Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two days with Model 3 impressions/review- This is not a mini model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
also in the rain, and up a hill.
20180108_091616.jpg

Doing things different for the sake of doing things different.

I'm not sure this is fair. With the caveat that I don't yet own a 3 and may be totally off-base about the level of PITA involved in the doors, I think it's likely that the exterior portion was made this way for defensible reasons. Namely, Tesla needed the aerodynamic benefit of flat door panels to meet their efficiency goals, and they didn't want motorized handles like the S has. Likely for multiple reasons--reliability (don't want to be replacing these on a cheaper vehicle) and keeping the 'coolness' separation b/t the 3 and S.

The interior manual pull being where many folks would expect the 'normal' opener to be, I got nothin' on that one.

250-260kwh...in the rain...at what avg speed range, and were you on roughly level roadways? (aeros, or 19s?) This efficiency data point is great news.
19s. I would say 95% was freeway driving. According to Teslafi average speed was 43MPH, elevation change was +18.4ft, average outside temperature 50.9F, max speed 76MPH. This was my destination stats with 94 miles driven.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
I'm not sure this is fair. With the caveat that I don't yet own a 3 and may be totally off-base about the level of PITA involved in the doors, I think it's likely that the exterior portion was made this way for defensible reasons.
I was concerned about the exterior door handles because of arthritis in my hands. I had the opportunity to play with @dturkes beautiful car last Saturday. The exterior door handles are absolutely no problem for me to operate. They really make a lot of sense and operate smoothly - push on the rear of the handle with thumb and the door pops open and pull on the exposed handle to open it completely. Interior button works equally well. The button is located right where you would grab the assist pull and the door pops open. The emergency release is almost invisible and I doubt people will become confused.

This design is a departure from the norm, so you may need to explain the procedure to some people, ONCE. Then it's cool and feels like a spaceship!

I had one person sit in my car yesterday to show and he pulled the emergency release. So I'm certain the person taking his Model 3 cross country and into Canada now has had it opened countless times.
Yes, he has - frequently. Apparently, it became enough of a problem that he put duct tape over the emergency release to prevent people from using it. Some have still tried. When You You stopped in St. Louis on Sunday night, he had the entire crowd pledge in unison that they would only open the door using the button.

Someone help me out here.... So what if someone uses the emergency release? If the car knows that it was used, instead of barking at you on the screen, why not just lower the window as if you had pushed the proper release?? It is in a common place and people will use it, so drop the window either way???

It's entirely mechanical.
That's OK. If the car knows that the entirely mechanical opener was used, it can still drop the window a tad. My experience with other frameless doors is the issue of dropping the window a tad and raising are compatible with mechanical door releases (think anyone but Tesla)....
  1. You open the door (mechanically)
  2. Car senses that the door was opened
  3. Car slightly lowers window
  4. You close door
  5. Car raises window

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
That's OK. If the car knows that the entirely mechanical opener was used, it can still drop the window a tad. My experience with other frameless doors is the issue of dropping the window a tad and raising are compatible with mechanical door releases (think anyone but Tesla)....
  1. You open the door (mechanically)
  2. Car senses that the door was opened
  3. Car slightly lowers window
  4. You close door
  5. Car raises window

If that's all there is to it, no reason that can't be done in a firmware update.