Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update.

I GOT THE ADAPTIVE LIGHTS INSTALLED TODAY!!! This was unexpected as I took the car in to fix an issue with the driver side door panel and diagnose the computer systems to see why OAT updates were failing about 50% of the time. They just happen to have the lights got those installed.

I'm still waiting for the engineering team to change the options on my car in their system to have the adaptive lights, then I can get an update to enable the feature. Otherwise, the install seems to have been done well. No noticeable damage to the fenders, hood, or bumper. And the PPF looks ok as well. I just need to get the headlight film reinstalled.
Noooo.. I totally forgot I had my lights done as well with Xpel!!!

My Model S 75D built date is Oct 2017 and took delivery in beginning of November without PUP. It has the adaptive lights installed and was tested in my driveway. Also has the option to disable/enable the function.

lights.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
My service center added me to the list of people requiring a retrofit about a month ago. I called them the other day to check the progress, and they said that they have the driver's side light in stock and waiting, but not the passenger's side. I'm sort of confused as to how that happens, but oh well, at least there's theoretically progress being made.

No, they didn't offer to do just one side now, and the other later (and I would not have accepted if they had, so that's a positive note).

Ok so my car was delivered last week in the UK, did not have the correct headlights, accepted delivery on condition that the correct lights would be fitted. Replacement lights were ordered. Went in today to have them fitted an hour later had a call to say that they ran in to a stumbling block and could not fit them, they were now have to wait for a Service Bulitin from Tesla on how to proceed.

This may not have a quick conclusion...

I've brought in my car today for delivery repairs and the headlights. They acted like they never heard about this lights before, but I know these pieces of acting from other cars.

We'll see what happens. I don't even mind the lights, but they have to compensate otherwise.

I had my lights installed today (thanks Iris for helping move this along!), and everything went smoothly. The bad news is that I can now confirm what most everyone has already said about the lights: they're pretty worthless.

It was dark out as I was driving home, plus I ran some more errands later in the night. I was specifically looking for the lights in corners and curves, but I didn't see anything. Not even something to make me say "wait, that's it?" Nothing. According to the manual, they're always active, so it's not like I'm missing a setting. Maybe my car thinks it doesn't have the lights, so the software isn't activating them? Who knows.

Also, I didn't get a firmware update with the service visit, despite being on .46.8 and .48 being out. Probably doesn't actually matter any, but interesting regardless.

I had my lights installed today (thanks Iris for helping move this along!), and everything went smoothly. The bad news is that I can now confirm what most everyone has already said about the lights: they're pretty worthless.

I think they only work at low speeds and while in drive. Try putting your car in drive and turning the wheel without actually driving.

I have found them useful for turning into my dark, narrow driveway at night, and slightly useful for turning at intersections at very low speeds. They are not "cornering" lights, like you would expect to be helpful at higher speeds on curvy roads. I think Tesla honestly oversold this feature quite a bit. I suppose they could still release a software update that makes them active at higher speeds?

I suppose they could still release a software update that makes them active at higher speeds?
It won't help if they are active. They are basically designed to shine roughly into this (6) area and both the range and the angle are off when travelling at higher speeds, because you would wan't the light more around that (5) area.

My guess is also that they are probably just tied to the steering wheel angle and corners you take at higher speeds usually wider so that is probably why they don't turn on.

urPNGSA.jpg

To my knowledge, it is actually a setting in the menu. So you better check that one ;)

I've drove one with the lights and although it's nothing special it is without a doubt noticable in every corner.
Assuming the correct hardware (the headlights) are in place, it is both a setting in the menu, but you also have to push the stalk away from the driver to activate it (as opposed to pulling it towards for quick high beam flash). It was not obvious to me at first, either.

What my DS said today when I asked for an update

"Hope all is well! Service department would be the ones who get these updates to reach out once available. I checked in with them and they stated that it is just showing as 2018 and actual date is still to be determined.

They will contact you once available, but as of now all we know is it will be in 2018."

It was dark out as I was driving home, plus I ran some more errands later in the night. I was specifically looking for the lights in corners and curves, but I didn't see anything. Not even something to make me say "wait, that's it?" Nothing. According to the manual, they're always active, so it's not like I'm missing a setting. Maybe my car thinks it doesn't have the lights, so the software isn't activating them? Who knows.

Also, I didn't get a firmware update with the service visit, despite being on .46.8 and .48 being out. Probably doesn't actually matter any, but interesting regardless.

Make sure your settings are correct.

I tested my lights in the driveway at night and I noticed while turning the wheel to the left/right the adaptive lights would turn on similarly to Bjorn video. You should notice a difference

lights.jpg