Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is not the right time for me to buy a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising." Please don't count your eggs before they are hatched. Its going to be a while before Republican Majority Senate will pass this. Also, please don't question why they would block it? Just because they can, they will.

Personally, I'd love to see it so I could trade in my 3 for a Y. But I'm more than a little skeptical that the House would pass such a bill. (Progressives such as AOC are all-in for EVs, but they are not fans of so-called tax "loopholes" that primarily benefit the upper middle class.)

Nope Sir, you are wrong.

People buy new ICE cars and keep them for years.
Why?
Because range is always same,unlimited, interior and tech is changing every 4 years and companies will LET YOU KNOW when that happens.

With Tesla, you have limited range, and if its not enough for your needs don`t buy it.

But if there is rumor range will increase soon, confirmed by third party,(Panasonic,already in M3),plus other goodies someone would like to have (console,heated steering wheel,mirrors,second screen...) then why dont wait couple of months?

Additional 50 -70 miles of range will actually make our trips to visit our Grandma without supercharging stops.

Your PC you bought today will last you next 5 years,for internet and videos, if you play video games you can always replace your video card.

What you are going to replace with your Tesla to get more range?
This is so muddled i i dont know where to start.

ICE car makers will let you know when new tech is available? And then what? You have to buy a new car! Always. And you say this is an advantage?

Tesla does same and somehow you think that is bad. Why? Half the time you get that nee tech on existing cars. Tell me one ICE maker that does that?

You claim range is important. Why? So you have to stop at a supercharger on the way to grandmas house. So what? My Tesla is fully charged every morning when i head out to work .. that seems to me a win for the EV over ICE, as its a benefit every single day.

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
Nope Sir, you are wrong.

Why?
Because range is always same,unlimited, interior and tech is changing every 4 years and companies will LET YOU KNOW when that happens.
[snip]

Not true at all. Sounds like you don't keep track otherwise you'd know the winter hits an ICE as well. My Outback loses about 5 mpg in the winter vs the summer. That's roughly 16%. So that's about 45 miles. Obviously I haven't had the MY through a winter. I'll have to see if the range drops much further than 270.

I know many of you will not agree but i just cancelled my order and will wait till next spring/summer.

Current 326 mi range (less then 200 in real world-cold weather (according to my co-workers/friends) is just not enough.
Its ok for city - short distance car, but im not spending $60k for commuter car.
For city car - VW ID4 will cost $32k after all tax credits. Plus 3 years of free charging.

Next year we can expect this:
More range due new Panasonic battery and software could bring range up to 390 miles.
$7000 Tax credit for ALL EV vehicles sold next year looks promising.
Lower price of MY due new RWD model looks real too.
We should also expect interior re-design, it was rumoured china version is getting second/front screen soon.

And to add that word of the mouth is already starting to damage Tesla reputation (this comes from our local Tesla centre) i dont see this is the best time to spend $60k on new MY .

Agree?

So disagree. But you do you.

Nope Sir, you are wrong.

Why?

With Tesla, you have limited range, and if its not enough for your needs don`t buy it.

But if there is rumor range will increase soon, confirmed by third party,(Panasonic,already in M3),plus other goodies someone would like to have (console,heated steering wheel,mirrors,second screen...) then why dont wait couple of months?

Additional 50 -70 miles of range will actually make our trips to visit our Grandma without supercharging stops.

Your PC you bought today will last you next 5 years,for internet and videos, if you play video games you can always replace your video card.

What you are going to replace with your Tesla to get more range?
read past half post was gonna press like, but why you have to mix facts with some random nonsense?
battery increase, yes there will be soon or is happening, but it's whopping ~5% increase, how the funk it makes 50-70 miles more range? and are those 50-70 more miles are they rated miles or you friends told you 2/3 miles?

Agree. I’ve had mine for 3 weeks and it’s been the worst new car experience I’ve ever had. Tesla is smart. People are willing to wait 7-8 weeks for a new car and seem to not care very much if they arrive poorly made. Meanwhile, the stock market only focuses on delivery numbers and not earnings. So the smart thing to do is hit deliveries and not focus on the economics of fixed cars after they are delivered. They can sell $5B in stock at the drop of a hat and there’s still a line for their cars. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when there are more choices. I needed a car and took the risk. Regret it now. Feel like I bought an electric Yugo.

Hmm, that's odd. It appears your experience is an anomaly since Tesla is again ranked first, and by a looong way:

Most and Least Satisfying Car Brands

Reactions: 2101Guy
I’m surprised you are getting so many disagrees. The quality and customer service issues alone are good enough reason to wait (to see if they improve) or look for alternatives. The problems don’t seem to be unique to the Y, I have also been looking at the X and there seems to be a lot of issues and features that an $80k+ car should have.

I am in a position that I can wait to replace my car so I am going to at least wait until the Texas factory is spitting out model Ys. I am hoping the Texas factory produces more consistent quality cars and possibly have the newer battery cells.

unfortunately, I am not in a position to wait too long to replace my wife’s car with a 3 row mid size car. Based on the quality issues of the X and the fact it’s missing basic features like 360 surround camera, make it a deal breaker. As much as I want a Tesla it’s hard to justify when you can get a $50k car that has a nicer interior, 360 camera, Apple CarPlay, 2nd row seats that fold flat, etc. of course it won’t be an EV.

I’m surprised you are getting so many disagrees. The quality and customer service issues alone are good enough reason to wait (to see if they improve) or look for alternatives. The problems don’t seem to be unique to the Y, I have also been looking at the X and there seems to be a lot of issues and features that an $80k+ car should have.

