TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Turning off BT (iPhone) auto-play when the car turns on?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Ambidexter, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Member

Has anyone found a way to disable the automatic "play" command the car sends when it turns on and connects to the phone? I can confirm it's not the phone trying to be smart -- the phone clearly gets a play command from the car -- and it drives me nuts to have whatever I was listening to last (often an audiobook or podcast) start as soon as the car wakes up as I get in.

• Like x 1
  2. emchen

emchen Member

I've been having the same question. Further, if I had stopped playing the podcast when I got out of the car, the car's "play" command when I come back will default to iTunes and start playing whatever I have on there!

3. mattmass

mattmass Member

Yes, this is infuriating!

As far as I can tell, this is all on Tesla to fix.

• Funny x 1
  4. scsmx

scsmx Member

I have the same issue

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

It does need to be fixed. My current work-around is to pause BT, then switch the source to radio right before exiting, then rolling the volume wheel to zero. That seems to prevent the Bluetooth from auto playing next time I get in the car.

• Like x 1
  6. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Interestingly, there were previous request for Tesla to continue what ever audio was playing when the car was last turned off. They accommodated the request so drivers wouldn't have to "re-select" their audio source each time when restarting the vehicle.... i.e.: Radio, Streaming, USB, Bluetooth, etc. If I recall, this was an 8.0 enhancement for drivers to continue their source. The vehicle only knows you were last listening to Bluetooth audio, and continues with that prior selection. It doesn't know whether it was a pod cast or music from the paired device.

7. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Member

Thanks for that background @Aljohn. I can understand why some folks would have asked for that. It makes a lot of sense to me to resume the radio or streaming services upon car start, as clearly that's audio you listen to in the car. It also matches the behavior we're used to with previous cars. It's also understandable that they didn't quite get this right with the Bluetooth source, as the behaviors and use cases around having one device for many different contexts are much more complex.

I'm hoping to see more nuance in a future update. Either a setting that we can customize or to connect without triggering play to BT routes only. Then it's a simple single tap on the touch screen to resume your playback.

8. MX1028

MX1028 Member

I would also like to have an actual Off button for the Music app. It's annoying that the only way to not listen to anything in the car is either pausing the stream or if on radio then turn the volume to 0.

• Love x 1
  9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

+1000. The last several cars I have owned have had this "feature" of never being able to turn OFF the radio/audio source. I guess it's some sort of trend now that car companies think everyone wants a soundtrack while they drive. So I have gotten used to having an always-on radio with the Volume at 0.

10. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Yes and I am happy they fixed that, but what is bothersome is the autoplay part. For instance, when I pull into the garage, I will hit pause on the music app before I get out of the car. However, the act of opening the rear door to get my jacket out of the backseat will cause the audio to kick back in and keep playing for a few seconds until the car decides its empty again. For music, this is not so bad, but listening to podcasts or audiobooks is a pain.

• Like x 1
  11. trmmcd

trmmcd Member

I just received 2.52.22 and it now seems that audio is much better behaved. I need more evidence to confirm for sure, but the audio system remembered what was being played on my USB even after a screen reset and re-load of the USB stick. Previously, my iPhone would take over every time I got in the car.

12. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Thanks @trmmcd I have a notification for SW update. I haven't installed as of yet. Do you still have MODELXMAS? Just want to confirm it didn't get removed. Thanks.

13. trmmcd

trmmcd Member

So good news and bad news. First the good news MODELXMAS is still there. Now the bad news - the problem with the phone taking over is still there. I was sure it was fixed when it worked several times in a row including after a screen restart. I guess we have to wait for the next release.

14. outie

outie Active Member

It has always been quite random to resume the last audio source. For example I can have 5 consecutive USB music resume but then next two defaulted back to phone Bluetooth, for leaving 10 minutes (not overnight). However it has been getting better comparing to initial v8.0.

15. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

I have 2.52.22 and no matter what audio source I was using when I turned the car off, when I turn it back on it switches to BT IPhone and turns on. Very annoying. It should either be off at startup, or resume with the last selected audio source.
    @MX1028 +1000 - Absolutely need a damn off button. Never heard of an audio system with no off button - really annoying.

16. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

There seems to be something else going on. I have BT Audio (songs) on my phone, and the X does NOT turn on BT, unless I had on BT on the last trip. If I have on Radio, it returns to Radio. If Streaming, it returns to streaming. I must mention I have an Android phone, not I-Phone.