Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from Standard to Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I do a range charge overnight, it finishes at around 2am @ 273 miles, and by the time I am ready to leave it is down to 260 or so.

Given the big drop, I assume this is prior to V4.0 and display Sleep Mode? It also invites the question I posted on another thread about Standard mode charge: At what point (timer? SOC?) will the Model S re-initiate charging when the car remains plugged in after completing a Range mode charge?

Given the big drop, I assume this is prior to V4.0 and display Sleep Mode? It also invites the question I posted on another thread about Standard mode charge: At what point (timer? SOC?) will the Model S re-initiate charging when the car remains plugged in after completing a Range mode charge?

I am running 4.1 and I do not use sleep mode...at least not intentionally. I have the setting set to "off", but some are saying that it activates anyway after 2 hours. But I don't think I'm seeing that.

I have the same question about re-initiating, and wonder if it happens. I remember some confusion about whether it happens or not early on, but I don't know where we left off...

I am running 4.1 and I do not use sleep mode...at least not intentionally. I have the setting set to "off", but some are saying that it activates anyway after 2 hours.

Ron,

It may be counter-intuitive, but the OFF setting turns on "Sleep" Mode. What it means is it is powering off the displays when the car is turned off. The ON setting means that the displays stay powered on.

Larry

What are folks experiencing in time, when going from a standard charge of 238 to a range charge?
It took ~90 minutes on a 14-50 (232V, 40 A) to charge from 239 (where std charge left off) to 270 (where range charge ended).

- - - Updated - - -

Would be good to know what "actual" range others are getting. I used range charge to drive from Palo Alto to Napa and back today. Started with 270 miles of rated range, drove 158 miles (79 miles each way, with a 6 hour stop), and finished with 72 miles of rated range left. So, my "actual" range was only ~80% of rated. Driving was 90% highway at 60-75 mph, and it was cold & raining both ways so lights, climate control, etc. were in full use for the comfort of my two passengers.

Ron,

It may be counter-intuitive, but the OFF setting turns on "Sleep" Mode. What it means is it is powering off the displays when the car is turned off. The ON setting means that the displays stay powered on.

Larry

Yes. I have sleep mode off, meaning the displays are powered on...which jives with the instant-on behavior I am seeing. But I am seeing instant-on even after leaving it overnight, where it seems like it's supposed to remove power to the screens after 2 hours even with the settings I have?

Yes. I have sleep mode off, meaning the displays are powered on...which jives with the instant-on behavior I am seeing. But I am seeing instant-on even after leaving it overnight, where it seems like it's supposed to remove power to the screens after 2 hours even with the settings I have?

Instant on means instant on all the time (old behavior prior to v4.0 and why it would drain 8 miles a day) so it never goes to sleep. If you allow them to turn off (keep displays powered = off) then it will be instant on for about two hours then go to sleep. This allows you to still experience instant in during the day if you drive to a store for 10 min and come back out.

In early software revs the S never re-initiated charging if you left it plugged in. By 'never' I mean that I never saw it, though to be fair, I never let it sit more than a week or so without driving. More recently, the car wakes up every 24 hours or so to top off the charge. It's not very consistent, though (I've seen anything from 22 to 24 hours) so I wonder if it's on an SOC trigger rather than a timer. But that's not likely since the timing of reinitiation hasn't changed since Sleep mode was enabled.

In early software revs the S never re-initiated charging if you left it plugged in. By 'never' I mean that I never saw it, though to be fair, I never let it sit more than a week or so without driving. More recently, the car wakes up every 24 hours or so to top off the charge. It's not very consistent, though (I've seen anything from 22 to 24 hours) so I wonder if it's on an SOC trigger rather than a timer. But that's not likely since the timing of reinitiation hasn't changed since Sleep mode was enabled.

Thanks, that is the most definitive info yet. Can you tell from your logs how many kwh it uses to top off and from that back into what the SOC was at the time it re-initiated charging?

Thanks, that is the most definitive info yet. Can you tell from your logs how many kwh it uses to top off and from that back into what the SOC was at the time it re-initiated charging?

Looks like it spent about ten minutes at 10kW during the top-off yesterday, so roughly 1.6 kWhr, or about 4 miles of rated range, taking into account the inefficiencies of charging. That's one data point, though, so I'd use it only as a rough guide.

It's been quote cold lately; the garage is probably hovering in the upper 30s. I don't know how much of that top-off charge is due to battery heating, if any.

I can now confirm that re-initiation does happen with 4.1. I don't have very granular numbers, but overnight i saw 234 rated and now in the morning it is at 239. I have not unplugged the car since Tuesday at 6pm. i will try to get some more data points, as it will remain plugged in until Sunday afternoon.

I can now confirm that re-initiation does happen with 4.1. I don't have very granular numbers, but overnight i saw 234 rated and now in the morning it is at 239. I have not unplugged the car since Tuesday at 6pm. i will try to get some more data points, as it will remain plugged in until Sunday afternoon.

In another thread (cold weather battery drain or some such), I've noted my car has been initiating charge at 230 miles rated range every night (takes about 26 hours to lose 10 miles). This is in a garage at about 55F ambient, MC at 240/40, software 4.1, and sleep mode off.

In another thread (cold weather battery drain or some such), I've noted my car has been initiating charge at 230 miles rated range every night (takes about 26 hours to lose 10 miles). This is in a garage at about 55F ambient, MC at 240/40, software 4.1, and sleep mode off.
Wow! 10 miles per day. 100 miles for 10 days! I wonder how much less with sleep mode on.

What would be really neat is to have the ability for a smart phone to "wake" the car up remotely - so as you head to your car say from a high rise, you go ahead and wake it up so theres no waiting when you get to the car. Or even have it warm or cool the compartment and battery so it's totally ready to go.

There really should be two sets of settings.... like in a laptop... one set of settings for when the car is plugged in and charging (sleep off, keep cabin at a certain temp, etc..) and another set of settings for when the car is not plugged in (sleep on, etc etc)

What would be really neat is to have the ability for a smart phone to "wake" the car up remotely - so as you head to your car say from a high rise, you go ahead and wake it up so theres no waiting when you get to the car. Or even have it warm or cool the compartment and battery so it's totally ready to go...

Cinergi, please bite your tongue and just let us know when Apple will release the App!? Heard from Tesla that it is in their hands...

I can tell with pretty good accuracy that the app will be released late next week. How do I know? Well, I'm in the middle of a 3 day excursion from SF to Tucson, which has been in planning for a year. Had assumed I'd have it for the trip. Nada. So it seems obvious it will be next week after the trip is in the books!

- - - Updated - - -

Did a "Range" charge at the Barstow Supercharger site earlier today. Had about 40 miles showing when I started it. 2 hours later it still hadn't shut itself off. Had backed off to 4 - 5 amps! Seems kind of silly sitting there with a 400 amp Supercharger, getting less than a wall plug. The first hour got it 98%...it was the last 2% that was the issue. Would think they should provide 110v/15w plugs for those who want /need a full range charge, to shift to so as to not tie up the big one.

Cinergi, please bite your tongue and just let us know when Apple will release the App!? Heard from Tesla that it is in their hands...

Usually about 6-8 days...but changes to Apps by developers were shutdown for the holidays from Dec 21st thru Dec 28th. Unclear if they were reviewing apps during the shutdown, but if they were then any App approved during the shutdown wouldn't show up on the App store until at least tomorrow. And even after Apple approves it, not all developers want it to go live right away, as they want to get their marketing efforts synced to when the app first shows up.

Did a "Range" charge at the Barstow Supercharger site earlier today. Had about 40 miles showing when I started it. 2 hours later it still hadn't shut itself off. Had backed off to 4 - 5 amps! Seems kind of silly sitting there with a 400 amp Supercharger, getting less than a wall plug. The first hour got it 98%...it was the last 2% that was the issue. Would think they should provide 110v/15w plugs for those who want /need a full range charge, to shift to so as to not tie up the big one.
At least at the Gilroy supercharger there are a pair of 32A Chargepoint chargers also so if someone wants to "top off" they could move over to those and leave the superchargers for folks needing fast charges. I fear people camping out on superchargers will become a problem.