Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) should be standard free of cost - Let's vote and make Elon Hear

Should Tesla include traffic aware cruise control (TACC) as standard for free of cost ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would table any discussion about TACC/EAP/FSD until late this year.

The reason is EAP pricing is a reflection of features that are planned that haven't been rolled out.

Once those features are out (like truly automatic lane changing, smart summons, etc) then I don't think we'll see as much interest in a TACC only. Plus if EAP gets dash cam type capability then I think most people will be perfectly happy with the $5K pricing once that's included.

If features for EAP don't materialize then I expect to see a lot of people upset. We're almost at the 2 year mark with EAP, and there has barely been anything over AP1.

I'm disappointed but not surprised to see that 62% are currently voting no. I voted yes.

May I remind you all, as we spoke about at great length in the past, I had to pay an extra $14,000 to get my 3 this year. I didn't want the glass roof, or fancy interior, or big battery, I was forced into putting out $14,000 extra to get my car this year. So for that $14K, I should get something extra. TACC would be good.

Those that want free options need to walk in to a Porsche dealership and look at the myriad of options available to purchase one of their cars. Tesla is doing it right - you want a fully equipped vehicle - you pay for it, if you want a slimmed down version - you got that too... This free for nothing mentality is utter BS... if you don't like the way Tesla does its business, please go elsewhere... I'm still rattled by those who are PO'd they don't get 'track mode' because they didn't opt for the performance upgrade of 5K... It just never ends.
I have an update how Tesla continues to try to make things right for its owners... Tesla is working on an aftermarket option so P3D- can become P3D+ allowing upgradability for 'track mode'... Thanks Tesla for caring about its owners, all of us...
Tesla confirms it's working on an aftermarket Model 3 Performance Upgrade package

I have a hunch that $5k for autopilot/TACC is an important part of making the Model 3 a profitable car- whether it is being added at 35 or 55 thousand it generates a lot of profit for each purpose. It's not entirely apparent but it serves Tesla's mission: if the Model 3 isn't profitable it won't push other automakers to shift to BEVs. If it is it compels them to. If part of the equation for profitability in a lower cost BEV at this point is that you have to pay extra for some autonomous features, so be it.

You don't have to think back far to remember that in the recent past even antilock brakes were a profit generating option. That changed and so will this but now isn't the time. A little patience and understanding is needed.

I'm disappointed but not surprised to see that 62% are currently voting no. I voted yes.

May I remind you all, as we spoke about at great length in the past, I had to pay an extra $14,000 to get my 3 this year. I didn't want the glass roof, or fancy interior, or big battery, I was forced into putting out $14,000 extra to get my car this year. So for that $14K, I should get something extra. TACC would be good.

Who forced you?

62% of the population probably realizes that we don't live in the world of Oprah where *sugar* can be given for free left and right.

I am disappointed at the other 38%.. but silver lining is that it's 38% of the populace I nor the 62% don't have to compete with.

tenor.gif

Reactions: P85_DA and Eclectic
For this to make any sense you'd have to demonstrate a comparable car in the same class (luxury compact sedan) that includes the feature standard.

Let's take a look at Cadillac CTS. You can get a luxury RWD version with the 2.0T engine for about $40,000. However, this version does not offer the option of traffic aware cruise control. You have to go up to the V6 version for about $45,000 and then you can add the package that includes the TACC feature for about $2900.

Cadillac TACC is supposed to be pretty good but only works on maps that are in the cars database, does not offer any updates and the car does not have TACC on any secondary streets.... all strengths of the Tesla AP.

Additionally the Caddy does not get $7500 or more in tax incentives and, in V6 trim will get about 18-20mpg in mixed city highway driving so it will cost a lot more to fuel it than the Tesla.

About the only thing the two cars have in common is both are made in USA.

Your premise is flawed.
Don’t forget the monthly subscription fee.

My last new car was a 1992 Mazda Protege. I was broke, so it was the base model with absolutely no bells and whistles. For Christmas, my parents bought me cruise control, which at the time was almost $1000. So, no, I don't think that Tesla should give away TACC for free. Maybe someone wants to try coming up with an aftermarket version. Maybe in the future TACC will be unbundled from EAP. Who knows? I've certainly seen plenty of changes in the cost structure of the Model S from the time it was first sold, so anything is possible.
My last car, a BMW X6, had regular cruise control unless you paid several thousand more to have adaptive cruise control (same as TACC but without auto steer). The X4 didn’t have the option. So, it was $80K if you wanted adaptive cruise control. The BMW5 series its an extra $1700 and another $700 for rear parking cameras, and that’s on the $60K plug in hybrid luxury model with executive package already. No car manufacturer gives away anything...poor business model. Comparing a $30K Subaru to an electric vehicle is apples and oranges. Yes it has cruise control. No it doesn’t have a 310 mile electric range. The BMW is the same apples and oranges. What is a Leaf or Karma cost with adaptive cruise control?

So, I’ll bite. You didn’t want all these standard features and felt 25% (or so) of your purchase price was a waste. Doesn’t sound like you bought EAP. Why did you buy the car? Let’s say you paid $50K. That something was worth $50K. You state you paid extra but if those things have no value to you then what was left was still worth $50K. I am truly curious why you chose this car over probably 200 other car options in the $30-$50K bracket.

