Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) should be standard free of cost - Let's vote and make Elon Hear

Should Tesla include traffic aware cruise control (TACC) as standard for free of cost ?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting question but I don’t buy it. I bet most people with TACC in any car don’t use it or even know it is there if they have it. I wonder how you buy a tesla and don’t have EAP? Everyone asks within a minute if this is the car that drives itself - then are shocked it doesn’t have an engine (pun intended).

These are the Standard Safety Features comes with the car even with no EAP.

· Automatic Emergency Braking

Designed to detect objects that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly

· Side Collision Warning

Warns the driver of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car

· Front Collision Warning

Helps warn of impending collisions with slower moving or stationary cars

I assume , the car will slam the break to certain extent and then hit the car on the front at lower speed is my guess. Don't think the basic cruise will be of any use except for highway driving with not much traffic on the other hand the TACC shines in traffic as well as in the highways.

• Informative
Reactions: shrspeedblade
What happens if the car in front of you brakes with the "dumb" cruise control on? Is there emergency braking that is activated?

Probably, but you will also probably still hit that car, just at a reduced speed. Emergency braking is not something you want to be testing on cars in front of you. It's just as it says "Emergency Braking" which for tesla means that you need to stop quickly in an emergency and a crash is immenent.

My last new car was a 1992 Mazda Protege. I was broke, so it was the base model with absolutely no bells and whistles. For Christmas, my parents bought me cruise control, which at the time was almost $1000. So, no, I don't think that Tesla should give away TACC for free. Maybe someone wants to try coming up with an aftermarket version. Maybe in the future TACC will be unbundled from EAP. Who knows? I've certainly seen plenty of changes in the cost structure of the Model S from the time it was first sold, so anything is possible.

Interesting question but I don’t buy it. I bet most people with TACC in any car don’t use it or even know it is there if they have it. I wonder how you buy a tesla and don’t have EAP? Everyone asks within a minute if this is the car that drives itself - then are shocked it doesn’t have an engine (pun intended).
If/When Tesla offers the 35K model....my goal is to get the lowest priced Tesla ever made....additional costs for EAP nor FSD doesn't support that goal.

If/When Tesla offers the 35K model....my goal is to get the lowest priced Tesla ever made....additional costs for EAP nor FSD doesn't support that goal.

If my goal was to never have EAP or FSD on a Model 3, I would have just gotten a Model S P85 without autopilot hardware.

Thats the lowest priced Tesla with the most features if autonomy features is non factor.

If vehicle features can be turned off/on with an OTA update, Tesla should maximize revenue while it can, especially at this critical juncture. Down the road, if they need to make it standard to keep parity with competing vehicles, presuming there are competitive (in a total package sense of the word) vehicles, then it can be easily done at that time. A bird in the hand and all that...

Those that want free options need to walk in to a Porsche dealership and look at the myriad of options available to purchase one of their cars. Tesla is doing it right - you want a fully equipped vehicle - you pay for it, if you want a slimmed down version - you got that too... This free for nothing mentality is utter BS... if you don't like the way Tesla does its business, please go elsewhere... I'm still rattled by those who are PO'd they don't get 'track mode' because they didn't opt for the performance upgrade of 5K... It just never ends.

I voted no, but I believe someday it will be included. Perhaps as part of the premium upgrade package.

Most manufacturers charge extra for TACC. Or only provide it on their highest trim line.

Now is not yet the time. They would take too much grief for increasing the base price.

Those that want free options need to walk in to a Porsche dealership and look at the myriad of options available to purchase one of their cars. Tesla is doing it right - you want a fully equipped vehicle - you pay for it, if you want a slimmed down version - you got that too... This free for nothing mentality is utter BS... if you don't like the way Tesla does its business, please go elsewhere... I'm still rattled by those who are PO'd they don't get 'track mode' because they didn't opt for the performance upgrade of 5K... It just never ends.
That's different because tesla was not clear on what would come with the 11k upgrade from AWD to performance. Since it's mostly a software update it's not unreasonable to assume you would get track mode.

Reactions: Msjulie
No one who buys a $35,000 base everything car is going to pump up the cost 25% post sales by adding in EAP and FSD. If they couldn't afford it time of sale and roll it into financing at ~2.5 APR, they are not throwing $9,000 into a credit card at 16% APR.
I wouldn't agree with such a broad generalization.... this assumes they barely were able to afford the $35K car which will be true sometimes but not always. Someone's situation might change after they buy the car ... local driving changes to long distance driving and then they really want to add EAP. As long as Elon's not losing moving on the $35K config, even a small number of upgrades is good.

Tesla can look at a subscription model for EAP/FSD but its not as lucrative as upfront payment.
This is true today when Elon's is desperate for cash, but not necessarily in the long run. Adobe and Microsoft have almost entirely moved away from the one time software purchase to the on-going software subscription and its been huge for them. Tesla has a great opportunity to gain future revenues for feature "rental", supercharger plans, or entertainment packages (as long as they don't break their promises to people previously promised lifetime unlimited services.)

I'm interested to know how pricing will be affected in the future (2-3 years). Usually technological features decrease in price as time goes on. Honda Sensing will be standard in all cars 2022, which includes TACC. It's already standard on a few model trims, and I can see it being standard on most models by 2020. I know luxury car makers like to nickel and dime you on options, but I see TACC as one of those things eventually becoming standard in the near future, just like AEB.