TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Tire Pressure Monitor Service Required" Error Message

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by JohnGarziglia, Feb 27, 2014.

1. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The cars are now 6 to 8 years old. Past due time for the batteries in the sensors to start failing, across the entire fleet. I just all four of mine replaced.

2. scotty2541

scotty2541 Member

I would agree at 8 years. Maybe one tire sensor has failed... the 2.x system will just give you a fault of everything and not any details. but if one has died, then replace all 4. 8 years on battery powered sensors is pretty good.

• Like x 1
  3. DrivingTheFuture

I am having the same issue in my Chevrolet Volt (2014) ... Perhaps its connected somehow? Is this yet another secret that's been covered up by GM?

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

While a similar issue I am not sure it is a cover up. It seems that TPMS have little batteries in the sending units. So every 5-8 years they will need replaced. Annoying but not unexpected. But I am willing to bet any tire store can replace the Volt where Tesla has not made this an option for us.

5. moezilla

moezilla Member

Here is a very amusing fix from the Lotus board: "Here's my TPMS fix. I decided not to epoxy the sensors in the wheels as suggested. I took a piece of 3" PVC pipe and drilled a hole for one of the sensors at the half way point of the tube. I then mounted that sensor in the tube with the stem sticking out and bolted the sleeve down tight (use a little silicone to ensure seal). I then used PVC glue and put end cap on one end of the tube. Then placed the other 3 sensors in the tube with a little bubble wrap (after all I'm not making a rattle). Then I removed the needle from the valve sticking out and glued on the other end cap on. When everything was dry (wait 24 hrs - don't get impatient), I replaced the needle in the valve, filled the tube to 40 psi, placed it in the trunk with velcro and sha-bang, the TPMS light when out."
    I am not sure if the sensor is the same as the Elisse / Exige - Lotus Saab TPMS 13227143

• Funny x 1
  6. moezilla

moezilla Member

7. slcasner

slcasner Member

Now I'm getting the TPMS error, too. So I guess it would have been wise to request sensor replacement when I had all four tires done not too long ago. It will be a while until I replace tires again.

8. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

I have TPMS hardwere error on my now and the car not equpt with that option