Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (BETA) for those that have HW3 and FSD

Are you using Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (BETA)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have FSD and received my HW3 computer a few months ago. I was very excited to receive my upgrade because I was looking forward to FSD features for use in cities. So, the traffic light and stop sign control was released last month and I selected to turn on this feature. After some testing in various traffic situations I disabled this feature and will not enable it until it’s feature complete. My main reason for disabling was that it was too unpredictable for me, especially after it didn’t recognize a traffic light and would’ve went through it if I hadn’t braked in time. I posted about these in other threads. I’m curious what others’ have experienced with this feature and look forward to re-enabling it when it’s “feature complete.”

What do you mean by received hardware three upgrade? I have an FSD X but it is the 2.5software. And I don’t think I have traffic light awareness on my vehicle because my car just wants to speed right through them. Are we all getting this new hardware or do we have to buy it?

Yes, this. If we could at least get the +5 back.
I have learned that there is a way to get around this for now. If you feel like you are driving too slow and the people behind you are about to get annoyed with you, just press the gas pedal as needed to speed up. The AP will remain engaged. (I have read that this restriction will be lifted as Tesla gets more data, but for now, this works for me). Please remember that auto braking is disabled any time that you are manually pressing on the accelerator.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
What do you mean by received hardware three upgrade? I have an FSD X but it is the 2.5software. And I don’t think I have traffic light awareness on my vehicle because my car just wants to speed right through them. Are we all getting this new hardware or do we have to buy it?
If you paid for FSD then you’re eligible to get the HW3 upgrade aka full self driving computer. Check with your SC.

Traffic light recognition has been pretty good for me, but it really struggles on flashing yellows. It typically responds by treating each new occurrence of the yellow as the need to slow down, and requires either use of the accelerator peddle or the stalk to keep going. I will always disengage it when approaching a flashing yellow. I was impressed by the fact that it recognized upcoming traffic circles and actually slows down. I also agree that it is annoying it will not allow for traveling at the posted limit +5 as it used to.

I turned off this feature.

Tried it yesterday and the car wanted to blow through a roundabout at 90km/hr... yes i was paying attention and did everything safe at 2am.

Just mentioning that it clearly doesnt react to all intersections (worked at every other roundabout/ traffic light/ stop sign though).

Main reason for me turning it off is the speed limit and that the car still doesnt properly know the speed limits on many roads.

My 2020 M3 LR has never missed a light or Stop sign, and I always get the 600 ft message.

Flashing yellow lights really freak out the system, though. Like sometimes I get 3-4 warnings about it going to stop, and I have to override them all.

Like some above, I wish it did not brake so hard, late. I will modify my follow distance from 2 lengths to 4 and see how it performs.

I get that this is a new feature in Beta, but I still do not understand the whole "forcing you to the speed limit" feature. They never applied this before, as Tesla specifically has functionality to allow you to default to specified MPH over the speed limit. Also, it is not like the car can't handle stop lights on streets with 50 MPH speed limits.

Obviously, I can just not use FSD on surface streets.

It's probably just because the feature is new and they're doing a massive roll-out, that if something were to go wrong, the slower the speed that it happens the better. Especially when every accident a Tesla car is in seems to make front page news.

For the most part, and for intial BETA, it works pretty good. It definitely operates like it's in BETA though. My only gripe so far is a particular scenario after it stops at a light. While stopped, if I inch forward a bit and let go of the accelerator, sometimes it'll SLAM the brakes on me and sound an alert. It's jarring, and sent my dog under the glove box once when I didn't have her buckled in. I should've had her harness belt on, so that's on me, but it still sucked. Better than it going through the light though I suppose.

We have had an issue with the BETA, in my Model Y, that as I approach a green light, the car slows down significantly until we are nearly at the light, then proceeds through. I stopped using the feature because of this because whenever the car slows or brakes unexpectedly I feel it could cause an accident.

We have had an issue with the BETA, in my Model Y, that as I approach a green light, the car slows down significantly until we are nearly at the light, then proceeds through. I stopped using the feature because of this because whenever the car slows or brakes unexpectedly I feel it could cause an accident.

I believe this is how it is currently set up.
When you come to a green, yellow or red light or stop sign, it will start to slow down & notify you in the IC.
You can either touch the accelerator pedal, or, on at least the Model S & X, just pull the AP lever toward you with a single, quick flick.

Most people believe this will be changed as AP matures.

I've been using this feature since it was release. Found a variety off issues and released these videos about using it. Initially it was allowing me to proceed through red lights (over time it stopped doing this); it picks up crosswalks with blinking lights very late and can suddenly stop; pressing the gear stalk before coming to complete stop at a stop sign will continue without stopping; it can be a pain on roads with lots of stop signs or lights, can't wait for it to not require an acknowledgement at green lights; I was never stopping at crosswalks without a light or stop sign, but I was able to capture it stopping at one when there were people crossing.

2020.12.6 Tesla Software Update - Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta) -
Problem with Red Light Traffic Controls in Tesla's 2020.12.11.1 -
Be Careful with Crosswalk Traffic Controls under Tesla 2020.12.11.1 -
You Can Proceed Through Stop Signs & Traffic Lights Before The Tesla Stops -
Driving a Tesla with Auto Stop on a Road with a lot of Traffic Lights -
Tesla Stops for Pedestrians Crossing the Street - YouTube

Nick, how are you? I just got HW3 the other day so have all the latest and greatest. Software is 2020.24. My traffic light display can differentiate red vs green lights. I suppose Tesla didn't yet want to include this yet in traffic light control since they may not be 100% confident in it yet. A worse case scenario would be for the car to mistake red for green and cruise thru a red light .

I have FSD and received my HW3 computer a few months ago. I was very excited to receive my upgrade because I was looking forward to FSD features for use in cities. So, the traffic light and stop sign control was released last month and I selected to turn on this feature. After some testing in various traffic situations I disabled this feature and will not enable it until it’s feature complete. My main reason for disabling was that it was too unpredictable for me, especially after it didn’t recognize a traffic light and would’ve went through it if I hadn’t braked in time. I posted about these in other threads. I’m curious what others’ have experienced with this feature and look forward to re-enabling it when it’s “feature complete.”

idk it works amazingly for me; hasnt failed once. it's probably annoying if you drive above the speed limit though.

Has anyone figured out a graceful solution for this yet?

The car comes to a stop very neatly at the stop line by a stop sign. But you can't quite see around that tree or parked car to tell whether it's safe to proceed. If you were driving by yourself, you wouldn't give this a second thought, and you'd inch forward until you could see clearly whether it's safe to go. But if you do this with the automation engaged, it just plain takes it as "go" and blithely enters the intersection.

I want a way to scooch across the stop line a little at a time without having to disengage TACC.

Has anyone figured out a graceful solution for this yet?

The car comes to a stop very neatly at the stop line by a stop sign. But you can't quite see around that tree or parked car to tell whether it's safe to proceed. If you were driving by yourself, you wouldn't give this a second thought, and you'd inch forward until you could see clearly whether it's safe to go. But if you do this with the automation engaged, it just plain takes it as "go" and blithely enters the intersection.

I want a way to scooch across the stop line a little at a time without having to disengage TACC.
That’s exactly one of the reasons I don’t use it for stop signs. It stops way before the blind spot where there’s a stop sign. And as you mentioned if you proceed it’ll blindly and quickly enter the intersection. A normal driver would do exactly as you mentioned and slowly inch up until you can see that it’s all clear. I’m surprised this hasn’t been addressed yet and fixed accordingly.

Reactions: TravelFree
Have you tried pressing gently on the accelerator?
That would be a great idea; however, any activation of the accelerator (whether gentle or mashing it down) will still cause the vehicle to re-engage TACC.
Perhaps even a time based delay, when stopping at only stop signs? So, vehicle comes to a stop at a stop sign and for maybe 5-10 seconds TACC becomes automatically disengaged allowing you to “creep up” to a point where you can see past the blindsight and then TACC reengages after the time delay.

Last edited:
Reactions: cstork
Been on a couple of around town drives (not driving much, of course) and it recognized every stop sign and light. Use the stalk on my X to confirm the lights. No issues besides the speed limits. I assume they will increase them at some point.

Mine sees lights 600 feet away. Not sure how you can go through a light from there.... :)

Pretty much my experience also. Recognizes everything. In fact, too well. We have many of those "overhead warning" lights up here on long stretches of road where the speed limit is 55. As others have said, the car wants to slow down and stop even when the light is not on and not flashing. These lights generally are located about 1,000 feet before the actual stop light. It's a good way to get rear ended by someone traveling 55 mph behind me when the car tries to stop in the middle of a highway. And then it drives like my wife....... meaning keep foot on accelerator until the last second and then slam on the brakes. So for me it is worthless in the present state. Might work ok for some other folks.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew