Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throttled supercharger speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My throttled speeds are steadily declining. Today my max was 73 kwh and I started with a conditioned battery with 7 percent charge. According to tesla there is nothing wrong my car and also according to their diagnostics my pack is performing well beyond what it should be right now. My range has only dropped 6 percent in 3yrs. Yet my charging speed sucks butt. I am at a 150kwh v2 charger right now and I am here alone. Tesla has confirmed there are no issues with this charging station. I keep getting referred to the dealer for further help. The last time I went they charged me thousands to replace the louvers that were still operable and they also replaced the horns because they said the units started to rust and was causing thermal resistance or something. Still there was no improvement in charging speeds. Anyone have any ideas that could help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-203811_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-203811_Video Player.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_20210104-203757_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-203757_Video Player.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_20210104-203749_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-203749_Video Player.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: InternetDude
Update: sitting at SC now. I was about 25%ish when started. Been driving the car for 1.5hrs so plenty warm. Started 25% and 78kw. 15 min later, 62kw and 45%.

no fan noise to cool the charging. It’s mid 40F here in NJ.

Also, funny thing my car is on sleep no controls, no music, no HVAC. Black screens. This happened last time too and woke up after 15min but here we are still dark. Opening the door will wake it up then shutting the door the MCU will be dark.

• Love
Reactions: Dublin 'Eer
Is this just older Model S? And are people who have been affected by this regularly supercharge (outside of roadtrips and long distance driving)?
I have an 17 model and according to tesla I'm experiencing this because I've supercharged more than 9k kwh. That's when the first limit was added of 132kw max. Once i hit 11k kw I was throttled even more down to 90kw max. I'm told by tesla it won't get any worse however the most I've been able to get for the last month is 70kw. It also took me wasting thousands to figure this out. They claimed I needed several repairs on components that were still operable in order to regain my charging speeds. When that didn't work they found out that I had been throttled

Update: sitting at SC now. I was about 25%ish when started. Been driving the car for 1.5hrs so plenty warm. Started 25% and 78kw. 15 min later, 62kw and 45%.

no fan noise to cool the charging. It’s mid 40F here in NJ.

Also, funny thing my car is on sleep no controls, no music, no HVAC. Black screens. This happened last time too and woke up after 15min but here we are still dark. Opening the door will wake it up then shutting the door the MCU will be dark.

What is your battery size? Have you upgraded to 2020.48.30?

I have an 17 model and according to tesla I'm experiencing this because I've supercharged more than 9k kwh. That's when the first limit was added of 132kw max. Once i hit 11k kw I was throttled even more down to 90kw max. I'm told by tesla it won't get any worse however the most I've been able to get for the last month is 70kw. It also took me wasting thousands to figure this out. They claimed I needed several repairs on components that were still operable in order to regain my charging speeds. When that didn't work they found out that I had been throttled
Wow that sucks. Given we are in some ways encouraged to superfhxarge for road trips. And those who don’t have home charging that’s no good.

Reactions: Vthoma11
@Dublin 'Eer
2015 p85DL, rarely supercharge

why? Are there claims the newest FW fixes issues I and we are experiencing l?

I have a service appointment scheduled since I am still in extended warranty. Otherwise, I would request latest FW pushed to me.

Yes—supposedly the throttling is removed for at least some vehicles with the latest update. I’m still anxiously awaiting the update but reports are promising. I’ve seen an owner of a nearly identical vehicle to mine (2016 S-75) report his charge rates had been restored. I’m not sure about the 85s, but I hope they are fixed as well.