Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing option for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the Q&A page:

What does the tow hitch package include?
The tow hitch package includes: one high strength steel tow bar, one removable ball neck with a padded anti-slip carrying case, one 13 pin trailer electronics harness, one towing ECU, one adaptor debris cover and our Tow Mode software package.

So also a specific towing ECU!

I skimmed most of the posts in this thread and didn't see anyone mention there ARE trailer hitches, and wiring systems, for the Model 3. I checked into this before I bought mine.

I take my bikes with me all the time and I need the trailer hitch for that. I just got rid of a Subaru Outback and self-installed a trailer hitch on that during its first week. In 50k miles, it never towed a trailer, just held my bike rack. I will be getting the trailer hitch from eTrailer.com this month and installing it soon. Just been too busy. Car is only 2 weeks old.

They don't list one for the 2019 Model 3, but they do the 2018 and I am confident there is no change. Watching the install video, it looks much easier than the Outback one which required drilling.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com

I’m pretty excited to hear of a tow rating for the M3, but I think range is going to be the biggest problem. Put a trailer behind anything and wind resistance increases hugely, and efficiency drops through the floor. I used to tow my boat with a minivan that would normally get 28 MPG on the highway; with the boat in tow it would hardly break 14 if I kept it slow.

I have no doubt the M3 has the power to move my boat down the road without issue, and the fact that it’s about to get a tow rating means it probably wouldn’t hurt the powertrain. I doubt it would make it to the lake and back, though.