Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is not the right time for me to buy a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Model Y in early June. I only have 2,000 miles on it so far, due to work-at-home orders, but I love driving it. I had a Chevy Volt before this one, so I was ready for a fully electric car.

My wife, on on the other hand, still feels more comfortable with CE cars on longer trips. We just recently went on a 375 mile trip to Scottsdale, AZ. We were initially going to take the Tesla, but after she found out we would need to stop and Supercharge 3 times (25-30mins each stop) before getting to the hotel, she said “heck no”, as she also knew we would need 3 charges on the way-back, as well. So, we took the Honda Pilot instead and made it to Scottsdale (stopping once). For me, stopping 3 times would not be a big deal.

For some who travel long distances fairly frequently, it can take some getting-used-to. It may work for some, and not for others.

i fully agree with you.

But i would like to add one thing.

If Tesla wants to sell MY in more volume then lowering price or adding more range is must.

And it will happen, by next spring or summer.

Many buyers are not tech experts, many of them dont visit this forums, and many just listen what Tesla sales person is telling them.

Both of my friends with MY are regretting their purchase,they love the car, their family and kids love it, but car is not for long road trips as they hoped.

They thought 300 miles range is what they are getting, and thats not the case.
They are saying same thing i said, $55k for driving it around city is too much. And they still need to rent a car for longer trips.

I have not read all posts here but some people are trying to use math and calculator before trip.
I dont know if they have small kids but i find that not convenient at all

i fully agree with you.

If Tesla wants to sell MY in more volume then lowering price or adding more range is must.

Many buyers are not tech experts, many of them dont visit this forums, and many just listen what Tesla sales person is telling them.

Both of my friends with MY are regretting their purchase,they love the car, their family and kids love it, but car is not for long road trips as they hoped.

They are saying same thing i said, $55k for driving it around city is too much. And they still need to rent a car for longer trips.

I have not read all posts here but some people are trying to use math and calculator before trip.

BS, a friend of mine just got a Y (his first EV) and just did a 1000 mile road trip. He was ecstatic.

I just got my Model Y in early June. I only have 2,000 miles on it so far, due to work-at-home orders, but I love driving it. I had a Chevy Volt before this one, so I was ready for a fully electric car.

My wife, on on the other hand, still feels more comfortable with CE cars on longer trips. We just recently went on a 375 mile trip to Scottsdale, AZ. We were initially going to take the Tesla, but after she found out we would need to stop and Supercharge 3 times (25-30mins each stop) before getting to the hotel, she said “heck no”, as she also knew we would need 3 charges on the way-back, as well. So, we took the Honda Pilot instead and made it to Scottsdale (stopping once). For me, stopping 3 times would not be a big deal.

For some who travel long distances fairly frequently, it can take some getting-used-to. It may work for some, and not for others.

Why would you need to stop 3 times on a 375 miles trip?

Reactions: 2101Guy
i fully agree with you.

If you disagree, you can always purchase ICE vehicles and come back in the future. I just do not understand the psychology of people like you to post this kind of thread when you are pretty firm about not getting Tesla or any EVs in the near futute. Are you looking for sympathy from random users to justify your decision? Or are you simply looking to garner attention? If the purpose is latter, congratulations. You got it so move on.

Regarding road trip, first time EV owner and recent 2500 miles road trip from Texas to Arizona to Coloardo with my wife and 2 large dogs were done without hiccups. Of course, more rests were taken compared to ICE vehicles. However, it was actually great to grab some food and let our dogs take breaks while MY was being charged to the necessary level. Of course, the autopilot made the driving much more comfortable as well.

I know my pro-Tesla input won't make a difference for you but I geninuely love MY even though I am coming from 18' BMW X3 and 17' Audi A4. If you don't want to purchase MY now, good luck since you are missing the fun.

Because I didn’t want to get stranded. I used A Better Route Planner to plan my trip. I needed to stop in Cabazon, once more in Quartzsite, and again in Scottsdale.

Makes sense. That stretch has low density.

Although, why would you have stopped at Cabazon, CA instead of Indio, CA? Were you unable to start with 100%?

EDIT: Never mind, ABRP probably suggested it since it's a short diversion off the highway.

Last edited:
I still dont get it.

My friends are saying they cant make 300 miles in cold weather without 2 stops, Tesla forum is full of people saying same and yet all i read here its not true.

I guess only way to find out is to buy new MY, spend $60k and see who is right.