Reactions: Eclectic
TACC would be nice, but I'm not going to begrudge them their pricing model. I was not deceived as to what I was getting when I left off EAP. Perhaps when the feature becomes more common in other cars, and as EAP advances further, they might consider adding a feature or two to the standard cruise for non-EAP cars. But I'm not going to be unhappy about it if they don't.

Is there a "dumb" cruise control on the M3 without EAP?

Yes; I used it yesterday.

Interesting question but I don’t buy it. I bet most people with TACC in any car don’t use it or even know it is there if they have it. I wonder how you buy a tesla and don’t have EAP?

How you do it is, when you order, there's something that you click on to choose EAP; so you just DON'T click on that. ;)

I ordered mine without EAP. I have never had such functionality in a car so I am not really going to miss it. The standard cruise control in my Model 3 is functional enough - no worse than I've had in any other car and better than most, since I have been driving for a long time in cars from the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

The first car I had with cruise control was a 1980 Chevy Impala. CC was a single button. You had to drive REALLY steady to get it to engage when you held down the button, and your choices afterward were to push again to release, or tap the brake.

The 2014 Chevy Spark EV that we bought 9 months ago was the first car we've had that had a digital speedometer and the first that would allow CC changes in 1 MPH increments. Before that I drove a 2001 Toyota Echo for 13 years, which has no cruise control at all.

Reactions: radiocycle
@TesFanboy

Tesla burns $9000 per minute and has been deep in the red, RECORD deep in the red to bring us the Model 3.

You want them to be finished off or something?
Whatever gets @TesFanboy his Free Stuff! ;)

Reading through a few of their posts, I think this might all be a variation on "make the price so good everyone will buy it, killing off all other EV competition" nonsense. As if Tesla actually needs to do that at this point, if ever. Truth of the matter is that at this point every non-Tesla EV out there that advertises at all, in any way via directly or by creating press buzz about EVs, helps Tesla. Raising EV awareness means more people taking a real look at Tesla's to do a comparison, and they're already crushing in comparison to all other EVs head-to-head assuming the potential customer is reasonably open to owning a $35K-$140K sedan, or a $80K-$140K SUV, and won't ding Tesla a lot for that form factor (such as would really would rather have a crazy fast Porche or a SUV-ish vehicle sub $70K). At this point and frankly undoubtably for at least a few years to come.

They just don't need the mix in a TACC to the baseline features to move vehicles, especially when they already have conventional CC there.

For this to make any sense you'd have to demonstrate a comparable car in the same class (luxury compact sedan) that includes the feature standard.

Let's take a look at Cadillac CTS. You can get a luxury RWD version with the 2.0T engine for about $40,000. However, this version does not offer the option of traffic aware cruise control. You have to go up to the V6 version for about $45,000 and then you can add the package that includes the TACC feature for about $2900.

Cadillac TACC is supposed to be pretty good but only works on maps that are in the cars database, does not offer any updates and the car does not have TACC on any secondary streets.... all strengths of the Tesla AP.

Additionally the Caddy does not get $7500 or more in tax incentives and, in V6 trim will get about 18-20mpg in mixed city highway driving so it will cost a lot more to fuel it than the Tesla.

About the only thing the two cars have in common is both are made in USA.

Your premise is flawed.
I think you meant "Cadillac Super cruise", not TACC. isn't it?

They are both Traffic Aware Cruise Control.

TACC is a type of product like smartphone. Super Cruise and Autopilot are like android or iPhone.

Right in the context of Super Cruise and Autopilot.

But, in Tesla terms, TACC is just cruise, does not include steering control.

This thread main question was about TACC, not complete EAP feature mainly because many cars now-a-days are coming with TACC as standard feature(not auto pilot/supercruise).

Reactions: SoTX_WestTX
Right in the context of Super Cruise and Autopilot.

But, in Tesla terms, TACC is just cruise, does not include steering control.

This thread main question was about TACC, not complete EAP feature mainly because many cars now-a-days are coming with TACC as standard feature(not auto pilot/supercruise).

Which cars have TACC as a standard feature? I have only seen them as either a stand alone, part of a package or needing to upgrade to a higher trim level? Which cars have it available as part of the base model?

Which cars have TACC as a standard feature? I have only seen them as either a stand alone, part of a package or needing to upgrade to a higher trim level? Which cars have it available as part of the base model?

Don't forget our Model 3s are not base models either.

Anyways, It is called different names by different manufacturers, ACC, DRCC etc. For example Prius Prime even base model has Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P) which include DRCC as well as steering assist. Honda Clarity, I think even new Corolla, but check it out, I think there is long list now-a-days.

Some cars needs to add tech package, but now-a-day it is becoming quite common.

But in the context of this thread I think ask is should it be free or just $1k upgrade vs part of $5k EAP. I like EAP, but most folks feel TACC is more useful for them than EAP and not worth additional $5k.

• Informative
Reactions: SoTX_WestTX