Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS CONTINUES TO FAIL... [RANT] And they are gonna send people the mars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mark Webb-Johnson is working to add this support to the OVMS3.
I know he has been really busy lately...Shawn
Is it possible that TPMS programming will be added to OVMS so that changeovers from summer to winter tires/wheels will be able to be done with the TPMS programming taking place through OVMS rather than having to go to the SC? If so, does this mean I need to ask the SC now what are the "numbers" on the TPMS sensors so I will have them when this feature becomes available? Being able to program the TPMS through OVMS would be great!

Hi Brentt,

I have studied this and was able to create a tool to program the TPMS in the Roadster ECU on serials greater than 500.

What problems are you having???
Have you visited a tire store to have your TPMS evaluated???
Their tools can evaluate the battery condition good or dead and record your addresses for good battery sensors. (and their locations)
If you have your TPMS sensors evaluated as good and record the addresses - I have a tool that can program the car
to accept these sensors.
Other than the Tesla tool and my workaround, there is no current TPMS programmer that will program your car.

Please let me know what is happening and I may be able to help...

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for reaching out.
The car is in the #600's and I purchased it from a forum member who took excellent care of it.
I went to a tire store and they couldn't detect any of the sensors, which I find highly unlikely they would all go bad at the same time.
I'm not sure they were doing it right.
The fault was originally intermittent, but now if comes on anytime the key is on.
I have an appointment with Tesla mobile service Saturday, but I'm not too confident they will have the tool.

Hi John,

Yes, you will need to know the addresses of your TPMS sensors and which tire location they came from.
I have a simple Excel spreadsheet that I keep track of mine...
The Tesla tool does two things: Reads the addresses in sequence and then transmits the data
to your car through the OBD port K-line.
Mark is working to add the K-line support to the OVMS3.

Shawn

Hi Brentt,

Your car is old enough that all of the sensors could have failed by now.
They could have failed even twice... The life of the batteries in the
sensors is about 5 years. The batteries cannot be replaced.
Another possibility is that the ECU in the car has failed or the tire
addresses in the antennas are corrupt, or the antennas have failed.
I will be interested what your mobile service technician has to say...
Please keep me posted.

Shawn

Reactions: Brentt
Hi Brentt,

Please keep me posted.

Shawn
Thank Shawn,

Do you have a good source for the correct sensors?

Hi Brentt,

I wish I did have a good source. Dill does not sell direct.
They list their main national distributors as: Discount Tire and NTB (National Tire and Battery)
The Dill hardware required is a sensor model 2112 and an install kit dill 1100K.

I do not have NTB in my area...

I do have Discount Tire - They do not have the Dill sensors and were suggesting HUF RDE048.
The HUFs are good items but you must be aware that before Roadster Serial 501 Telsa used Beru sensors.
They were 315 Mhz.
Our Roadsters serial 501 and beyond are 433 Mhz.

It was not entirely clear in my discussion with Discount Tire if the HUF sensors were already programmed
(Which would require the Tesla tool or my tool) or if they could clone your TPMS addresses.
If they can close your addresses and the tires are returned to their respective locations
a Tesla tool or my tool are not required...
I tried to ask and did not get a good answer if your TPMS sensors are dead can they clone
your sensors by typing in the addresses of your sensors into their tool...

Check out what is local to you...
You may also wish to request a quote from Tesla just to reprogram your car.
It is an amazingly quick process...

The RDE048 also seems to be readily available and not too expensive on Amazon.

Good luck ,

Shawn

Hi Brentt,

I have studied this and was able to create a tool to program the TPMS in the Roadster ECU on serials greater than 500.

What problems are you having???
Have you visited a tire store to have your TPMS evaluated???
Their tools can evaluate the battery condition good or dead and record your addresses for good battery sensors. (and their locations)
If you have your TPMS sensors evaluated as good and record the addresses - I have a tool that can program the car
to accept these sensors.
Other than the Tesla tool and my workaround, there is no current TPMS programmer that will program your car.

Please let me know what is happening and I may be able to help...

Shawn
hallo Shawn
can I get a price for your kit? inc shipping to Denmark (EU)
I have 3 roadsters here with new sensores that need to be programed into the antennas

kind regards Michael

Hi Brentt,

Please keep me posted.

Shawn

Hi Shawn,
Mobile was out about a week ago and re-set the sensors. Due to weather, I wasn't able to drive the car until yesterday, but so far, so good.
The sensors all showed good with 3 volts

Hi Brentt,

That is good news on the sensors and bad news on the weather...
The weather has really been awful for the past couple of weeks.

If you set your small display (VDS) on the Tires screen after 1 to 3 miles of driving
the values will appear for your tires.

Good luck,

Shawn

Hi Shawn,
Mobile was out about a week ago and re-set the sensors. Due to weather, I wasn't able to drive the car until yesterday, but so far, so good.
The sensors all showed good with 3 volts
Actually the best news here is that Tesla is willing to send out a mobile unit to service a Roadster. Didn't think they did that.

Hallo shawn
NOW I found the problem with my TPMS system and the guide you send me
I have uploaded a photo with infomation needed to use microchip lin analyzer tool.
I have used 4 sensores from AUTEL universal they are super.
the main problem was that front antenna can not be programed
the easy way is just program or read codes from aft and program wheel sensores

thanks for all support in this forum and I hope this new info can help a other with same problem as me

kind regards Michael

Attachments

• 20200122_101525.jpg
    20200122_101525.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 118
Computer scientists do count like first, second, third and so forth like everyone else. Indexes are a different thing and there index 0 is the beginning.
Sounds like the argument over floor numbering where I live. Here the 1st floor is the ground floor, and the 2nd floor is one floor up. Also floors 4,14,24, etc, are typically 'missing' (as an unlucky number that nobody wants to live/work on).

The question, of course, is whether B1 is the first byte, or the byte at index 0. Perhaps easier to just treat the whole CAN data as a 64 bit unsigned integer (and then argue over endian order). 😜

Sounds like the argument over floor numbering where I live. Here the 1st floor is the ground floor, and the 2nd floor is one floor up. Also floors 4,14,24, etc, are typically 'missing' (as an unlucky number that nobody wants to live/work on).

The question, of course, is whether B1 is the first byte, or the byte at index 0. Perhaps easier to just treat the whole CAN data as a 64 bit unsigned integer (and then argue over endian order). 😜
Well, if it's an array of sorts, you refer to it as indexes, as in which slot they're in. If you count something, you also start at 0 when you have nothing, but don't say it, and then count 1 at the first finger, 2 at the second and so forth. They're just different things. In a building, the literal zero height floor at ground level could be 0, ceiling / floor barrier between the next one up would start at index 1. However, you don't do "nullth", first, second, but you do first, second and third even on indexes 0, 1 and 2.