I am in a position that I can wait to replace my car so I am going to at least wait until the Texas factory is spitting out model Ys. I am hoping the Texas factory produces more consistent quality cars and possibly have the newer battery cells.

unfortunately, I am not in a position to wait too long to replace my wife’s car with a 3 row mid size car. Based on the quality issues of the X and the fact it’s missing basic features like 360 surround camera, make it a deal breaker. As much as I want a Tesla it’s hard to justify when you can get a $50k car that has a nicer interior, 360 camera, Apple CarPlay, 2nd row seats that fold flat, etc. of course it won’t be an EV.

I don’t think anyone has argued that Tesla couldn’t use QA improvements. But I highly doubt it will be fixed in 6 months.

I don’t think anyone has argued that Tesla couldn’t use QA improvements. But I highly doubt it will be fixed in 6 months.

yeah you are probably right unfortunately. I will be waiting longer on the Y for at least the Texas factory to see if there is any improvement. Unfortunately will probably end up passing on the X as we need a 3 row car sooner. Can’t believe a $85k car doesn’t have Birdseye view, HUD, etc and numerous quality issues.

Totally No.

200 miles? Where do you live? Usa/Canada border here. 2018 M3 LR and in winter easily get 280-290. Absolutely my preferred car for road trips.

Do yourself (and us) a favor, rent a MY for 3 days in Turo and have a little road trip.

No point in all this theoretical hand-wringing and FUD and futures speculation.

Spending $300 on making an informed $30-60k expense is a no brainer.

Moderator Note: A handful of posts moved to Politics Quarantine, and another handful moved to the Climate Change thread. TMC isn't a place to discuss politics, and the science of climate change can be discussed in one of the well established threads on the topic.

Thanks for understanding and for keeping this thread on track.

Hmm, that's odd. It appears your experience is an anomaly since Tesla is again ranked first, and by a looong way:

Most and Least Satisfying Car Brands
Judging by what I’ve been reading and what I’ve witnessed first hand at the service center, I’m not an anomaly. I’ve been assured by both the salesman I dealt with as well as the people in service that I’m far from alone. There’s a weird cultish type of behavior I’ve experienced with owners excusing all of the issues though. To be clear, I’m not at all happy saying any of this. It sucks dealing with the mess. The engineering involved with the electric drivetrain and battery are awesome. But the cars are not built well. Don’t let the engineering excuse the lack of quality control.

Reactions: IA_TESSIE
Judging by what I’ve been reading and what I’ve witnessed first hand at the service center, I’m not an anomaly. I’ve been assured by both the salesman I dealt with as well as the people in service that I’m far from alone. There’s a weird cultish type of behavior I’ve experienced with owners excusing all of the issues though. To be clear, I’m not at all happy saying any of this. It sucks dealing with the mess. The engineering involved with the electric drivetrain and battery are awesome. But the cars are not built well. Don’t let the engineering excuse the lack of quality control.

I hear the Model Y's are built in a tent with very little automation. Is that true?

Not a tent but a sprung structure. The Tesla Freemont, CA factory General Assembly Line 4 (GA4) was originally going to be a temporary structure, may become permanent. Humans perform some tasks faster/better than robots but there is plenty of automation.

Tesla's new Model 3 assembly line inside a 'tent' is 'way better' and cheaper than other line, says Elon Musk - Electrek

Lol that Elon's definition of a "way better" factory means a "great view of the mountains" for the employees, as opposed to any mention of better build quality.

Last edited:

Tesla does have fit/finish issues. This is why they rank low in CR/JD Power. However their owners have very high satisfaction.
They are willing to overlook many issues and still like their cars.
Reliability issues should not be a surprise to anyone who did a little research.
Buying Tesla was one of the most stressful car buying decisions I have ever made. I kept on looking for alternatives. There were no good options. I wanted an EV and it was either Tesla, live with my highly reliable 13 old Acura MDX or get another ICE.
I did not buy any accessories until I accepted the car. I took a 3 page checklist and a friend who a car expert with me to pick up the car
I only put my old car for sale in the week I was supposed to get MY as I was prepared to have my car at the service center in the first month.
Tesla is only 12 years old. Japanese cars should to be ridiculed in 70's and look where they are now. However it took them a long time to be where they are today.

Fortunately for me I have not had any issue in the first 3 weeks of ownership. I still have to take my car to SC for things I found during my initial delivery. In addition to lack of issues It handles as good as Porsche Cayenne S I previously owned.

Even MY has improved in since the first one rolled out of the assembly line. It will keep on improving. For anyone who does not want to deal with fit/finish issues along with poor service experience they will be better of purchasing a Lexus/Acura.

I still dont get it.

My friends are saying they cant make 300 miles in cold weather without 2 stops, Tesla forum is full of people saying same and yet all i read here its not true.

I guess only way to find out is to buy new MY, spend $60k and see who is right.

Another thing, people in this forum are saying how Tesla is coming with new innovations frequently, how Tesla is years beyond competition....
And yet when i say waiting 4-5 months to get new and important upgrades i get answer nothing in next 2-3 years will be worth waiting.

I get it, you want your car to keep good value, you dont want new upgrades in new models because it will lower the value of your car, you want people to buy cars now because it will keep your stock $$ too...

But i still think waiting couple of months will be good idea if someone wants more range and new stuff for same or even lower price then we have now

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA