Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning AP off while maintaining TACC

WADan

Sep 28, 2020
Bellevue WA
Hi all,
I am trying to figure out the best way to keep TACC when I need to disable AP. The reason for this is when a lane opens up into two (to allow passing), AP keeps to the left lane (which I don’t want it to do since I want to allow other cars to pass). I know there are 3 ways to disable AP, but I don’t want the car to slow down abruptly (when TACC is disabled along with AP). I tried wrestle control from AP by taking over the steering which resulted in a huge sudden jerk (which scared the devil out of my wife, and probably the car behind).
i ended up with pressing the stalk up to disable AP, (but this is a pain since the stretch of highway opens passing lane very often) and reenable it.
Tomorrow I will try tapping the brake slightly to see if it would maintain TACC (we are on a long roadtrip). Thanks for any advice!

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
Hi all,
I am trying to figure out the best way to keep TACC when I need to disable AP. The reason for this is when a lane opens up into two (to allow passing), AP keeps to the left lane (which I don’t want it to do since I want to allow other cars to pass). I know there are 3 ways to disable AP, but I don’t want the car to slow down abruptly (when TACC is disabled along with AP). I tried wrestle control from AP by taking over the steering which resulted in a huge sudden jerk (which scared the devil out of my wife, and probably the car behind).
i ended up with pressing the stalk up to disable AP, (but this is a pain since the stretch of highway opens passing lane very often) and reenable it.
Tomorrow I will try tapping the brake slightly to see if it would maintain TACC (we are on a long roadtrip). Thanks for any advice!

I suggest using your lane change feature instead. You will need to allow the car to finish its merge to the left, then let it bring itself back with the use of your right signal lever. Works for me.

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
I suggest using your lane change feature instead. You will need to allow the car to finish its merge to the left, then let it bring itself back with the use of your right signal lever. Works for me.
Lane change is a FSD feature only. It’s not in the standard AP.

Reactions: srlawren

Y_tho

Mar 14, 2020
Maryland
Also, for a brief few weeks in September 2020, Enhanced Autopilot was available for purchase on Model Y. EAP included lane change, for about half the price of FSD.

I wish they'd bring this option back...

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
I have FSD and this doesn't work for me. When I signal and try to switch lanes manually, the car will complain and kick me out of AP.

I use auto lane switching all the time and won't disable it.

Right signal and merge right with the wheel, the jerk is less than if you turn the wheel without a signal.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I have FSD and this doesn't work for me. When I signal and try to switch lanes manually, the car will complain and kick me out of AP.

I use auto lane switching all the time and won't disable it.
you have to push the turn signal stalk all the way down. If you just do half way down it won’t change lanes.

WADan

Sep 28, 2020
Bellevue WA
Your approach only works when there is no one right behind as they would try to pass you from the right lane immediatel!

AlexHung

Mar 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
I’ve used the turn signal to disengage Auto Steer while keeping TACC on many times. I don’t know how it isn’t working for you. As mentioned before, you need to use the full turn signal, not the 3 flash one to disengage Auto Steer.

Sixth

Aug 12, 2020
San Gabriel, CA
Right signal and merge right with the wheel, the jerk is less than if you turn the wheel without a signal.
⬆️ This is the correct answer, when initiating your turn signal before a lane change. The steering resistance will be less and AP will be disabled while TACC still being enabled after merging to the new lane.

PV1

Aug 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
I thought Automatic lane change, where the car decides to change lanes on its own, was an FSD feature. Basic AP lane change by putting on the turn signal should be a regular Autopilot feature as it’s been present since Auto-steer was released. Or, has this changed in newer cars? Newest Tesla I‘ve driven on the highway is a 2017 S 75D with FSD.

As for OP, I usually either quickly cancel Autopilot then immediately turn cruise back on, or just hold the wheel towards the right, and the car cancels as it tries to go left. Most of the time I’m driving a Tesla though, It’s without Autopilot as it still wants to go off every off-ramp on the highway.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC