Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from delivery scheduling to VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There really doesn't seem to be a pattern. Here's my timeline:

8/25 on website trade turned yellow and asked for pics/info
8/29 first email from IDA giving possible delivery date range and asking me to make sure info is complete
8/30 another email to set up time for a phone call
9/4 phone call from IDA, set up delivery date (9/24) and told me I had a VIN
9/4 emailed me the VIN
Numerous other emails back and forth to answer my questions.
On the website, the MVPA showed up a few days ago and the VIN is in that. In overview, VIN is not checked yet.

Reading all of this, I think I have been very lucky. My IDA has been a great help, and has answered all of my emails within a day or two. I'm taking delivery at Mt. Kisco. Hopefully, that will go smoothly.

I have a delivery scheduled on the 28th, but my account page hasn't updated with a delivery date or VIN, and my ISA has been unreachable for 10 days. Bad sign? :-(
This has been a pattern for busy SCs. Hope my Richmond VA center is not one of them... the DA has replied in a day so far (though the answer has been always another date for questions like total amount of VIN).

8/5 my first loan approval expires after 30d. I had applied on 7/5 because a 1-800 agent said, "you should be getting your car pretty soon!"

8/31 first call from IDA (friday) - was driving, had to hang up.
9/3 (mon) call back the IDA, left message
9/4 (tue) call back the IDA, left message; starting to wonder if I had been dreaming!
9/5 (wed) got email from IDA, responded 'asap', got 2nd email and 9/12 delivery appointment
9/6 (thu) got no VIN from IDA
9/7 (fri) got a VIN at 1:49pm from the IDA (thu), visited credit union to renegotiate my loan
9/10 (mon) loan officer asks for new documentation (ssi card xerox), cannot complete my loan in time!
9/11 tue
9/12 (wed) at noon, took delivery of the car, paid cash.

So the VIN is now coming very close to delivery, less than 5d! Also, our VIN came first through email, it didn't show up on the website until a couple of hours later.

• Helpful
Reactions: SoCalGuy
Called local delivery center and he said not having a VIN yet is “the new process” and that if I haven’t heard anything about rescheduling, I should be good to go and I’ll hear about my VIN as close as 48 hours before taking delivery. I’m paying cash, so it’s not a big deal, but still. Nerves.

• Informative
Reactions: Sunpwrd
I have a delivery scheduled on the 28th, but my account page hasn't updated with a delivery date or VIN, and my ISA has been unreachable for 10 days. Bad sign? :-(
I ordered my M3P on September 9th, today is the 16th and I haven't gotten my vin yet but they have scheduled my delivery for September 28th. It will be interesting to see if they make this timeline, pretty darn fast. 19 days from order to delivery is pretty amazing.
Seems like a ton of people are scheduled for 09/28, probably for the end of quarter rush. I'm willing to bet a good portion of these will be delayed for a later date.

I have a scheduled delivery on 9/24 according to my IDA, but it’s not showing on my tesla account. I’ve known my VIN since early September. However it just got posted in my account yesterday, under my RN number.

Theory: we are now “past the point of no return” for delayed deliveries for this weekend.

In other words: to get a car from Fremont to the east coast for this weekend, they’d know by now if it’s not going to make it, and inform folks scheduled for delivery.

IN OTHER WORDS, IF YOU HAVEN’T HEARD FROM ANYONE, YOU’RE GITTIN UR CAR THIS WEEKEND

.....right???

Last edited: