting from traffic knot to traffic knot up and down rolling hills at 75 mph, he will need a Model S LR.

Simple as that.

I agree if you consistently jack rabbit you’ll have a tough time. I didn’t have to change my style of driving to generally do better than EPA rating on both Model 3 and X (in summer months). In winter I do worst than EPA rates and it averages out to about EPA rates.

I got about 230 wh/mi on Performance Model 3 on 19” wheels and 280 wh/mi Model X on 20” wheels (summer driving).

Reactions: ohmman

One of my favorite Tesla YouTubers is the EVNomad, who owns a 2015 P70 (or 70D, not sure) who basically lives out of his car and road trips all over the USA. His range maxes out at something like 225 miles. Watching his videos significantly reduced my fear of range anxiety. Also, being 60+ years old, I need a stop every few hours anyway for biological reasons. So I can do that at SC stations near a restaurant or shopping center and empty and fill at the same time....

Simple as that.

We are talking about the OP canceling his order that we have no data from. I suspect most people that like to jack rabbit know the trade off. Also you’re typically not jack rabbiting on long highway trips. So the real factor that will vary is cruising speed, not acceleration.

So the argument is really if you like to drive 90mph in North Dakota, then the OP has a leg to stand on and should hold off a few years. But for the rest of us, on average any LR modern Tesla (over 300 miles range) isn’t that inconvenient, most of the time. Extreme temps don’t happen that often.

Reactions: DanDi58 and P85_DA
If you don’t need the car now wait until after the new year. Your car won’t be put together by the 2am crew. Basically you’ll get a much better car.

Demand might go down after the new year and Tesla might adjust the prices or add new features. If the ev rebate comes back even better though I won’t count on it. So buy now if you must but if you can wait definitely do that.

If you don’t need the car now wait until after the new year. Your car won’t be put together by the 2am crew. Basically you’ll get a much better car.

Demand might go down after the new year and Tesla might adjust the prices or add new features. If the ev rebate comes back even better though I won’t count on it. So buy now if you must but if you can wait definitely do that.

Better buy now, don’t wait! Better yet, send me your money.

• Funny
Reactions: N2B8