Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS retrofit for older Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not by choice. I was getting the "Pressure Monitoring System needs Service" error. Service center rep stated that the main unit needed to be replaced. Technician removed the older type Baolong brand unit and replaced with newer Continental brand, along with 4 new tire sensors. I now get to see the tire pressure of each wheel displayed on my dashboard. This is on the 2012 Model S P85...

IMG_2269.jpg

This is great to know that
A) it's possible to do, and is plug compatible
B) software recognizes the newer style monitor and UI just adjusts

How do you call up the pressure monitor 4 door view on the left side of IC?
Or is it just always showing when parked? Disappears when you put car in gear?

This is great to know that
A) it's possible to do, and is plug compatible
B) software recognizes the newer style monitor and UI just adjusts

How do you call up the pressure monitor 4 door view on the left side of IC?
Or is it just always showing when parked? Disappears when you put car in gear?

To display the pressure monitor, I use the spin dial on either left or right side and select "Car Status". I can see pressure reading going up as the car is moving and tires get warmer. When parked, after several minutes the pressure changes to "--". I assume while not moving, the sensors go to sleep to preserve the battery. Also, this tech upgraded my car to os v8.0.

Do all older cars have TPMS or was it an option with tech package? I don't have the tech package but have never seen anything about TPMS or tire pressure from my car. I have a 2012 mid-December build.
All cars in US manufactured after 2007 are required to have TPMS system. The early Model S had the sensors but not the digital readout on IC. The newer continental brand TPMS started in September 2014 at VIN P50900.

I had $300 of referral credit remaining and asked Tesla to perform this update to my 2013 vehicle. I was initially told that this is not an official retrofit, but that it was being done on a case-by-case basis as the sensors start failing in the older cars. After looking into it, local service ordered the various parts and I now have individual TPMS display on my 2013 car.

@Merrill If your SVC gives you a hard time, tell them to contact Scottsdale, AZ service which has done this to multiple vehicles and without any issues. The total cost was $598 including tax.

Not by choice. I was getting the "Pressure Monitoring System needs Service" error. Service center rep stated that the main unit needed to be replaced. Technician removed the older type Baolong brand unit and replaced with newer Continental brand, along with 4 new tire sensors. I now get to see the tire pressure of each wheel displayed on my dashboard. This is on the 2012 Model S P85...

View attachment 200654
OMG, I want this!

I had the same warnings, and Santa Clara SC said they had to change everything (tire sensors, TPMS CPU, Antenna), and then told me it was impossible to install the components that gave individual readouts. Plus, I'm out of warranty, so I had to pay ~$800 for that.

I really hate Santa Clara SC

@shady Tesla did not give you the correct information. I just had my 2013 Model S upgraded to individual TPMS readouts for a total of just under $600, tax included. That included all new TPMS sensors, two new receiver modules, and a new antenna, maybe some other stuff. You need to talk with a service advisor who is willing to do some research. This is NOT a retrofit item and will not show as an available retrofit. However, service can update the necessary components and enable the feature in the car's software. They just need to know how to do it.

I was told that Tesla normally only performs this update if an older vehicle is having repeated TPMS issues, but not otherwise. I asked them to look into it for me and they gave me good news.

I had mine done in Scottsdale, AZ. Maybe your service manager can call over there and find out how they did it.

Reactions: 1p852nv and P852012
@shady Tesla did not give you the correct information. I just had my 2013 Model S upgraded to individual TPMS readouts for a total of just under $600, tax included. That included all new TPMS sensors, two new receiver modules, and a new antenna, maybe some other stuff. You need to talk with a service advisor who is willing to do some research. This is NOT a retrofit item and will not show as an available retrofit. However, service can update the necessary components and enable the feature in the car's software. They just need to know how to do it.

I was told that Tesla normally only performs this update if an older vehicle is having repeated TPMS issues, but not otherwise. I asked them to look into it for me and they gave me good news.

I had mine done in Scottsdale, AZ. Maybe your service manager can call over there and find out how they did it.
I doubt they will do anything now - this was a year ago.

I had the same warnings, and Santa Clara SC said they had to change everything (tire sensors, TPMS CPU, Antenna), and then told me it was impossible to install the components that gave individual readouts. Plus, I'm out of warranty, so I had to pay ~$800 for that.

I really hate Santa Clara SC
Are you talking about Sunnyvale or Fremont? There is no Santa Clara service center (yet).

Wow, that's a great price. I paid over 200 just to have two of the sensors swapped out. They also replaced the ECU but did not mention it could be upgraded to the newer version.