Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tire Pressure Monitor Service Required" Error Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree, the TPMS system on the 2.x is a flakey system and also agree that Tesla should have done a recall to fix the issue that's reoccurring with them. And I have the opposite view / reaction when I come into work. I usually get, you Whizzed by me today again and Wow I love your car from all my co-workers and VPs. 50k and the only issue was the APS inside the ESS which they replaced the ESS with a healthier one while there were at it.

I also passed on your disappointment to the store manager at Tesla who I work closely with. There have been times where he/I disagreed on an issue, and when that happened I escalated it up. But after the dust cleared I discovered it was an honest misunderstanding in communication which he took the blame for and whole-heatedly apologized. I even had Jerome from above email me back to personally verify that everything was ok, and this was when pushing the Model-S was the #1 priority for Tesla.

Been here before, its all about persistence and if you're not heard, keep pushing your issue higher. But also don't get emotional about it. I tend to forget that and my emotions get into the issue by my tone which then works against me.

You have valid concerns, just voice them to the right people. And always do a self check on your attitude that's being received by them, be firm and direct, but try not to be emotional. I know personally that's a tough thing to grasp at times since passion can fuel emotions, but your emotions can be misconceived from the real picture of what your passions portray.

I appreciate your advice... so I need to resist the urge to take it to the next car show with a lemon tree sitting in the front seat? :smile:

Seriously, everyone looks at it and loves it, just like the reactions you get. One guy says it reminds him of "Hunt for Red October" when Connery says "They will tremble at the sound of our silence!" But that is all based on looks. Owning one is a different experience.

But after several radios, A/C issues, ESS control module, tire monitors, and years of dashboard rattles and squeaks... It's difficult not to sound frustrated.
I found a loose metal clip myself when I replaced the radio, rattling around in the structural beam behind the steering column... I had to fish it out with a telescoping magnet. It was definitely not from the radio, and had likely been there since new. Clearly quality issues.

The service guy just seems to have the business attitude... It was replaced 18 months ago, and is warranted for 12 months, so it's not covered. I can't fault him for that, and he can't choose a higher quality part anyway. As a friend said "Maybe they should spend an extra $50 for a unit that will last!"

As for voicing concerns to the right people, I don't have any people. The sales guy is gone, the phone number just directs me back to the local service center "based on my area code". Can you steer me to someone?

-CSW #1277

As a followup to any who may search, here is how it played out...

I pulled the logs, and read them with with a tool. The logs I read said the monitor system had failed. However, the service shop told me only one of the tire sensors were bad. This was the second, the first had failed when the car was less than a year old.

It was about 18 months ago the main receiver failed, and this indication was the same as the last time. I don't know why the entire system refused to function when only one of the tires was not sensing... But that is the way they say it works.

It has been reported that the sensors are battery powered, but I cannot confirm that. They are supposed to have a life of 4-5 years.

So, based on this, I had them replace all four sensors, since three were over 4 years old, and one was slightly less than four years old.

As to the receiver, the first one lasted 3 years. And it's a solid state device. We'll see if the next one lasts longer.

Meantime, the dash is off in anticipation of having to replace the receiver unit, and I have discovered that the "HomeLink" transmitter has almost twice the range. Anyone know where the transmitter is, or the antenna (if located in a different place)?

-Scott

I too am getting the series of TPMS failures. My car just went out of warranty in the last 6 or 10 months (another 1500 miles to go to reach the warranty mileage, which of course counts for nothing).

My plan is to get any TPMS errors repaired to the extent that they roll along under warranty or recently repaired coverage, and then just let it die. I've driven for decades without a TPMS without issues - I'm ok with checking tire pressure every 1-3 months or so - that's more than I've needed to do for decades, and live without tire pressures updated every second.

My question for those with more car technical knowledge than I have - besides clearing the message each time I turn on the car or whenever it pops up, are there any non-obvious downsides you can think of to leaving the TPMS functionally disabled? In fact - if I can figure out how, I'll just have the whole thing disabled so I also don't need to deal with the error message. I believe I've had 3 TPMS repairs in about 2.5 years of ownership, with another due. I see no reason to carry on that effort out of warranty.

Thanks!

It does not sound like anyone has found a solution. Not two days of getting my Roadster back from the service center my TPMS appears to have gone out on my 1.5. I really would like another option other than getting my car 200 miles to the service center to have it fixed. Does anyone know if they are battery powered on the 1.5 and if so can I or a tire shop replace them? thank you

My question for those with more car technical knowledge than I have - besides clearing the message each time I turn on the car or whenever it pops up, are there any non-obvious downsides you can think of to leaving the TPMS functionally disabled? In fact - if I can figure out how, I'll just have the whole thing disabled so I also don't need to deal with the error message. I believe I've had 3 TPMS repairs in about 2.5 years of ownership, with another due. I see no reason to carry on that effort out of warranty.

Thanks!

The European cars have TPMS disabled. Telsa or someone who has the software can do that, select the checkbox to disable it and its a go. People with the 2.x should push Tesla do do so or have a fix so that error doesn't drain your pocket. Other than that you'd most likely have to find someway to fake it out.

