Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my red P85D delivered today and drove it at home. According to my DS, mine is the first Toronto vehicle to be delivered with matching front and rear Next gen seats. Also got the heated steering wheel and 6.1 update 113 was installed.

Some more pictures at Pictures

Attachments

• T-3.JPG
    T-3.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 545
VIN P66323 entered production December 27th. Still in production more than four weeks later. Asked Tesla for an update and a reason for the delay a week ago but no reply as of now.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: My car just went from "in production" to "in transit". Hurray!

I used to think the in production and completed status were pretty reliable but recently I'm not so sure. Mine went into completed state only after I demanded to know why it wasn't completed. The original delivery date appears to be correct even though it appeared to be in production for twice as long as normal. Mine doesn't show in transit either even though it is crossing the border as we speak, though I think the intransit status has always been hit and miss. Maybe leaving the status at inProduction takes the pressure off the logistics people.

gpetty: I used to believe the same as you, that the status on My Tesla was indicative. But my DS told me my car was finished and being prepped for transport even though the status was "In production". A week later when I asked why the status was unchanged he told me the website was just slow and not to worry. After yet a week I messaged him again and found out the car never left the factory and is being held back of unknown reasons.

That's still the state of my car. 30 days in production and no info on either the why's or the when's. Frustrating to say the least.

Got my red P85D delivered today and drove it at home. According to my DS, mine is the first Toronto vehicle to be delivered with matching front and rear Next gen seats. Also got the heated steering wheel and 6.1 update 113 was installed.

Some more pictures at Pictures

So there IS a silver lining!! Congratulations! Love the color!

Did they do the registration for you? I've been told I will need to do that myself. I'm thinking with my luck it will come in the evening and I won't be able to drive until I go to the Registry to get my car registered!

Got a step further today with the final invoice prepared by my DS:)

How accurate is the estimated delivery date on these invoices normally? Mine shows the 19th of february...
Some funny codes and text in the invoice as well. For example the air-suspension is listed as "Performance plus-package":cool:

The code for cold weather-package is CW02? is that new or has it been that code for a while? Looking for clues to heated wheel or not...

Fantastic to here darthy! My DS said that he could not tell if my car has the heated steering wheel until the car is here, so I guess it's hard to find out from reading the papers too. He could tell that the car has NG seats in the front and in the back.

@mrElbe , thanks for the pictures, nice too see cars being delivered to happy owners!

So there IS a silver lining!! Congratulations! Love the color!

Did they do the registration for you? I've been told I will need to do that myself. I'm thinking with my luck it will come in the evening and I won't be able to drive until I go to the Registry to get my car registered!

Yes, they did the registration for me. I told them many moons ago that I had personal plates and they sent me a form for me to authorize them to do that. Then today I brought my plates along and they had all the paperwork done and the plate sticker ready.

I notice that you're new around here so I just wanted to clarify that production does not happen in VIN serial order. The serials get assigned in order but after that it's very common to have higher serials produced before lower ones.

That's good to know. Was kinda worried for awhile because they said they would slide me into a late February delivery slot knowing that I wouldn't have ordered it if it was a late March delivery. Got the VIN day after confirmed and then a few days later I got bumped to mid February via phone call from DS. We'll see.

Yes, they did the registration for me. I told them many moons ago that I had personal plates and they sent me a form for me to authorize them to do that. Then today I brought my plates along and they had all the paperwork done and the plate sticker ready.

The problem we have (Albertans) is that - as I just found out - it is not possible to register an Alberta car until it is actually in Alberta - thus they can't do it for you in advance. When I registered my last car I must have got someone new, or I neglected to mention where it was.
I went to try and register my car on Saturday and managed to really confuse things. They say they want to inspect the car when it arrives for some reason but this would require me bringing the car to the registry - presumably without a plate. Will have to keep my mouth shut next time.

The problem we have (Albertans) is that - as I just found out - it is not possible to register an Alberta car until it is actually in Alberta - thus they can't do it for you in advance. When I registered my last car I must have got someone new, or I neglected to mention where it was.
I went to try and register my car on Saturday and managed to really confuse things. They say they want to inspect the car when it arrives for some reason but this would require me bringing the car to the registry - presumably without a plate. Will have to keep my mouth shut next time.
Chicken and Egg... Need the registration to bring the car to the registry!

Did you get bumped up to late February (according to the spreadsheet).
My VIN is about 300 over yours, wonder how I could be getting it sooner and it looks like we both are taking delivery in So. Cal.
No, it was a late Feb. delivery when the order was first placed on 12/30 but about Jan. 14th or so it was updated to March.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic to here darthy! My DS said that he could not tell if my car has the heated steering wheel until the car is here, so I guess it's hard to find out from reading the papers too. He could tell that the car has NG seats in the front and in the back.

@mrElbe , thanks for the pictures, nice too see cars being delivered to happy owners!
Wait a minute! 3 posts in a row from 3 different guys all from Norway? Would you guys quit buying up all our cars! :biggrin:
Welcome to the forum Wabi-Sabi.

Congrats, frosken! Hope mine is not going to challenge your 31 days. I'm at 13 days now and my Tesla contact does not know what's going on. The variability between cars is quite large, which I find strange.

Being that Tesla is a very low volume customer to its parts vendors, my guess is they have random shortages of parts that cause them to halt production of cars midway until specific parts arrive. I have a P85D with a schedule delivery of March, so I'm hoping that get this sorted out ASAP.

Being that Tesla is a very low volume customer to its parts vendors, my guess is they have random shortages of parts that cause them to halt production of cars midway until specific parts arrive. I have a P85D with a schedule delivery of March, so I'm hoping that get this sorted out ASAP.

I sure hope not that would imply extremely poor logistics handling at their plant. They shouldn't be starting any vehicle that they don't have the parts to complete all the way through. Pulling cars off the line would really slow production.

I sure hope not that would imply extremely poor logistics handling at their plant. They shouldn't be starting any vehicle that they don't have the parts to complete all the way through. Pulling cars off the line would really slow production.

It's not necessarily Tesla's fault if vendor X promises 1,000 widgets on a certain date but they end up arriving 2 weeks late. Tesla is not Apple (or Ford, GM, Toyota) so they can't play hardball with vendors. They can't promise orders in the same magnitude when they are only selling 50k - 100k cars / year. I have no idea if this is the actual reason for the delays but it sounds like the most plausible.

It's not necessarily Tesla's fault if vendor X promises 1,000 widgets on a certain date but they end up arriving 2 weeks late. Tesla is not Apple (or Ford, GM, Toyota) so they can't play hardball with vendors. They can't promise orders in the same magnitude when they are only selling 50k - 100k cars / year. I have no idea if this is the actual reason for the delays but it sounds like the most plausible.

This has definitely not been the case in their normal production mode. For most of last year they were turning cars through production in about 4/5 days with great predictability until they shut the factory down for re-tooling (if that is the right word). Even after the re-tooling, things seemed pretty predictable but ever since the P85D started production we have seen some very strange situations emerge with some cars taking much longer than others and in some cases seemingly lost in a black hole. There have been various reasons - some fairly credible and others guess works - around this but the new seats were clearly a large part of the problem late last year. What is happening now is very unclear as some of it is also done to logistics which were backed up massively by the volume of cars that were eventually delivered late last year. It also appears to me that the status of cars between completed, in transit and delivered is currently not very accurate whereas in the past the completed state used to be a very reliable indicator. As I understand it, this situation is reminiscent of the original signature deliveries when Tesla was trying to get their original production up to speed.