Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for a new HV Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 P85 with 117k miles showed BMS_u029 error message. Tesla service diagnosed "short to HV battery which limits max SOC to 50%". Remanufactured 85 kWh battery quoted at $15k ($13.9k battery, $390 labor, $1115 taxes). New 85 kWh $20k. Both come with 4 year warranty. Pro/cons reman vs. new? Any other thoughts? Thx.

Tuff choice. I am amazed they have a new 85kWh battery, because I didn't think they had made new ones for years. I'd go with remanufactured due to the age of the car. If you plan on keeping it "forever", and it is your baby, go with new.

Start reading - there are at least 5 threads on the first page of this forum section alone describing this issue and the pros/cons of your options.

If you plan to hold on to the car for a while I’d consider the new battery - longer range, much better supercharging speeds, etc.
Yes, I've been reading, thx. What is your source that new battery packs have longer range and better supercharging speeds?

Yes, I've been reading, thx. What is your source that new battery packs have longer range and better supercharging speeds?
It seems the new "85" replacement battery packs at $18K-$22K (one lucky fella scored one for $13K due to an internal Tesla error) are more like a 90kWh pack and get close to 294 of rated range miles. The Supercharging curve mirrors the 100kWh battery packs so you'll spend about half as much time at the Supercharger as I would with a diminished 11/13 built S85 on the original battery pack. Pre-2019 software update we were getting 256 of rated range miles, post-2019 software update we're getting 233-236.

As a fun exercise I used ABRP to see how a cross-country road-trip would be in our car with a 13% degraded battery pack and slower Supercharging (practically never SuC beyond 70%) compared to a M3LR and MSLR. The latter two would require 26 SuC stops with a total charging time of 7hours...our S would require 29 SuC stops and a total charging time of 16hours! It's not a huge deal because we don't really drive to destinations more than 400 miles, but I would covet that new "85" battery pack if I ever took the car further.

Here's quoted reman HV battery part # for my 2012 P85. Is the "B" the B pack, the better of the A vs B pack? Do you think it's ok to ask to check part number when reman replacement pack arrives and then again when it's installed? Can the part number be checked after installation? I've heard the part number can be easily seen underneath the car.

Screenshot_20221022_151649.jpg

Yes, you can see the label. It's on the passenger side behind the front wheel. If you get down on the ground you should be able to see it. "B" is definitely better than "A" packs. "A" packs were limited to a 90 kWh charging rate, whereas "B" allowed up to 120 kWh in these early days. Almost all 2012 cars had the "A" pack, so you're lucky you got the "B" pack back then. Now the replacement pack is likely a different part number entirely, so the A/B isn't relevant. Each new part number starts with "A" and the letter increases with each minor revision. A major revision may get a new part number and starts with "A" again.

Reactions: GSP and NV Ray
Don't be fooled by Tesla. There NO ,"""new"" 85 battery packs. Period. Full stop. Only remanufactured packs. Pay 20k get 4 yr warranty according to their web site.
I'm working with 057 now on extended warranty or replacement. No way I would buy from Tesla. SC has been getting worse and worse by the month. Never tell the truth, change prices daily. Takes two months for appointment.

Don't be fooled by Tesla. There NO ,"""new"" 85 battery packs. Period. Full stop. Only remanufactured packs. Pay 20k get 4 yr warranty according to their web site.
I'm working with 057 now on extended warranty or replacement. No way I would buy from Tesla. SC has been getting worse and worse by the month. Never tell the truth, change prices daily. Takes two months for appointment.
What's your source for no new 85 battery packs? Thx.

What's your source for no new 85 battery packs? Thx.

This is the post I was referencing.

This is the post I was referencing.

Thx.

I have the email from SC. My tag says Remanufactured. It was free. I tried to buy 90, and 100, nope doesn't work. Giggle, pack came in, was bad, had to order another one. As I said in other post, it's a shame we can't get the truth facts in writing from TESLA tech center.

I have the email from SC. My tag says Remanufactured. It was free. I tried to buy 90, and 100, nope doesn't work. Giggle, pack came in, was bad, had to order another one. As I said in other post, it's a shame we can't get the truth facts in writing from TESLA tech center.
You had a change of heart?

That is the second time I have read that service centre installed a pack and it was faulty. Crazy to think of the waste of time and shipping costs.

You had a change of heart?

That is the second time I have read that service centre installed a pack and it was faulty. Crazy to think of the waste of time and shipping costs.

As well as the effort and materials to unseal the faulty battery pack, replace and refurbish the suspected components, repack and reseal...only to have the battery pack crap out again a few months later. Maybe we expect too much, but I was hoping that battery health evaluation and projected longevity would be more advanced that it currently is. Granted not everyone is suddenly experienced battery packs on the fritz, but even the numbers of people reporting problems is a lot more than I'm comfortable with.

As well as the effort and materials to unseal the faulty battery pack, replace and refurbish the suspected components, repack and reseal...only to have the battery pack crap out again a few months later. Maybe we expect too much, but I was hoping that battery health evaluation and projected longevity would be more advanced that it currently is. Granted not everyone is suddenly experienced battery packs on the fritz, but even the numbers of people reporting problems is a lot more than I'm comfortable with.
I would like to think they're doing that but my cynicism gets the better of me. It wouldn't surprise me if the refurbishment process is very minimal or non-existent and Tesla is desperately buying (hoarding) as many packs as they can get their hands on to support cars these earlier cars that are still under warranty and susceptible to these early failures.

Once all these vehicles that use this type of battery pack are out of warranty, they'll basically tell everyone they're SOL and it'll be solely up to 3rd parties to provide us any repair/replacement options. If Tesla is really nice, they'll offer a a trade in bonus/discount towards a new vehicle once they start seeing reduced demand.

I would like to think they're doing that but my cynicism gets the better of me. It wouldn't surprise me if the refurbishment process is very minimal or non-existent and Tesla is desperately buying (hoarding) as many packs as they can get their hands on to support cars these earlier cars that are still under warranty and susceptible to these early failures.

Once all these vehicles that use this type of battery pack are out of warranty, they'll basically tell everyone they're SOL and it'll be solely up to 3rd parties to provide us any repair/replacement options. If Tesla is really nice, they'll offer a a trade in bonus/discount towards a new vehicle once they start seeing reduced demand.

I think it's a full refurbishment and validation process that they have. I would be interested to know from someone if they were able to confirm this process is being done, and the current warranty for a remanufactured pack. Is it 4 years? It's important that the service centers receive trusted pack replacements, otherwise they would probably have a lot of customers returning for the same issue (increasing costs).

Also I think they will support the early cars for a long time, at least another 10 years. Those vehicles and the people who purchased them were the people who helped get Tesla to where they are today. Third party options are definitely less expensive though currently, close to the $5k range for battery pack refurbishment / repair.