Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to crack her open and get inside the network for AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a thing? I can’t remember getting anything but fleet-wide updates. Could this mean I’ve been «hit» too? Goddamn!

But this is confusing... Many people must be getting full-fleet only.. if not, wouldn’t all OTAs be full-fleet?
it's possible you've been hit. I think ev-fw allows you to see on the car level how many updates people get? I've been getting quite a few updates before they added the flag to me.
The other hint is - when I did get the last two OTA updates - it was almost dead last. e.g. 17.50.2 - mot people got pre-Christmas, but me? Dec 27 at 4pm or so.
Similar story with the previous one.

I got 50.2 christmas eve

trump-dancing.gif

More likely they are afraid of your credentials ;)

That's awfully kind of you but, no, I bet Tesla is way more afraid of you than me. You have the technical skills to expose their tech which is the primarily differentiating factor between Tesla and other cars (besides the drivetrain). I could be a giant PITA but nothing that actually threatens Tesla like you (and those like you).

@jimmy_d's knowledge of NNs also serves to keep Tesla's actual progress, not to mention their methods, accessible to dum-dums like myself. So I think that's a lot more threatening to Tesla because we know that their NN was broken or defective before Karpathy came into the picture and we know now that Karpathy has used his prior knowledge to implement a ConvNet that is streamlined and relatively effective. I'm sure Tesla doesn't want people to know this because when Tesla wants things known, they use their media channels to make sure anyone that cares knows. Elon's recent proclamation that the NN foundation is set is basically a confirmation of what @verygreen and @jimmy_d revealed months prior.

AP2 owners would be in the complete dark if the community's technical whiz professionals didn't contribute. @verygreen obviously took this to the next level but he got help from @DamianXVI and others like you @BigD0g.

Ironically, I'd probably have filed suit months ago if it wasn't for everyone here. I know now that Tesla isn't totally incompetent but I am still keeping my options open. I sincerely believe Tesla would lose big time in any litigation and I'm sure their attorneys are aware of that but what do I gain wasting my time (which I use to earn $) going after a company that I want to succeed? If they keep pissing on me and telling me its raining, I will definitely bring the fire and brimstone though.

Last edited:
No, you remember incorrectly.

I was relegated to the lowest tier - i.e. I was getting only full fleet updates OTA (so this Christmas 17.50.2 update and the 17.24 in August before it), anything in between and I needed to ask my SC for the update at a time of service, and they said it needed to go to Engineering to be approved (And that did not happen every time - i.e. there were times I asked for a firmware update and did not get one without any explanations).

Full OTA block typically happens for salvage cars, though. Once the system is flagged as a salvage (they have some markers even if no airbag deployments) - no new OTA updates for that one until you drive the car to the ServiceCenter and they can make sure it's all fine and manually take you off that blacklist (could non-salvage cars end up on that list? probably so, bu I do not know of any).

This is definitely going on. I've previously been told my vehicle is on a "list" an in fact normal service techs are not allowed to remotely access the car without "speaking with the CID development team" first. My local ranger had to be "read in" before he could speak to me about the car and do diagnostics.

Additionally with this last 17.50 update around the holiday, I am aware of several people with root who all got the update within an hour of each other, potentially at the exact same time (only difference being updater polling). This was days after the majority of cars received the update.

I've asked my contact at Tesla for an official comment.

This is definitely going on. I've previously been told my vehicle is on a "list" an in fact normal service techs are not allowed to remotely access the car without "speaking with the CID development team" first. My local ranger had to be "read in" before he could speak to me about the car and do diagnostics.

Additionally with this last 17.50 update around the holiday, I am aware of several people with root who all got the update within an hour of each other, potentially at the exact same time (only difference being updater polling). This was days after the majority of cars received the update.

I've asked my contact at Tesla for an official comment.

The reason why we all got 17.50 at the same time, was because they added additional security guards to the APE. Hence, they were trying to prevent more penetration into the APE. Just my thought as to why we all received it, I know for certain the APE was locked down harder with this release.

Nice! Those are some strange looking RJ-45 connectors!

Seeing the location on your profile seems to indicate that you're quite a distance from a local Tesla Service Center and have probably been left on your own for support, so what are your plans? What are you trying/hoping to accomplish?
Tesla is actually officially present in Amman, there is an SC.
Most Teslas in that country are salvages imported from the US, the SC doesn't touch them in any way.

Hi. Any progress on this topic? Does anybody have a full guide how to obtain the root on Tesla AP2?
You can always de-solder the eMMC and get in that way. Last time I checked the VAPI is not accessible anymore. There are some development only methods that you can still access like taking screenshot but not very interesting. If you really want to get root I would suggest trying this with a test bench set up instead of real car.