Another thing, people in this forum are saying how Tesla is coming with new innovations frequently, how Tesla is years beyond competition....
And yet when i say waiting 4-5 months to get new and important upgrades i get answer nothing in next 2-3 years will be worth waiting.

I get it, you want your car to keep good value, you dont want new upgrades in new models because it will lower the value of your car, you want people to buy cars now because it will keep your stock $$ too...

But i still think waiting couple of months will be good idea if someone wants more range and new stuff for same or even lower price then we have now
300 miles with 2 stops implies a 100-mile range.

Is that what you meant?

BS, a friend of mine just got a Y (his first EV) and just did a 1000 mile road trip. He was ecstatic.

I say B.S. too or they are just totally clueless friends.

The most common complaint on range are on SR Model 3’s and their complaint is usually they wished they ordered a LR.

Most all Tesla’s over 300 mile range are fine for long trips unless you live / travel in areas of the country that are sparse in Super Chargers.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and glide
I still dont get it.

My friends are saying they cant make 300 miles in cold weather without 2 stops, Tesla forum is full of people saying same and yet all i read here its not true.

I guess only way to find out is to buy new MY, spend $60k and see who is right.

Another thing, people in this forum are saying how Tesla is coming with new innovations frequently, how Tesla is years beyond competition....
And yet when i say waiting 4-5 months to get new and important upgrades i get answer nothing in next 2-3 years will be worth waiting.

I get it, you want your car to keep good value, you dont want new upgrades in new models because it will lower the value of your car, you want people to buy cars now because it will keep your stock $$ too...

But i still think waiting couple of months will be good idea if someone wants more range and new stuff for same or even lower price then we have now

One huge thing you are confusing is cold weather impact. On short trips it can be a killer because you are rewarming the cabin and in some cases the battery multiple times per charge. That’s when you will see as high as 40% hit. For long trips like 1000+ miles, you’re more likely to see a 20% hit in the long run.

Every degree matters though.

Difference in 0F vs 32F can be significant.

Model Y does have a heat pump so it should be better on both short and long trips but this is the first winter with Tesla’s and heat pumps.

Another thing you’ll see is folks using Sentry Mode and Preconditioning their cars. Those both eat battery. I never do either for that reason.

Makes sense. That stretch has low density.

Although, why would you have stopped at Cabazon, CA instead of Indio, CA? Were you unable to start with 100%?

EDIT: Never mind, ABRP probably suggested it since it's a short diversion off the highway.

A Better Route Planner told me to stop at Cabazon. It doesn’t really matter whether it was Cabazon or Indio, however, as I would have needed to recharge in Quartzsite regardless, and then again when arriving in Scottsdale (arriving with only 5% battery remaining).

If you disagree, you can always purchase ICE vehicles and come back in the future. I just do not understand the psychology of people like you to post this kind of thread when you are pretty firm about not getting Tesla or any EVs in the near futute. Are you looking for sympathy from random users to justify your decision? Or are you simply looking to garner attention? If the purpose is latter, congratulations. You got it so move on.

It’s called concern trolling, often from folks known as Care Bears. Many times they’re bearish on the stock and trying to dissuade people from buying a company’s products and/or suppressing the company’s stock.

I don’t know what this guy’s true motives are, but if it quacks like a duck...

While some would conjure up a worst case scenario to justify not buying a Tesla, reality is that for the most part, owners quickly figure out how to optimize their charging times.

If you want to come up with reasons not to buy an EV...they are there.
If you want to come up with reasons to ditch the gassers...they are there as well.

My Long Range X has become the best car for road trips ever. Lots of space to bring stuff, quiet cruising on Autopilot and not as expensive to fuel plus less polluting than a gasser.

What do you mean ICE range is unlimited? Wouldn’t it be limited by the fuel tank size?
Exactly. Another bit of nonsense.

Why do people feel the need to come into a Tesla forum and bash Tesla’s and EVs in general? Most folks here aren’t fanboys, but we will defend the brand against stupid statements and misconceptions, of which there are a lot.

Normally I choose hotels that has overnight charging so I can arrive at a hotel with 5% left and be fine. I suppose each to their own?

Yes, of course. I think that goes without saying. You do you.

We were staying with friends at a hotel that had only one level 2 charger. So, I would have to drive 10 miles away, and 10 miles back to the hotel if the charger was full, as I’m not getting up at 3am just to check and see if it became available. I am not choosing my hotel based on my car, if I don’t have to. And I didn’t have to, as I still have an ICE car. So, all was good. It’s nothing against Tesla or EV’s, otherwise I wouldn’t own one.

Reactions: jsight