Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To MCU2 or not to MCU2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question for people doing the MCU2 upgrade. If you have a AP 2.5 car with enhanced AP but not full self driving and do the MCU2 upgrade for $1500 are they putting in the HW3 full self driving computer or do you have to purchase full self driving to get the new computer. I get I would still have enhanced AP and not full self driving. To me the upgrade may be worth it for the new self driving computer.

A question for people doing the MCU2 upgrade. If you have a AP 2.5 car with enhanced AP but not full self driving and do the MCU2 upgrade for $1500 are they putting in the HW3 full self driving computer or do you have to purchase full self driving to get the new computer. I get I would still have enhanced AP and not full self driving. To me the upgrade may be worth it for the new self driving computer.

Someone said they are no longer bundling. Which is why they dropped the price

• Helpful
Reactions: THXULTRA
I would be surprised if the exclusion of the FSD computer is the reason for the MCU2 price drop. I went into Service a month ago for some unrelated stuff (side mirror and charge port issues), and then they added the FSD computer install to my invoice without me asking for it. FWIW, i bought my car with the FSD feature already added.

Reactions: henderrj
I would be surprised if the exclusion of the FSD computer is the reason for the MCU2 price drop. I went into Service a month ago for some unrelated stuff (side mirror and charge port issues), and then they added the FSD computer install to my invoice without me asking for it. FWIW, i bought my car with the FSD feature already added.

Thats why I say if true it could be a sticky situation. They were charging people that paid for FSD and wanted MCU2 for HW3. Trying to minimize the cost of the promise of HW3 as much as possible

Good luck with that. Here are the responses I got back from Tesla the past 2 days:

I understand your frustration. Lisa has provided you with the exact verbiage on Tesla’s stance for this cost deduction, there are no partial refunds on the infotainment upgrade purchased prior to January 21st, 2021. There are no exceptions here. We appreciate you as a legacy customer and at the site level it pains us that we cannot provide more for the customer. This is the stance of the business and we cannot override the direction given.

Tesla is constantly making strides of improvement, we will not be able to issue partial refunds for the infotainment upgrades purchased prior to the January 21, 2021. Tesla often adjusts pricing as we find more efficiencies, so that we can pass along the savings to our customers. This is in the spirit of continuous innovation and improvements. We would like to thank you for your continued advocacy.​

... in response to my email:

We paid $2,500 for the Infotainment Upgrade on December 7th after suffering with MCU1 issues for well over a year (see attached). A few weeks later the Infotainment Upgrade price dropped $1,000 to $1,500. OUCH

This is VERY disappointing since I've been a Tesla customer since 2015 and referred LOTS of new customers to Tesla including SEVERAL who bought Teslas.

We also bought the most expensive Tesla in 2015 ($130,000+ P85D with EVERY option except rear facing seats) and subsequently your:

• 4-year Prepaid Service (later discontinued)
• 4-year Extended Service Plan $2,750
• Ludicrous Upgrade $5,000
• Arachnid Wheels & Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires $2,800
• Infotainment Upgrade $2,500

Because we've been Tesla "early adopters" and EVANGELISTS, we feel Tesla should REFUND $1,000 of our Infotainment upgrade... or give us $1,000 in service / parts credits. (Our P85D needs new 21" tires)

Please discuss this with someone in Senior Management... Let us know if Tesla is going to do "the right thing" for inadvertently "overcharging" us $2,500 instead of $1,500 for our Infotainment Upgrade.

Thanks!​
Who did you email this too? I want to send a similar email to someone in management! Maybe if enough of us do it, something will happen. Anyone have any suggestions here?

So, when I got in my car today it was a clean slate. Everything wiped. Driver profiles, vehicle name and settings, everything. Now...they did tell me in the afternoon it wasn’t going to be done until tomorrow, to which I reminded them tomorrow I’ve leaving town for 5 days on a road trip (in my car or their loaner). They said they’d have it done by 6:00, and that’s exactly when I got there. Maybe there was a restore step they’d have done if it had more time.

Everything is faster and better, but the camera is noticeably darker (as expected). Being able to use the browser is kind of nice, but it’s still fairly slow on most websites. Caraoke is fun.

Owner of p90d with HW1. Completed upgrade today. Was swayed by the price drop and mostly positive YT vids also there is no way the MCU3 will be retro fitted. I can't say I'm impressed with the upgrade, took about 30 hours to do. Profiles all still saved, audio quality seems fine / same (premium audio). Browser is usable, games are fun but apart from that, I think I should have done the recall eMMC and spent the money on a tablet, this would offer much more usability than locked Tesla eco system. Without losing radio or camera that works at night... Fingers crossed the future upgrades change my mind. At least the free connectivity has some value now.

Owner of p90d with HW1. Completed upgrade today. Was swayed by the price drop and mostly positive YT vids also there is no way the MCU3 will be retro fitted. I can't say I'm impressed with the upgrade, took about 30 hours to do. Profiles all still saved, audio quality seems fine / same (premium audio). Browser is usable, games are fun but apart from that, I think I should have done the recall eMMC and spent the money on a tablet, this would offer much more usability than locked Tesla eco system. Without losing radio or camera that works at night... Fingers crossed the future upgrades change my mind. At least the free connectivity has some value now.

When I had HW2 and MCU1, I was totally fine. Its when I went to HW3 (with the FSD upgrade) that the combo of HW3 and MCU1 did not interact well at ALL, for me. (frozen screens, reboots, loading errors with streaming services, laggy navigation, voice commands were almost useless, etc. ) As soon as I went to MCU2, like a new car.

Thanks for this feedback.

With my AP1 car, I'm tempted, but then when I ready your feeling on the browser, not so much. It is basically the only app not working that I miss (TeslaWaze, opening web pages from the Navigation's POI)

Essentially, my MCU1/AP1 works quite ok. Slow but it works: Spotify, TuneIn works flawless, as well as the other apps (Nav, Voice...).
I might indeed keep the money and buy a new tablet.

I’m getting mcu2 + radio today in my March 2017 S100D.

Don’t want to risk more black screens and have lots of road trips in the near future. Otherwise I’d probably wait and see.

it does look to me like they are optimizing software. The web browser again comes up in my mcu1. I bet they double down on software fixes along with the eMMC replacement to get this behind them.

it does look to me like they are optimizing software. The web browser again comes up in my mcu1. I bet they double down on software fixes along with the eMMC replacement to get this behind them.

hey you’re right! Just tried the browser for the first time in about 6 months, and it works! For sure it didn’t work this well immediately after the new 64 bit eMMC.

hey you’re right! Just tried the browser for the first time in about 6 months, and it works! For sure it didn’t work this well immediately after the new 64 bit eMMC.

I can confirm nothing is fixed. Im on the latest update. I went out to the car and the browser worked, color me shocked, so i went to a few different sites. Then it crashed and white screened.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus