Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic aware cruise control behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thing on FSD Beta taking a right or left turn tells me that the programmers/Project lead are not "good" drivers (sorry about that). I can't even get out of my home neighborhood streets without disengaging. 1) the steering wheel jerk like hell on turns. Do they know you can take a curve by slowing and speeding up with a set wheel angle? 2) my neighborhood has 4+ car width unmarked streets. The car just drive in the middle of the road. Taking right or left turn from there! It will never pass a DMV driving test!!!
  1. I've interpreted that is the FSD algorithm having too much uncertainty in deciding its path and continually readjusting. From the few reviews I've seen of 10.11 that seems to be improved. AP used to vary the speed based on the wheel angle. the problem with that approach was it was reactive, not anticipatory. Like @enemji said, the preferred technique is to slow down entering the curve and then speed up as you exit. (watch what you do with your speed next time you take a curve driving on your own.)
  2. 10.10 seems to have problems with wide open streets. Many people (myself included) have noted problems with it not staying on the correct side of the street when there aren't lane markings.

Reactions: enemji
  1. I've interpreted that is the FSD algorithm having too much uncertainty in deciding its path and continually readjusting. From the few reviews I've seen of 10.11 that seems to be improved. AP used to vary the speed based on the wheel angle. the problem with that approach was it was reactive, not anticipatory. Like @enemji said, the preferred technique is to slow down entering the curve and then speed up as you exit. (watch what you do with your speed next time you take a curve driving on your own.)
  2. 10.10 seems to have problems with wide open streets. Many people (myself included) have noted problems with it not staying on the correct side of the street when there aren't lane markings.
I always wonder how an AI system learn when there is no way of entering the correct way. Like in these cases where a slight jerk of the steering kicks you out. Where is the way of inputting the slow down and speed up on curves for the system to learn.

I was wondering if anyone was else was having these issues as well. AP is so herky jerky and unpredictable specially in traffic I don't even use it anymore. A couple of many examples are I'll see traffic starting to slow down ahead. Instead of starting to slow the speed in anticipation of the traffic, AP comes barreling in full speed only to slam on the brakes at the last possible second, cars behind me almost crashing into me. It gets better though, no matter what my following distance is, the car ignores it. In slow bumper to bumper traffic, if the car in front start slowly creeping ahead just a few yards, AP guns it, only to then immediately slam hard on the breaks. Then when traffic starts to clear, AP is suddenly a few hundred yards behind the car in front of me while it accelerates like a snail. And now if you take or eyes off the road or you hand off the wheel for more than a few seconds, the car has a panic attack, I mean what's the point, it's so bad it's comical.

I was wondering if anyone was else was having these issues as well. AP is so herky jerky and unpredictable specially in traffic I don't even use it anymore. A couple of many examples are I'll see traffic starting to slow down ahead. Instead of starting to slow the speed in anticipation of the traffic, AP comes barreling in full speed only to slam on the brakes at the last possible second, cars behind me almost crashing into me. It gets better though, no matter what my following distance is, the car ignores it. In slow bumper to bumper traffic, if the car in front start slowly creeping ahead just a few yards, AP guns it, only to then immediately slam hard on the breaks. Then when traffic starts to clear, AP is suddenly a few hundred yards behind the car in front of me while it accelerates like a snail. And now if you take or eyes off the road or you hand off the wheel for more than a few seconds, the car has a panic attack, I mean what's the point, it's so bad it's comical.
Watch your cruise speed settings and try to use the right scroll wheel to adjust to the speed of traffic. For example: when you were cruising at 50 mph and traffic slowed to 20 mph. Use the right scroll wheel to adjust the cruise speed to 30 mph. When traffic stopped, adjust cruise speed to 20 mph or so. The car will not try to shoot up to 50 mph when the car in front starts to move,

Watch your cruise speed settings and try to use the right scroll wheel to adjust to the speed of traffic. For example: when you were cruising at 50 mph and traffic slowed to 20 mph. Use the right scroll wheel to adjust the cruise speed to 30 mph. When traffic stopped, adjust cruise speed to 20 mph or so. The car will not try to shoot up to 50 mph when the car in front starts to move,
I do that as well. But in reality, having to do that is annoying, and should not be part of the experience, and back in the day it never was.

