Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two month impression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The XC90 is much more comfortable and it not really comparable to a S60.

One is a sedan and the other is a 7 seater SUV and has more room and a better sitting position. The XC90 costs more than 50% more here. The top trim seats are also some of the best in the business at this price point. It is a very comfortable vehicle.

The Model Y is known for a harsh ride. There is no way a Model Y is more comfortable for a road trip than an XC90. My brother has a new XC90 and not one person has ever complained about ride quality. Can't say the same for my Tesla, especially in the back seats. My wife's Q7 is also more comfortable and it is worse than the XC90.

So you turn auto-wipers off, which turns off AP, how is that great for road tripping?
More comfortable but not MUCH more comfortable. I didn't use XC90 for road trips, but was driving new XC60 for a few days while my S60 was in service. And new XC60 is just a little bit smaller than XC90 and have about the same comfort level. So the XC60 didn't impress me with something that I would say "yesss... this car is more comfortable, I feel the difference".

Model Y suspension is more stiff than Volvo, no argue with that, BUT when you roadtripping you ride on the smooth highway isn't it? It's not like city driving with bumps and pot holes where you feel that "harshness". So that's why I am saying that for the road trip Model Y is better option for me than Volvo.

For auto-wipers off you are right, they automatically engaged to Auto when switch on auto-pilot. When I was road tripping and used auto pilot I didn't have a rainy weather and I didn't experience activation of the wipers out of a sudden at all. Never. But in general, when it rains, I don't like how speed of wipers automatically regulated so I always use a manual mode selecting the wipers speed, that's why I say that by default I have them OFF.

Reactions: WyoDude
More comfortable but not MUCH more comfortable. I didn't use XC90 for road trips, but was driving new XC60 for a few days while my S60 was in service. And new XC60 is just a little bit smaller than XC90 and have about the same comfort level. So the XC60 didn't impress me with something that I would say "yesss... this car is more comfortable, I feel the difference".

Model Y suspension is more stiff than Volvo, no argue with that, BUT when you roadtripping you ride on the smooth highway isn't it? It's not like city driving with bumps and pot holes where you feel that "harshness". So that's why I am saying that for the road trip Model Y is better option for me than Volvo.

For auto-wipers off you are right, they automatically engaged to Auto when switch on auto-pilot. When I was road tripping and used auto pilot I didn't have a rainy weather and I didn't experience activation of the wipers out of a sudden at all. Never. But in general, when it rains, I don't like how speed of wipers automatically regulated so I always use a manual mode selecting the wipers speed, that's why I say that by default I have them OFF.

Depends on your roads then I guess. Highways here are mostly good, but enough bad spots that the Model Y is not comfortable to be in, especially in the back. The more off the beaten path you go and the roads are even worst (I like to backcountry camp). Regarding vs the S60, again it might be personal preference but I always find a more upright seated position to be far more comfortable than sitting lower in a sedan for extended periods. I drive a G80 and I find the seats better than the Q7, but I still would rather be in the Q7 for a road trip just because of the position. This is even more apparent if you are in the back seat

Weird on the wipers. I find if there are any bugs near the camera it's chaos. It sucks because when it is working it is a great place to be, smooth roads permitting

The fact that there is countless threads on the Model Y harshness, people dropping air pressure in their tires, etc. I believe there are a fair amount of MY owners that feel the same way.

It is close to a perfect vehicle outside those main two gripes I have with it. I really wish they had an upgrade for adaptive suspension

Reactions: Art84
I personally don’t think the 2023 Y ride is that much different than a newer SPA Volvo SUV’s from my experience.
Also AP has been a good bit better than PilotAssist in my experience. The range of conditions, situations and variance that AP can handle seems much larger than PilotAssist.
Man, if Volvo could build an EV with Tesla level tech 🤌

• Love
Reactions: Art84 and nate704
I personally don’t think the 2023 Y ride is that much different than a newer SPA Volvo SUV’s from my experience.
Also AP has been a good bit better than PilotAssist in my experience. The range of conditions, situations and variance that AP can handle seems much larger than PilotAssist.
Man, if Volvo could build an EV with Tesla level tech 🤌
Yes, at the same price point:) The coming Volvo EX90 "is nicely equipped at a little over 80K".

USS has to have an active signal source because its design depends on it. Tesla Vision does not need its own light source because it uses existing light sources. Tesla Vision could be further enhanced with supplemental lighting, possibly taking advantage of matrix lights. In other words, Tesla Vision's limitation is the same as those of human eyes - which seems to be able to drive both day and night just fine so long as the lighting conditions are adequate. However, under no circumstance is USS or Radar capable of helping someone drive down the road blindfolded. Tesla Vision is a generalized solution that should be able to do everything that human drivers can do. USS is a tool that was good at one particular thing but is rather limited.

Humans drive with vision only. The entire system of roads and streets is built and designed for this with street markings, signs, and signals. Our roads are not made to be driven with ultrasound or radar. However attractive these tools may be by being better in the interim for solving some specific problems, they are an incomplete solution and are not needed. It is a perfectly rational engineering decision to pursue vision-only driving capabilities.
I agree with you, but cameras only tech is prone to problems just like humans. For example, bright sun blinds us and darkness makes it difficult to see at night. I think original idea of relying on three different frequency tech (USS, radar and cameras) would have been much more reliable and useful as opposed to cameras only. But Tesla engineers weren't able to integrate the three to work in unison.

I agree with you, but cameras only tech is prone to problems just like humans. For example, bright sun blinds us and darkness makes it difficult to see at night. I think original idea of relying on three different frequency tech (USS, radar and cameras) would have been much more reliable and useful as opposed to cameras only. But Tesla engineers weren't able to integrate the three to work in unison.
I don't understand the claim that they weren't able to integrate the three technologies. Clearly they were, which is why people are complaining about the removal of two of the three technologies.

The issues you mentioned with vision are not deal breakers. If people can drive just fine with these issues, it is merely an engineering challenge to implement the same resiliency in Tesla Vision.

What year was your S60? I am surprised at your impression of MY having a better ride than the Volvo. The SPA-based SUVs are certainly better ride than the MY, including Pilot Assist (Volvo's version of the Tesla's basic autopilot). For example, PA does not disengage when changing lanes. Volvo is certainly quieter too. Never rode Volvo sedans, may be they are vastly inferior to their SUVs? And I think S60 is made in the USA, that could play a role too? Not sure what the answer is. And when I say the road trip I don't mean an hour drive. I mean 500-1000 mile trip.

Tesla is our first EV and the impression is that it is a little half-assed (autopilot disengages when changing lanes, no working park assist, no blind spot monitor, noise level, wipers, phantom braking). In words of Ron: "Never Half-Ass Two Things, Whole-Ass One Thing".
If you have Enhanced Autopilot, when you turn on your signal then it will change lanes on it's own.

Reactions: Destiny1701