Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to use CHILL mode but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same logic applies in reverse so should I never take it out of chill?

I might suddenly have more power than expected and that would be dangerous.

So I guess your argument is, don’t change it.

I wonder how many S/X drivers leave their car in ludicrous mode?

By the way, my car is a P3D-. If I had a RWD I would probably not keep it chill mode. Sport mode on a P is insanely powerful. It would be nice to have a few levels.

2 Levels on RWD
3 Levels on AWD
4 Levels on Performance (+/-)

The difference in chill and sport on a P is pretty extreme.

Yes, don't change it.

I don't believe the gulf between ludicrous and standard is the same as chill to regular. Chill mode is far too underpowered. Ideally it would be nice to see it designed so that if you hit the pedal hard enough you get extra power.

More levels/options is always good. And again, some sort of way to get the power quickly if you really need it (if throttle hits 100% in under 2 seconds release extra power). Even if you are used to it, it's nice to have that power if you need to perform an evasive maneuver. (not trying to sound dramatic but that does happen)

Yes, don't change it.

I don't believe the gulf between ludicrous and standard is the same as chill to regular. Chill mode is far too underpowered. Ideally it would be nice to see it designed so that if you hit the pedal hard enough you get extra power.

More levels/options is always good. And again, some sort of way to get the power quickly if you really need it (if throttle hits 100% in under 2 seconds release extra power). Even if you are used to it, it's nice to have that power if you need to perform an evasive maneuver. (not trying to sound dramatic but that does happen)

I wonder if Chill mode power curve is the same on RWD, AWD, P-AWD.

Chill mode is dramatically less on Performance but extremely drivable.

I'd like to see 0-60 on all 3 Trims in Chill and Not Chill.

Only use chill for my passengers. This way I don't have to think about it. When i'm alone in the car I feather the accelerator but still "HIT" it at times. :)
My daughter has complained of nausea and is why I will use chill if driving for a while with passengers

Reactions: ABCTG
For me personally, I only use Chill Mode when I’m trying to conserve energy. I can also see it useful for navigating through a busy shopping center or parking lot. All other times, I keep Chill Mode off and just work on better manipulating the accelerator pedal.
How much does chill increase range in city or highway? I thought it limits acceleration but not speed. On highway without traffic it would seem a minor effect?

I set up a driver profile that I call "Freeway". It uses Chill Mode and Comfort Steering. I only turn it on when I'm doing long distance interstate driving with autopilot. I find it makes the trip smoother, although I've heard that V9 firmware smoothes things out too now. I've not had a chance to do a long trip since updating. If I like V9 on the freeway, I may kill my special profile.

Reactions: ABCTG
Honestly would love a mode that was Sport mode under my control, Chill mode under autopilot. If I'm in Autopilot I probably just want to chill, listen to a podcast/tunein, and eat up some miles.

This+

...seems like a lot of comments about autopilot being too "jerky." What we really need is autopilot to have a "chill" or "mad max" mode that isn't tied to how the car behaves under manual control. This probably needs to adapt to traffic, as heavy traffic may dictate a more aggressive driving style.

It took me about a day to get used to modulating the speed with the go pedal in standard mode on my 3D. Haven’t even tried chill mode yet as I don’t experience any jerkiness in standard. It’s not like the car takes off like a rocket when you’re just feathering the accelerator.

How much does chill increase range in city or highway? I thought it limits acceleration but not speed. On highway without traffic it would seem a minor effect?

Chill doesn't change range at all.
But it might (very likely) change your driving habits that will effect your range as well as rate of tickets, rate of replacing tires, happiness of passengers.

For me personally, I only use Chill Mode when I’m trying to conserve energy. I can also see it useful for navigating through a busy shopping center or parking lot. All other times, I keep Chill Mode off and just work on better manipulating the accelerator pedal.

I stopped using it because I want to have full power if needed for safety like moving quickly in the forward direction if that’s the safest move.

I wish there was an Autopilot chill mode that only limits power in TACC or Autopilot modes. But provides full power when requested by the driver.

Reactions: Nilnoc
I stopped using it because I want to have full power if needed for safety like moving quickly in the forward direction if that’s the safest move.

I wish there was an Autopilot chill mode that only limits power in TACC or Autopilot modes. But provides full power when requested by the driver.

Yeah, I don't use the driving mode chill when driving manually but one hack that many owners have been using was to set a custom driver profile to drive as "chill" and change that during autopilot and change back to your regular profile when driving manually ;)

• Informative
Reactions: PhaseWhite