So the Model 3 is the first car that I have had with any kind of adaptive cruise control... so I tried using it a few times. Noticed some behavior that made me less confident in using it:
  1. It has adjustable following distance, but even the largest following distance (setting of 7) seemed to be closer than I like. If I am behind a slower vehicle, I prefer to leave more following space, so that when a space opens up in the next lane, I can use the following space to accelerate as I merge into the next lane to pass.
  2. When approaching a slower vehicle ahead, it keeps the set speed until it reaches the set following distance and then abruptly slows down, rather than slowing down more gradually to match the slower vehicle's speed by the time the set following distance is reached.
  3. Once, while driving in the right lane of the freeway with three lanes each direction and no traffic (or anything but empty road) nearby ahead in any lane, it abruptly slowed down for no apparent reason.
Anyone else have similar or other issues with the traffic aware cruise control? Is this type of behavior (at least #1 and #2 above) typical for adaptive cruise control in other cars?

I feel like I have got to the end of the line on the Phantom braking issue while using auto steer or cruise control. I bought my 22 m3lr 4 weeks ago and I have had issues with phantom braking every time I pass a truck on a 2 lane highway. I drove 300 to a service center to have Tesla work on the issue and after replacing a camera the problem continues. After Tesla looking into the issue they told me that this isn’t something that they will be able to rectify. Their suggestion for me was to step on the throttle when it happens and power through it. When I asked if I could just use normal cruise control they stated that this wouldn’t be possible. The suggest that if I continue to have these issues, that I should discontinue using any autopilot features or any auto steering. When I asked for them to refund me the $12k that I just paid for fsd they said there wasn’t anything that they can do for me. I understand that this software is in beta, but not being able to use cruse control is ridiculous. I have opened a case with the ntsb but I don’t know what else to do. This was my dream car and I want to still be excited about it but Tesla is starting to crush my faith in doing the right thing.

This is a thread to another group that i shared this issue with.

I feel like I have got to the end of the line on the Phantom braking issue while using auto steer or cruise control. I bought my 22 m3lr 4 weeks ago and I have had issues with phantom braking every time I pass a truck on a 2 lane highway. I drove 300 to a service center to have Tesla work on the issue and after replacing a camera the problem continues. After Tesla looking into the issue they told me that this isn’t something that they will be able to rectify. Their suggestion for me was to step on the throttle when it happens and power through it. When I asked if I could just use normal cruise control they stated that this wouldn’t be possible. The suggest that if I continue to have these issues, that I should discontinue using any autopilot features or any auto steering. When I asked for them to refund me the $12k that I just paid for fsd they said there wasn’t anything that they can do for me. I understand that this software is in beta, but not being able to use cruse control is ridiculous. I have opened a case with the ntsb but I don’t know what else to do. This was my dream car and I want to still be excited about it but Tesla is starting to crush my faith in doing the right thing.
Welp, I have been saying on this board for years that FSD/AP is a scam outside of bumper-bumper traffic and that no one should buy it unless you find $12k worth of value in how it works TODAY. Unfortunately, you have wasted the money you spent on FSD. FSD is at least 10 years away so you will probably have a new car by the time it actually works.

So if you can still enjoy the car without FSD/AP then keep doing so. But Tesla will never do the right thing as long as their order books are full. The only way Tesla will treat their customers decently is when other manufacturers have competitive products and people vote with their wallets.

Welp, I have been saying on this board for years that FSD/AP is a scam outside of bumper-bumper traffic and that no one should buy it unless you find $12k worth of value in how it works TODAY. Unfortunately, you have wasted the money you spent on FSD. FSD is at least 10 years away so you will probably have a new car by the time it actually works.

