Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket While Using AUTO-PILOT " Failure To Stay In Lane" "Reckless"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree Doug...I'm not sure that many police officers would show up to defend their rational of a charge of reckless / dangerous / careless driving on a driver who the officer had not witnessed straying from his / her lane...

If the police officer doesn't show up to the court date, which is actually fairly common as they are busy people, then it will get tossed.

If the police officer doesn't show up to the court date, which is actually fairly common as they are busy people, then it will get tossed.

Had that happen under very weird circumstances: I was stopped in a line of traffic in downtown Toronto. A cop walked up to me, tapped on my window and told me to pull in to a nearby church parking lot. When I got there, there were about a dozen other cars. We all looked at each other and just shrugged. The cop eventually came and just handed us all speeding tickets without saying a word or other wise engaging. I was incensed. I decided to go in to court to fight this BS. The cop didn't show and the ticket was tossed. When I went to the clerk to get the paperwork dealt with, they told me the cop had been fired. Seems his modus operandi was to hand out tickets like this assuming enough would just pay them without going to court and he'd make his quota. He had set the ticket to where I'd have to pay a fine, but wouldn't get any points.

I drive in New York, for example Long Island Expressway is 55MPH, typically people drive around 70MPH, but tend to go up to 75. And cops start issuing tickets 76MPH and over. It is odd you can get a speeding ticket "3MPH" over....

New Jersey Turnpike is even crazier... Speed Limit is 65MPH and most people drive around 75-80MPH, I don't even know when people start getting tickets.

Cops dont' want to unnecessarily piss people off, so they give some slack in their ticketing, but the law doesn't have the same grace, so they are within their rights to ticket for 1 over. That said, at 1 over, you are quite right to question the calibration of their detection instruments because there's not a lot of room for error there. (btw. calibration of your speedometer is NOT a valid defence, in fact admitting that it's out could actually get you an additional ticket for not maintaining it properly)

Cops dont' want to unnecessarily piss people off, so they give some slack in their ticketing, but the law doesn't have the same grace, so they are within their rights to ticket for 1 over. That said, at 1 over, you are quite right to question the calibration of their detection instruments because there's not a lot of room for error there. (btw. calibration of your speedometer is NOT a valid defence, in fact admitting that it's out could actually get you an additional ticket for not maintaining it properly)

Look, I got a ticket 20MPH over and even then the cop didn't show up. These cops probably have daily court dates, they can't spend everyday in Court.

Look, I got a ticket 20MPH over and even then the cop didn't show up. These cops probably have daily court dates, they can't spend everyday in Court.

The trick is to show up to the first date and then get your date rescheduled so you have more time to prepare. It helps if you requested a bunch of information via discovery that they likely won't provide on time.

They try to schedule all of the officer's cases on the same day, so if you get moved he'd have to make a special trip to your rescheduled court appearance.

Just curious: How much would a ticket for being 5 mph above the speed limit cost in the US.

Here in Germany there is a price list:

Column 1 is the speed above the limit
column 2 is the penalty in Euro (almost = US$ nowadays)
column 3 is the points (too many points accumulated in a short period of time might revoke your licence)
column 4 is the amount of vacation your drivers licence gets.

This is for out of town, within city limits is a bit more expensive.

When the measurements are made about 3 % of the speed are subtracted for inaccuracy of the meters (depending on the equipment used for measurement). I have never ever gotten any ticket for being 5 km/h over. I do my very best to go no more than 10 over, so I am risking 10 Euro max.

Geschwindigkeitsüberschreitung AußerortsBußgeldPunkteFahrverbot
bis 10 km/h10 EUR

11 bis 15 km/h20 EUR

16 bis 20 km/h30 EUR

21 bis 25 km/h70 EUR1

26 bis 30 km/h80 EUR1

31 bis 40 km/h120 EUR1

41 bis 50 km/h160 EUR2 1 Monat
51 bis 60 km/h240 EUR2 1 Monat
61 bis 70 km/h440 EUR2 2 Monate
über 70 km/h600 EUR2 3 Monate

Tesla isn't currently, and certainly won't be alone in the Autosteer functionality of their vehicles moving forward...the police can't pull over everyone, so they will eventually have to learn how to deal with vehicles "wandering" within their lane.
And how are they now supposed to know who is drunk/texting and who is using some autosteer functionality? They can't, so they will pull you over, which in my opinion is completely justified. And if you get at the wrong cop who is annoyed at this don't be surprised if you get a ticked for speeding.

It's up to the manufacturers to make this software work without bouncing from lane marking to lane marking.
Just curious: How much would a ticket for being 5 mph above the speed limit cost in the US.
Was just wondering the same. Like that would just be a waste of time here to fight this.

Also here if you get a ticket they usually already account for a margin of error. So a 73mph ticket probably means you were actually driving 75mph.

Most places in North America have a similar sliding scale, that's part of the reason they don't tend to ticket for 1 over, it's a whole bunch of hassle for a minimal fine for something that everyone does anyway.
That said, the general rule with the police is that if you piss them off they WILL find something to ticket you for, and if 1 over the limit is all they've got, they'll use it.

In Virginia it is $6 per mile over the speed limit + costs + processing fee. In my county, that would be $30 + $81 + 4% for a credit card payment. If you were willing to drive to the court and pay in person by check, it would be $111. Each location sets its own costs, I've seen between $65 and $110.

