Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing option for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has been on a Twitter rampage answering all kinds of questions about Model 3.

Today we heard it will have a towing hitch option.

Just now he said the AWD option will cost less than the $5K cost of it for Model S.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Seems to be an indication that Tesla wants to keep Model 3 options costs in check and keep them reasonable in order to increase the take rate. I think it's a good plan. I'll add more links as he responds.

This is amazing news for me. Since I only have 1 car and do lots of yard work, I need to haul big loads (firewood, dirt, mulch, building supplies) every couple of months it seems. I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't wait for Model Y with a towing option so I could buy a dump trailer to keep around for these instances. Now I can do it with a Model 3. All I need is 1000 lbs towing any my life will be so much easier. This is a dream come true. For example, I can use supercharging to support travel 180 miles away to get free seasoned apple wood to burn. What bliss.

Funny...Torklift borrowed our Model S for a few days to design the Ecohitch. I think they did a great job. Though we only use it if we're taking my bike somewhere; she pretty much always throws hers in the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ibdb
I have a Tacoma Truck and I need it quite often. I pre - ordered the Model 3 and would like to sell my Truck and buy a small light trailer to use it with the Model 3. I am wondering of the Model 3 will have the option of a Trailer and how much it could pull.

Reactions: Luke42
Does anyone have experience on whether Supercharger cables are long enough to reach the charge port of a Model S or X with a rear-mounted bike rack on them? I have seen pictures of some Superchargers on the side of the parking spot, but the majority I have seen are off the rear and the cable is just long enough to reach a fairly closely parked vehicle.

Elon has been on a Twitter rampage answering all kinds of questions about Model 3.

Today we heard it will have a towing hitch option.

Just now he said the AWD option will cost less than the $5K cost of it for Model S.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Seems to be an indication that Tesla wants to keep Model 3 options costs in check and keep them reasonable in order to increase the take rate. I think it's a good plan. I'll add more links as he responds.

Not to steel the thunder from the trailer hitch excitement but the news about AWD being less than the 5K for the Model S is huge for me.

Dan

There's some talk that Model 3 will include a towing option. On the Model X this is a $750 for reinforcing for the hitch and $2,500 for the required air suspension system.

Model X has 5,000 lb towing and that is the break point for most families for boats, campers, trailers. If you can tow 5K# you can capture most of the market. I think we know the AWD and traction of the EV can handle it better than most cars.

The 5K# towing would really make the T3 the family car. Otherwise families would be under pressure to have a second care for the tow vehicle.

What's the best way to lobby Tesla to include the 5K# towing option?

• Funny
Reactions: Stolz25
1) Towing capability is in no way a requirement for a "family" vehicle. In my entire childhood my family's cars never towed a single thing, even when we had tow-capable vehicles. The top-selling sedan Toyota Camry has zero official towing capacity, nor do any of the other top 5.

2) I highly doubt the Model 3 will have the power needed to competently tow 5000 pounds. We're talking about a car that's roughly the size of a Honda Civic.

3) The design deadline for the Model 3 is rapidly approaching. You're best bet? Tesla's contact page: Contact | Tesla Motors

You could also try tweeting @elonmusk

maybe in America, but in europe it is a different story with the netherlands and sweden.
Jij houdt er misschien niet van, de rest van Nederland wel
2,64 % and 2,9% of the people own a caravan.
and 42% of the people in the netherlands has a car.
That means every 1 of the 16 cars needs towing capability for a caravan!.
And there are more things you van tow than only caravans!. also bikes and other stuff like boats and airplanes!.
dsc1673.jpg

Traileren.jpg

6b709c3f97e67ac06f400a60551831a5-1436886633.jpg

I don't think they all need 5000 pounds but they will need a tow-bar for 2500 pounds.

You don't need a big car to tow a lot. Our Renault Clio (4 meters length) is capable of towing 2750 pounds.
So in europe (and for sure in the netherland and sweden). A tow bar is needed for accepting it as a family car.
The number 1 reason that electric cars are holding back is that people that can afford such cars, they mostly also have a caravan!.
now this problem is fixed with the X and the 3, a lot of people are considering buying those cars.

Last edited: