Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm kind of curious whether they gave any detail about what is needed besides replacing the actual headlight... I did get my headlights replaced by service with the ones with the row of leds as part of a due bill setup at delivery. However, I haven't been able to see the lights changing at all when turning the wheel yet. Either the effect is very discrete, or something else than replacing the actual headlights is needed (harness?).

I'm kind of curious whether they gave any detail about what is needed besides replacing the actual headlight... I did get my headlights replaced by service with the ones with the row of leds as part of a due bill setup at delivery. However, I haven't been able to see the lights changing at all when turning the wheel yet. Either the effect is very discrete, or something else than replacing the actual headlights is needed (harness?).

Which SC was this? I read that the lights don’t move if the vehicle isn’t moving.

According to my SC, the "kit" is a bundling of both headlights together with possible some other things needed to install them. According the service manager, the lights normally come individually but Tesla is now needing to bundle and ship 2 together for each retrofit case.

So disappointed after getting this service... There is no Adaptive Headlights option in Controls -> Settings -> Vehicle section as per the manual and the headlight housing is cracked, apparently from forced fitting, with glue applied to fix the crack. Seriously, so annoyed... I noticed these two issues after I got back home. Palo Alto SC.

Btw - the headlights part numbers that they installed are 1053571-00-D (right side) and 1053570-00-D (left side).

IMG_6542_1.jpg IMG_6544_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: xborg
So disappointed after getting this service... There is no Adaptive Headlights option in Controls -> Settings -> Vehicle section as per the manual and the headlight housing is cracked, apparently from forced fitting, with glue applied to fix the crack. Seriously, so annoyed... I noticed these two issues after I got back home. Palo Alto SC.

Btw - the headlights part numbers that they installed are 1053571-00-D (right side) and 1053570-00-D (left side).

View attachment 254014 View attachment 254015

That sucks. I think the lesson here is that WE need to QA the work before leaving the SC. My suggestion:

• Are the right lights installed?
    • Confirm they have bulbs A1-A3
  • Is there physical damage to the:
    • Hood
    • Fenders
    • Bumper (needs to be removed for the install)
    • Frunk lining (needs to be removed for the install)
    • Frunk plastic panels (needs to be removed for the install)
    • Headlights
  • Power on the car
    • Are there any new noises as the fans / HVAC spin up?
    • My car currently makes a noise like the fan blades hitting the shroud at low RPM near the front bumper
  • Is there a setting for the adaptive lights?
  • Does it toggle on/off properly?
  • Enable the setting
  • Put the car in drive and turn the wheel left
    • Do the lights incrementally illuminate?
  • Turn the wheel right
  • Disable the setting
  • Turn the wheel left
    • Confirm the lights don't illuminate
  • Turn the wheel right
  • Power off the car
  • Are there any new noises as the fans / HVAC spin down?

That sucks. I think the lesson here is that WE need to QA the work before leaving the SC. My suggestion:

• Are the right lights installed?
    • Confirm they have bulbs A1-A3
  • Is there physical damage to the:
    • Hood
    • Fenders
    • Bumper (needs to be removed for the install)
    • Frunk lining (needs to be removed for the install)
    • Frunk plastic panels (needs to be removed for the install)
    • Headlights
  • Power on the car
    • Are there any new noises as the fans / HVAC spin up?
    • My car currently makes a noise like the fan blades hitting the shroud at low RPM near the front bumper
  • Is there a setting for the adaptive lights?
  • Does it toggle on/off properly?
  • Enable the setting
  • Put the car in drive and turn the wheel left
  • Turn the wheel right
  • Disable the setting
  • Turn the wheel left
  • Turn the wheel right
  • Power off the car
  • Are there any new noises as the fans / HVAC spin down?
No issues with fans/HVAC that I noticed. However, one of the headlights is a little recessed than the bumper and the other one (the cracked one) is a little protruding outside. Both of them not flush with the bumper. Argh...

Regarding the missing setting in menu, I called Tesla Support (since the SC is now closed) and they told me that they will push a new firmware update to my car with this setting enabled. Sounds like a bunch of BS, but we will see.

I just spoke with Tesla Support again and they told me that they got a response back from engineering and I will need to take the car back to the SC for them to enable it. It feels like I am working full time on getting the issues fixed with my car at this point.