So if you can still enjoy the car without FSD/AP then keep doing so. But Tesla will never do the right thing as long as their order books are full. The only way Tesla will treat their customers decently is when other manufacturers have competitive products and people vote with their wallets.
FSD will be a success when all the vehicles on the road are electronically connected to each other, talking to each other and maintaining safe distances between each other.

The idea of a vehicle designed to follow human means and styles of communication is ignorant at best.

Disagree. I find FSD Beta, NoA and AP all have tremendous value for me and I use them 99% of the time I'm in the car.

Disagree. I find FSD Beta, NoA and AP all have tremendous value for me and I use them 99% of the time I'm in the car.
If you are happy with the way the car works today and that is worth $12k to you, then by all means purchase it. My point is that if you are paying $12k and expecting to get ACTUAL FSD any time in the next 10 years, you are wasting your money.

Just the other day, I put my car on Autopilot (not FSD) and literally got carried away that the car was able to steer between the lanes, and as I was in the rightmost lane, it even took the exit which I wanted and that turned scary because right at the end of the exit ramp is a traffic light and that which was RED. Since the car could see the red light, I thought it will stop on it own. But no. I had to stomp on the brakes.

Regarding red lights as displayed on the screen, there seem to be some where it has difficulty determining red ball versus red arrow.

I don't have FSDB, but I can imagine that if FSDB incorrectly sees a red ball instead of a red right arrow, it may make an illegal right turn on red in front of that red right arrow.

Reactions: enemji
If you are happy with the way the car works today and that is worth $12k to you, then by all means purchase it. My point is that if you are paying $12k and expecting to get ACTUAL FSD any time in the next 10 years, you are wasting your money.
After using FSD for 3 months I think we will see it sooner than 10 years. It is absolutely not ready for prime time yet but it's made significant strides.

Reactions: Yelobird
Works flawlessly for me. Lane changing, cruise control, autopilot, traffic light control. And I drive 150-200 miles a day on basically every Bay Area freeway. Probably only drive 10 miles of it manually. I must have a unicorn.
For me it does not accelerate properly to follow the car in front in slow speeds, leaving a huge gap that is annoying the hell out of me and the cars behind me.
This was perfect before, now it is unusable to me after one of the software updates.

I really hope they revert this insanely relaxed TACC acceleration, or let if be configurable, also for non-FSD customers.

For me it does not accelerate properly to follow the car in front in slow speeds, leaving a huge gap that is annoying the hell out of me and the cars behind me.
This was perfect before, now it is unusable to me after one of the software updates.

I really hope they revert this insanely relaxed TACC acceleration, or let if be configurable, also for non-FSD customers.
I've also notice that it behaves much differently between 'plain' TACC and FSD. FSD follows much closer and has 'spastic' behavior - slowing and accelerating much more abruptly than TACC does. (I can't remember exactly how AP does relative to the other two.)

All,
Does TACC have the resume feature that you find on ICE cars? Example: with my ICE cars I would engage the cruise control and tap the brake to slow down and then to increase my speed I would push the resume feature. In MY LR AWD it does not appear to have the resume feature. Therefore I have to press down on the stalk to have TACC back on. Thank you for your replies.
I really miss this too. Have it on my Mercedes.

I really miss this too. Have it on my Mercedes.
It sort of has 'resume' - In the menus you can select the TACC behavior to engage at the current speed or based on the speed limit. I have my TACC set so it will go 4 MPH over the posted limit so when I engage it it automatically selects the speed. You can also double tap the speed limit sign on the screen to do this once TACC is engaged. I rarely want to have it set to anything else so this works well for me. The few occasions where I do want to change it I just use the scroll wheel.

Nominally you shouldn't need to actually disengage TACC very often since it will slow to a complete stop and start again, but I know there are occasions where this isn't enough.