Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in - very disappointing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used Autonation, and was satisfied with the price they offered. True I could have got maybe 3-4K more by selling privately but I did not want the hassle. I also got quotes from various dealers and they all offered me 1K less than Autonation.

I've sold two cars to CarMax and was well-treated both times.

It's been posted elsewhere, but my most recent CarMax experience was with my first Model S. They gave me $80k for a blue 85 with a pano roof, leather, air suspension, and obeche matte trim. It was in very good condition, but was 7 months old and had 9k miles on it. They paid more for it than I paid (after the tax rebate)! It was later acquired by someone in Las Vegas who paid about $800 more than I sold it to CarMax. I don't think CarMax will do it again. When I dropped it off, it was clear that they recognized that they would not be able to service it so their used car warranty would be a problem.

I also went with CarMax prior to purchasing the Tesla.

AutoNation's initial quote was well under the CarMax quote -- not enough to cover the sales tax credit that AZ has on trade-ins. AutoNation raised their quote, but it was still ~$500 below the total value of CarMax -- so I just CarMaxed my previous car about a 10 days prior to the Tesla Delivery.

FWIW, CarMax gave me pretty close to the private party value from Edmunds (about $200 less...). I had also looked at recent eBay sales for that particular car -- and CarMax gave me over $2k higher than any recent sale. I was very pleased...