There are a variety of other fees for being late, etc etc

I don't understand. He gave you a ticket for speeding. You just publicly admitted to speeding. You still insist to fight this in court? Maybe I am misunderstanding how the American traffic courts work : what is your defense strategy? Is there an official grace margin that you can go over the limit and not get a ticket?
Publicly is not really correct. Can you tell me what his/her real name is, where he/she is from? A police department could try and find that out, which would cost some money and time assuming they are monitoring this forum looking for the one person that went 3mph over the speed limit. Unless he is using a proxy server, then it makes it a lot more difficult for that PD to find him/her.
In the US, it is always smart to fight your ticket even if you know you are in the wrong. Usually when you get to traffic court, the prosecutor will tell you that they will knock off 5 mph off the speed. The problem is that you have to pay the court costs.

- - - Updated - - -

So he cited you for 73 mph in a 70 zone?

I remember the Governor of Hawaii's limousine got pulled over on the freeway doing 55 mph in a 50 mph zone (or 60 in a 55, one of the two).

This is what the speed signs look like in my jurisdiction. It is amazing to me how many people see the word "Maximum" but interpret it as "Minimum" :smile:

1334518355717_ORIGINAL.jpg

Most of us here have driven many miles in our lifetimes...most of us have seen many distracted / sleepy / probably impaired drivers on the road...the ones that weave in and out of their lane concern me greatly...someone drifting from side to side (but NOT out of their lane) will get my attention, but I do not automatically consider the driver to be distracted / sleepy / impaired.

Yes, I think all manufacturer's auto steer software will have to improve...but...I would think that a police officer who is competent in doing their job, will have to learn by experience how to make these judgment calls more accurately....auto steer is quite new, so most police officers might start off by pulling folks over...I think that they will eventually learn and adjust their tolerances accordingly.

I think it is quite telling that this officer gave out a speeding ticket for just a few miles over the limit...to me, he was bound and determined to issue a citation (for whatever reason).

And how are they now supposed to know who is drunk/texting and who is using some autosteer functionality? They can't, so they will pull you over, which in my opinion is completely justified. And if you get at the wrong cop who is annoyed at this don't be surprised if you get a ticked for speeding.

It's up to the manufacturers to make this software work without bouncing from lane marking to lane marking.

Was just wondering the same. Like that would just be a waste of time here to fight this.

Also here if you get a ticket they usually already account for a margin of error. So a 73mph ticket probably means you were actually driving 75mph.

How much user correction does Autosteer allow before disengaging? As beta testers, should you let the car wander at all or help with the data collection and "correct" the wandering so Tesla has those data points. If there isn't enough correction, it may take longer for them to realize where the wandering occurs, or may need additional sensors to auto-correct the wandering.

This is what the speed signs look like in my jurisdiction. It is amazing to me how many people see the word "Maximum" but interpret it as "Minimum" :smile:

While things in Canada might be different, in Germany going too slow without good reason is actually illegal. What we were told in driving school was "10 km/h under, 5 km/h over can cost you the attempt." Granted, going 85 in a 100 zone would likely not result in you being fined, but you're supposed to go near the speed limit, unless the situation prevents it.
"Good reasons" can be many things, from thick traffic to bad weather. Also note that the Autobahn, where it doesn't have speed limits, has a so called "Richtgeschwindigkeit" or "orientation for speed" of 130 km/h, and that's a different thing. Though going 60 km/h on the Autobahn will get you honked at by large trucks quite a bit. Last part confirmed personally when limping back home in an i3 with < 10% charge left.

A friend of mine is a Utah Highway Patrol trooper. He really likes Teslas. When I got the car earlier this year he met me in his patrol car while on break and I took him for a ride. I stuck to the speed limit and he joked I should go faster and he'd fix any ticket. :)

When we got back another trooper was there and they both followed me in their cruisers to the local supercharger to see how it worked. They were both really impressed with the car.

I just emailed a link to this thread to my friend to see if he'd heard about the situation. Will be interesting to hear it from "the other side of the badge".

While things in Canada might be different, in Germany going too slow without good reason is actually illegal. What we were told in driving school was "10 km/h under, 5 km/h over can cost you the attempt." Granted, going 85 in a 100 zone would likely not result in you being fined, but you're supposed to go near the speed limit, unless the situation prevents it.
"Good reasons" can be many things, from thick traffic to bad weather. Also note that the Autobahn, where it doesn't have speed limits, has a so called "Richtgeschwindigkeit" or "orientation for speed" of 130 km/h, and that's a different thing. Though going 60 km/h on the Autobahn will get you honked at by large trucks quite a bit. Last part confirmed personally when limping back home in an i3 with < 10% charge left.
In Canada you could theoretically be ticketed for "obstructing traffic" but realistically it never happens. You drive 40km/hr in a 100km/hr zone and you are an extreme hazard, lots of people will be pissed off, but you won't likely get a ticket. do 111km/hr though and you'll likely get the ticket. That said, some (very few) high speed roadways do have posted minimum speeds, and in those places you'll get a ticket for going below that speed. (usually something like a limit of 100km/hr with a minimum of 60km/hr)

While driving from Alaska through Canada I forgot about the whole metric thing and ended driving 100 mph for a couple hours but boy was it fun.
Heh. If that was by chance between Fort Nelson and Fort St. John in northern BC and you were only doing 100mph, you might not have gotten pulled over, rather run over for going too slow for the Oil Patch boys heading to or from work.