My timeline of ownership so far:
  • 9/25 - Bought the car and delivered without the adaptive headlights. I don't even want to comment about my mediocre delivery experience, but giving them the benefit of EOQ delivery rush.
  • 9/26 - Trunk stops closing automatically and issues with wheel alignment
  • 9/26 - Drop off the car for repair at the Palo Alto SC
  • 9/27 - Got the car back with alignment done and trunk issue resolved.
  • 10/6 - GPS location got stuck in a 25 mph speed limit zone limiting my use of TACC and AP. Fixes itself after few hours.
  • 10/10 and 10/12 - AP/TACC abruptly decides to disable itself with "Cruise not available" message. Tesla support investigating the logs, no updates on the issue so far.
  • 10/13 - Dropped off the car to get adaptive headlights replaced. The SC was supposed to call me when the parts were in stock, but no one called me. I randomly called for a follow up and they told me that the parts are here.
  • 10/14 - Picked up the car with a bad job done with the headlights. Right headlight is cracked and glue applied to fix it. The feature itself isn't enabled and requires me to go back to the SC.
I miss the good old days before I bought this car...

Is it just my luck or other people having these issues as well?

I just spoke with Tesla Support again and they told me that they got a response back from engineering and I will need to take the car back to the SC for them to enable it. It feels like I am working full time on getting the issues fixed with my car at this point.

• 9/25 - Bought the car and delivered without the adaptive headlights. I don't even want to comment about my mediocre delivery experience, but giving them the benefit of EOQ delivery rush.
  • 10/6 - GPS location got stuck in a 25 mph speed limit zone limiting my use of TACC and AP. Fixes itself after few hours.
  • 10/10 and 10/12 - AP/TACC abruptly decides to disable itself with "Cruise not available" message. Tesla support investigating the logs, no updates on the issue so far.
  • 10/13 - Dropped off the car to get adaptive headlights replaced. The SC was supposed to call me when the parts were in stock, but no one called me. I randomly called for a follow up and they told me that the parts are here.
  • 10/14 - Picked up the car with a bad job done with the headlights. Right headlight is cracked and glue applied to fix it. The feature itself isn't enabled and requires me to go back to the SC.

I picked up my car on 9/22. I've experienced similar problems:
Intermittent issues with trunk closing
No adaptive headlights
Frozen GPS fixed with OTA command from support
Rear driver side door won't open from the inside even though child protective locking is disabled

My SC is also Palo Alto. I had an appointment for 10/14 but cancelled for more pressing matters. I guess I'll wait to get the headlights fixed once they get their act together. I still haven't heard back about whether they have the parts to replace the headlights.

• Informative

I ordered late July, late August production, early September delivery on a Saturday. On the following Monday, I took the car for tinting and clear bra. The clear bra folks found a hair in the clear coat and wet sand scratches. Both in the hood and severe enough that clear bra couldn't be applied there.

Once the tinting and wrapping was done everywhere else, I took the car to a Tesla certified paint and body shop to get the hood reworked.

Upon pickup, there were all sorts of pinhole somethings in the hood. I rejected the work and had them redo it. Turns out they didn't polish the hood enough after the final layers of clear coat were applied. I noticed smudges around the driver door handle.

Turns out the one smudge on the door handle is actually a light scratch. Likely from the paint shop. I take the car back to them. They half ass sand the handle and strip a good bit of chrome and the general shine from it. Concurrently, I noticed the driver side footwell light and panel are missing.

I take the car to the Tesla SC the next day. They order the light and panel. That was 9/26 and I still don't have them yet, but they did replace the door handle for free while I waited.

Yesterday my wife notices a weird sound when I close my door. Turns out the interior paneling separates from the door frame if I close the door too hard. That'll be another thing for the SC to look at when I bring it in for the light and panel.

In addition to ALL of this, I'm also waiting on the proper headlight replacement.

Now that being said, I have to say the Tesla customer service people have been quite nice and convey a sense of sympathy. You may doubt the level of sincerity but at least they put forth the effort and that still counts for something.

Tomorrow I finally get the hood wrapped so I can stop worrying about rock chips and start pushing the performance of the car. I've been driving it with kid gloves for the past month.

• Informative

In addition the other issues with headlights, notice how one of the headlights "bleeds" light out at the top. Attaching the other one as a reference (with cracks). Ugh...

Attachments

• IMG_6562_1a.jpg
    IMG_6562_1a.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6564_1a.jpg
    IMG_6564_1a.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Informative
Reactions: Bebop