Not two days of getting my Roadster back from the service center my TPMS appears to have gone out on my 1.5. I really would like another option other than getting my car 200 miles to the service center to have it fixed. Does anyone know if they are battery powered on the 1.5 and if so can I or a tire shop replace them? thank you

Was it not working when you first picked up your Roadster or just a little after? Possibly they nudge the wire/sensor connection. But you do sound like around the time due for a new one, yes they're battery powered and you can find replacements online and on ebay. I've been researching in case mine start to go out due to normal wear of the battery. You do want the "german" made ones or equivalent if you want quality.

Well after visiting 5 tire places no-one was able or willing to work on my 1.5 Roadster TPMS issue. So 200+ miles to the service center it will be.

It seems that the units in the tires are working as the temperatures and pressures are working. BUT after 2 minutes of turning the car on the VDS gives a TPMS error, and the low pressure warning turns on along with the fault life. The service center is working with me as they agreed to pick up the car when they drop off another in the area. As luck has it I can drive through the service center a week later and will drive the car back home.

I was told even if the a sending unit was replaced unless one has the special Tesla programming unit one can't get it to work. I will post when the real problem is corrected.

Apparently the battery on one sensor was below the low voltage threshold. At 7 years now that is not unexpected. But at about $300 per sensor for the part and installation it is not inexpensive. With the car being 7 years old I felt I need to replace all 4. I just can't bear to drive with the fault light on and other warning lights. With the need of Tesla's special synchronization tool to make a new sensor work I did not see another option.

One should be able to turn off the system. I drove without issue for 10 years without a TPMS system. It is not hard to check pressures. At $170/year ($1200/7) it would be good to opt out.

Apparently the battery on one sensor was below the low voltage threshold. At 7 years now that is not unexpected. But at about $300 per sensor for the part and installation it is not inexpensive. With the car being 7 years old I felt I need to replace all 4. I just can't bear to drive with the fault light on and other warning lights. With the need of Tesla's special synchronization tool to make a new sensor work I did not see another option.

One should be able to turn off the system. I drove without issue for 10 years without a TPMS system. It is not hard to check pressures. At $170/year ($1200/7) it would be good to opt out.

$700 each sounds high. I've had a long history of trouble with my sensors, but kept getting them worked on, as they kept going wonky on me. Free carwash every time, so it wasn't a total waste of time. But, I don't remember them being nearly that expensive. I think the whole set was about that much, including labor. Do you have a 1.5 or 2.x? Mine's a 2.0.

Then about a month ago it went off again, but with a different message to look at the left rear. Low pressure, it said. It looked ok (still round!), but I checked into it. Turns out there was a nail in the tire! I've lived for years without a TPMS in one car, with another that has only given me false readings from time to time, and this car, that's been incredibly flakey, so I understand the reluctance to fix them. But, every once in a while, they can redeem themselves...

Would it be possible to disable the TPMS system with OVMS? If you disconnected the TPMS receiver so that it's not transmitting angry tire pressure messages and you have OVMS transmit happy tire pressures, it would effectively turn off the system. I'm sure that's illegal to do though in the United States.

Would it be possible to disable the TPMS system with OVMS? If you disconnected the TPMS receiver so that it's not transmitting angry tire pressure messages and you have OVMS transmit happy tire pressures, it would effectively turn off the system. I'm sure that's illegal to do though in the United States.

I like the way you think ;-)

Technically possible, but would require custom code.

Not sure where you got $700 as I thought I said about $300 each for my 1.5 Roadster. About $230 for the part and $70 to install. The service center was great as usual but the parts, cost and distance are mostly out of their control.

Hmmpf. Now I'm not sure either. Must not have had my coffee yet, sorry.

Still, even $300 each isn't cheap, as you noted. The 2.x system is different, cheaper in price, and definitely in quality, to the 1.5's. Not sure which of us is the luckier one...

By the way, if you really want to 'give up' and abandon the TPMS, the simplest thing may be to just ask the service centre. Supposedly they have a way to just turn it off in the firmware (as if the option wasn't installed). Probably easier than hacking around on the CAN bus.

By the way, if you really want to 'give up' and abandon the TPMS, the simplest thing may be to just ask the service centre. Supposedly they have a way to just turn it off in the firmware (as if the option wasn't installed). Probably easier than hacking around on the CAN bus.

This is a problem for us in the US.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) passed a law (Motor Vehicle Safety Act (49 USC 30122(b))), which mandates TPMS.

It states that it “prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or motor vehicle repair businesses from knowingly making inoperative, in whole or in part, any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard.”

This includes TPMS.

This is a problem for us in the US.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) passed a law (Motor Vehicle Safety Act (49 USC 30122(b))), which mandates TPMS.

It states that it “prohibits manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or motor vehicle repair businesses from knowingly making inoperative, in whole or in part, any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard.”

This includes TPMS.

Then everyone with a 2.0 or 2.5 should file a complaint with the NHTSA and force a recall. Even if Tesla fixed it under warranty.

I asked and was told they are not able to do that. Maybe a different answer if I were to bring a big plate of brownies???

While I like TPMS I do not like it to the tune of $300 per wheel every 7 years.

Last edited: