Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is not the right time for me to buy a new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The winter driving range controversy could be addressed with a simple questionnaire for any prospective buyer:

In what state do you live?
Select the model, wheel configuration and type of tires.
Estimate your typical highway speed: 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85
Will you use the cabin climate control in winter, yes or no (will only use the seat heaters)?

It should be easy to estimate the Wh/mile, the estimate the driving range. The buyer should sign off that they understand, accept the estimated driving range before purchase.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
Judging by what I’ve been reading and what I’ve witnessed first hand at the service center, I’m not an anomaly. I’ve been assured by both the salesman I dealt with as well as the people in service that I’m far from alone. There’s a weird cultish type of behavior I’ve experienced with owners excusing all of the issues though. To be clear, I’m not at all happy saying any of this. It sucks dealing with the mess. The engineering involved with the electric drivetrain and battery are awesome. But the cars are not built well. Don’t let the engineering excuse the lack of quality control.
I fully agree.

But at the end of the day, Tesla is the only car company in the US selling exclusively EVs, with the range and charging network to be competitive with ICE vehicles, all with the express goal of accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. That's what ultimately made me finally get a Model 3 rather than wait yet another "4-6 months" for a Leaf Plus.

I put that in quotations because had I chosen to wait for the specs from a different company, which I was close to doing because of Tesla's well documented issues, I would have had to wait far longer than 4-6 months for a car that would actually not deliver on the specs as advertised.

Lots of cultish behavior. No denying that. But I'm assuming for many people, like myself, it's about values. I'm willing to compromise on a lot of the issues - within reason - to support the transition of culture and energy away from a toxic industry that has had a chokehold on US society and its economy. That doesn't mean I won't complain about Tesla's BS. But I'm glad to not be supporting car companies who make the majority of their profits via ICE.

I hope the continued pressure on Tesla will result in improved QC/CS, or a viable competitor product. I work in manufacturing and believe that addressing QC is easier than hiring a world class engineering team.

Oh btw, I love driving and especially love roadtripping in a Tesla. It really is a pleasure.

TL: DR I support the mission and the company but have no brand loyalty.

Last edited:
I love my Model Y, despite all the little cosmetic issues (and I'm a very picky person). It drives like a spaceship. It does take a couple thousand miles to "absorb" the electric drive into your body. Once you get used to it, there's a warm tingly feeling whenever you feel that responsive acceleration and control. I'm not even talking about going fast. The level of control (very stable, no body roll, no engine reving, etc.) you feel with a Tesla is amazing. My only gripe is that when it gets colder, the pedal feel is different since regen braking is reduced.

Reactions: 2101Guy and house9
Sounds like you have many friends with Tesla MY to have all that confirmation. If you don't trust your friends, why are you asking here? If you do trust them, ask them pointed questions like "Do you have buyer's regret or would you buy it again?". Maybe you should look at their cars for fit and finish and decide for yourself (also note the VIN). If they are your friends, you probably can get a test ride from a few of them. Take advantage of this friendship and due some real live research rather than bicker with people you don't know or trust on this forum.

50 miles round trip? No way is this a threshold for changing your perspective, or at least not in a bad way. How do you justify this statement?

How is an EV “more hassle” than ICE? Every day, in the morning, my car is fully charged .. does than happen with an ICE? In 18 months of ownership my maintenance cost have been zero with No trips for oil changes or other scheduled stuff .. none. How is that more hassle than ICE?

Did you read my post at all? Everyone's situation is different. Long road trip will change how long you need to get to destination. I said driving style change for long road trip, not hassel. Please read before you decide to lash out.

Did you read my post at all? Everyone's situation is different. Long road trip will change how long you need to get to destination. I said driving style change for long road trip, not hassel. Please read before you decide to lash out.

You said: "Let’s be honest here. Unless we are talking about daily commuter of less than 50miles round trip, there is no doubt owning an EV changes your driving experience and life style on the road."

I challenged this assertion and asked you to justify it, since I cannot see how such a low threshold would "change your driving experience". My commute is longer than that, and the only change for me is that I dont have to stop at gas stations every week to refuel.

You said: "I don’t drive enough to even justify owning a Tesla (economic POV) and it’s definitely more hassle compare to ICE."

I asked how an EV was more hassle than an ICE, since you gave no examples of what that the extra "hassle" was.

I didn't comment on "driving style" at all. So, basically I challenged you to clarify and justify your assertions. I dont call that lashing out, but if you felt that then I apologize.

Last edited:
You said: "Let’s be honest here. Unless we are talking about daily commuter of less than 50miles round trip, there is no doubt owning an EV changes your driving experience and life style on the road."

I challenged this assertion and asked you to justify it, since I cannot see how such a low threshold would "change your driving experience". My commute is longer than that, and the only change for me is that I dont have to stop at gas stations every week to refuel.

You said: "I don’t drive enough to even justify owning a Tesla (economic POV) and it’s definitely more hassle compare to ICE."

I asked how an EV was more hassle than an ICE, since you gave no examples of what that the extra "hassle" was.

I didn't comment on "driving style" at all. So, basically I challenged you to clarify and justify your assertions. I dont call that lashing out, but if you felt that then I apologize.

Sure. You are pulling out of context. But Here we go.

As stated, I park in a municipal garage. I don’t have the luxury of charging at home. While the garage has non Tesla charging stations, they are often full.

Luckily I don’t use my car as daily commuter only on weekends. For the most part, driving an EV remain unchanged.

so my comment is for longer road trips, for me that’s usually 100-150 miles each way during ski seasons here up on north east.

My usual Airbnb house doesn’t have anything but 120v and now I am thinking i need to choose destination hotel with EV chargers. We usually go with extended family staying in the same house, now I will force to find one that would give me ability to charge beyond 120v or find a hotel with them.

Or now maybe choose a ski resort with destination chargers.

So owning a Tesla doesn’t change your road trip experience ? You don’t find yourself adjust your usual routes to follow a recommended route that you can charge? You don’t find yourself hanging out in charging destination longer than you would like? You don’t find yourself arriving later than your friends and family at long trip destination? Picking accommodation that has chargers?

All I am saying is that you will adjust your driving experience on long trips. You may not see them as hassle but no doubt it’s different than driving an ICE. But maybe 90% of your driving is daily commute so we can all agree to disagree.

yeah you are probably right unfortunately. I will be waiting longer on the Y for at least the Texas factory to see if there is any improvement. Unfortunately will probably end up passing on the X as we need a 3 row car sooner. Can’t believe a $85k car doesn’t have Birdseye view, HUD, etc and numerous quality issues.

Because it has a couple dozen things those other cars don’t have. Birds eye view is coming. Might not be quite as good as some cars but we’ll see.

Have you driven an X? It’s absolutely unreal.

A new factory is more likely to have teething pains than an old (experienced) one. New staff etc.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Because it has a couple dozen things those other cars don’t have. Birds eye view is coming. Might not be quite as good as some cars but we’ll see.

Have you driven an X? It’s absolutely unreal.

A new factory is more likely to have teething pains than an old (experienced) one. New staff etc.

i have not driven an X, so tough to compare the interior and features to something like the Kia telluride interior that we absolutely loved. Unfortunately the nearest Tesla store to me is about 4hrs away.

what are some of the couple dozen things a model x has than say a loaded $47k Kia telluride doesn’t have? Obviously the X is an EV, which is pretty much the only reason we have it on our shortlist. But that alone can’t justify the $40k price difference. These 2 cars are about the same size, so what additional value is in that additional $40k?

Sure. You are pulling out of context. But Here we go.

As stated, I park in a municipal garage. I don’t have the luxury of charging at home. While the garage has non Tesla charging stations, they are often full.

Luckily I don’t use my car as daily commuter only on weekends. For the most part, driving an EV remain unchanged.

so my comment is for longer road trips, for me that’s usually 100-150 miles each way during ski seasons here up on north east.

My usual Airbnb house doesn’t have anything but 120v and now I am thinking i need to choose destination hotel with EV chargers. We usually go with extended family staying in the same house, now I will force to find one that would give me ability to charge beyond 120v or find a hotel with them.

Or now maybe choose a ski resort with destination chargers.

So owning a Tesla doesn’t change your road trip experience ? You don’t find yourself adjust your usual routes to follow a recommended route that you can charge? You don’t find yourself hanging out in charging destination longer than you would like? You don’t find yourself arriving later than your friends and family at long trip destination? Picking accommodation that has chargers?

All I am saying is that you will adjust your driving experience on long trips. You may not see them as hassle but no doubt it’s different than driving an ICE. But maybe 90% of your driving is daily commute so we can all agree to disagree.

Unless you have overnight easy access charging at home, I’d never recommend an EV. That’s an entirely different topic than the OP presented. Even free charging at work, or super charger a mike away wouldn’t cut it for me. I’m not at work every day nor do I want to sit in the car for charging on a regular basis.

You want an automatic “fill up” (essentially zero extra effort) while you sleep. That’s what makes EV compete with ICE. With out that, EV can be a hassle.

Reactions: ArtK and MrWattson
i have not driven an X, so tough to compare the interior and features to something like the Kia telluride interior that we absolutely loved. Unfortunately the nearest Tesla store to me is about 4hrs away.

what are some of the couple dozen things a model x has than say a loaded $47k Kia telluride doesn’t have? Obviously the X is an EV, which is pretty much the only reason we have it on our shortlist. But that alone can’t justify the $40k price difference. These 2 cars are about the same size, so what additional value is in that additional $40k?

Feeling like your not in car. There is nothing in your natural view other than the rear view mirror. Acceleration with zero noise. Handling like no other SUV. Best in class safety (that alone is priceless). I have Solar and free Supercharging so I pay nothing for fuel. Yet I’m close to the speed of a Hell Cat with no guilt and nobody around me even knows it because it’s silent. Autopilot/FSD - I’m literally forgetting how to drive on the highway. When I take my volt on the highway I’m all over the the place. The massive Navigation screen. Incredible entertainment system.

I had a 2017 Jeep Summit (arguably nicer than that Kia). I loved that Jeep. But totally apples and oranges.

You have to drive one to understand.

I like to hear different people's perspective. For every person that buys a Tesla there are a million others that don't. Let them speak.
They won't be on this forum. Perhaps post your question on the Hummer, Jeep or Jaguar forums?

Meanwhile I come from 2006, 2010 and 2012 Prius, the last a plug-in. Before that were all Volvo Turbo wagons. Love my MY and I let it do most of the driving. Impatiently looking forward to real FSD.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanCar
I dont get it.

I guess only way to find out is to buy new spend $60k and see who is right.

yeah, clear you don’t get it. No, you don’t need to buy one. Rent one for 3 days.

Understand renting is a slightly substandard experience relative to owning it unless you already have a L2 charger at home.

other than that... cool story bro.

I still dont get it.

My friends are saying they cant make 300 miles in cold weather without 2 stops, Tesla forum is full of people saying same and yet all i read here its not true.

I guess only way to find out is to buy new MY, spend $60k and see who is right.

Another thing, people in this forum are saying how Tesla is coming with new innovations frequently, how Tesla is years beyond competition....
And yet when i say waiting 4-5 months to get new and important upgrades i get answer nothing in next 2-3 years will be worth waiting.

I get it, you want your car to keep good value, you dont want new upgrades in new models because it will lower the value of your car, you want people to buy cars now because it will keep your stock $$ too...

But i still think waiting couple of months will be good idea if someone wants more range and new stuff for same or even lower price then we have now

For me, I always wanted a Tesla. The brand, the look, the performance, the tech, you are buying all of these things wrapped up in a car. I am a fairly utilitarian person but I have really looked at Teslas for years due to something hard to describe about the cars. That being said, if a car that fit me better came along I would look there too. When the model Y was announced I knew it would finally be the one I try. I also have 3 kids and the M3 is too small for all of us and quite frankly the other EV options did not inspire me on the technical or looks side. The Y is just right and the back holds A TON of lacrosse and football gear. I have had it for a month and quite frankly will never buy an ICE car again. The change in perspective is quite extraordinary once you drive one. I also have a fairly new 2019 Tahoe and now every time I start it I cringe at the sound and the exhaust. Will I be selling it right now? No I will not and that is because I still like the flexibility of the ICE for long trips to see family in the midwest and Florida plus it is LARGE. For me, all in on EVs is a few years away but it is close. Everyone has their own perspective but the Y was cheaper than my loaded Grand Cherokee after the $5k back from NJ and the lack of state sales tax. I loved my GC but this car is simply amazing on a whoile another level. Are we at the inflection point for society to switch entirely? Not yet but we are likely 2-3 years away now and that is all I needed to know it was time to make the jump. I am so glad I did but it worked for me as a second car. My wife fell in love, my 16 yo son who is six months away from his license wanted the Y over a fully loaded Wrangler. When that happens you know something special is happening.

The new batteries on the Y are a few years out. The CT and Semi are the priority there and will be for the foreseeable future. Until then there will likely be small improvements to the Y as the market demands them. The X refresh is what I am waiting on with new batteries and faster charging. By then the Tahoe will be 3-4 years old and that is the time I refresh.

Everyone has to make the decision that best works for them. This is simply the unavoidable amazing future, similar to when I got my first iPhone and it clicked, What a feeling!

Why did I wait so long? That is the question I ask myself every day, not why didn't I wait.

Reactions: Big Earl
I just got my Model Y in early June. I only have 2,000 miles on it so far, due to work-at-home orders, but I love driving it. I had a Chevy Volt before this one, so I was ready for a fully electric car.

My wife, on on the other hand, still feels more comfortable with CE cars on longer trips. We just recently went on a 375 mile trip to Scottsdale, AZ. We were initially going to take the Tesla, but after she found out we would need to stop and Supercharge 3 times (25-30mins each stop) before getting to the hotel, she said “heck no”, as she also knew we would need 3 charges on the way-back, as well. So, we took the Honda Pilot instead and made it to Scottsdale (stopping once). For me, stopping 3 times would not be a big deal.

For some who travel long distances fairly frequently, it can take some getting-used-to. It may work for some, and not for others.

Reactions: MrWattson