Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre pressure stability (air, nitrogen, temperature etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an observation, but we took our brand new M3P to Portugal for a month in August. Left the UK at around 43PSI and got low pressure warnings with 36psi in the tyres within 2 weeks of driving in 30c+ heat. Refilled and back in the UK now and pressures remain at 42psi.

While I am not sure it would make much difference I always wondered if it was worth topping up tyres when the weather is dry to minimise moisture ingress? I also wondered if would make more sense just to fill from a compressor with a dryer than to use pure nitrogen?
I expected to need to top up my tyres often due to the high pressures Tesla recommend but I have been pleasantly surprised so far and only had to do it once since I bought the car 11 months ago!
For anyone who forgot or maybe never knew, early large aircraft wheels were mostly magnesium, with large Auden high temperatures on landing the wheels would burn. Not good! thus nitrogen, because it is inert. I still use nitrogen in my cars, probably out of habit since I used to fill my cars from the aircraft supply. Nonetheless I do always use nitrogen.

If the temperature drops significantly, the pressure in your tyres will go down whatever gas they are filled with (Charles’ law). It’s good practice to check them every week under such conditions.

As the volume is fixed by the physical dimensions of the wheel and tyre, it's another of the Gas Laws that applies, Gay-Lussac's law.

Charles' Law covers the case where the volume changes with temperature, whereas Gay-Lussac's law covers the case where the volume is fixed and the pressure changes with temperature.

For those of you interested in digging into this subject further, here's a white paper and a letter on the subject of effusion and permeation as it relates to O2 vs N2 in tires. The short answer is that if the two are completely dry, there's no appreciable difference between O2 and N2 in volume change due to temperature at the pressure and temperatures seen in automobile tire usage. The difference comes from moisture that is typically present when tires are filled with ambient air and the fact that O2 is 3-4 times more likely to pass through tire compounds than N2 is. These moisture/permeability issues do make a difference.

Attachments

• graham.pdf
    76.1 KB · Views: 45
  • APTechLetter111804.pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 46
The main advantage of nitrogen is it's generally a more consistent and pure gas, and yes while all gasses to expand and contract with temperature, the other components like water in standard air from a regular garage compressor can result in the tyre warming to a higher temp than if it was running nitrogen meaning that the pressure increases. This is more noticeable in racing than daily driving, but for general daily driving it won't make much difference, just keep your pressures accurate in winter and summer.

The main advantage of nitrogen is it's generally a more consistent and pure gas, and yes while all gasses to expand and contract with temperature, the other components like water in standard air from a regular garage compressor can result in the tyre warming to a higher temp than if it was running nitrogen meaning that the pressure increases. This is more noticeable in racing than daily driving, but for general daily driving it won't make much difference, just keep your pressures accurate in winter and summer.
There's part of this that's incorrect. If the air has some moisture in it, it will increase the pressure quicker and so the tire will actually run cooler. Race car drivers use nitrogen because it's perfectly dry so they can tune the suspension to get that last 1/100th of a second reduction in lap time. However, in normal highway use, the tires have to flex more with nitrogen to get to the equilibrium pressure (where the heat buildup from flexing is equal to the cooling from the air passing over the tire) so they will run hotter than a tire with air and a bit of moisture. Nitrogen inflation for on-road and above ground applications is generally non-optimal.

But air with a high moisture content is less dense than dry air...

I've lost count of the number of times people have argued with me when I've mentioned that parachutes descend faster through cloud than they do in dry air. For some reason, despite the fact that it's pretty damned obvious that clouds are lighter than air, so less dense, some people seem to assume that water vapour has to be denser than air.

I've lost count of the number of times people have argued with me when I've mentioned that parachutes descend faster through cloud than they do in dry air. For some reason, despite the fact that it's pretty damned obvious that clouds are lighter than air, so less dense, some people seem to assume that water vapour has to be denser than air.

Sorry about thread drift but... I don’t think that is right. Clouds are visible because they contain liquid water or ice which is much heavier than air. If they were less dense than the air around them they would be rising - which they sometimes do. - just watch a growing CuNim! I believe there is a story about someone who bailed out in a CuNim and took over an hour to reach the ground. Of course, in thermals below cumulus clouds the moist air is not saturated and, being less dense, does rise - as glider pilots know.

Sorry about thread drift but... I don’t think that is right. Clouds are visible because they contain liquid water or ice which is much heavier than air. If they were less dense than the air around them they would be rising - which they sometimes do. - just watch a growing CuNim! I believe there is a story about someone who bailed out in a CuNim and took over an hour to reach the ground. Of course, in thermals below cumulus clouds the moist air is not saturated and, being less dense, does rise - as glider pilots know.

I worked on parachute development trials back in the early 1980s (weapon retardation parachutes) and the terminal velocity definitely varies with humidity. Back then (pre-personal computer era) we used a temperature/humidity nomogram to determine terminal velocity for any set of environmental conditions, as it made a significant difference to forward throw, and hence where the release point needed to be for any given target position on the surface.

Upward air movement will also make a difference, although that depends on the velocity of the object. In our case, terminal velocities for parachute retarded stores were usually around 70kts to maybe 120kts, so a lot faster than someone coming down on a sport parachute.

Hi Glan. Very prepared to accept your temperature / humidity / terminal velocity observations. Just wondering if they covered the situation in clouds where, effectively, the humidity is greater than 100%?

It was just the effect that water vapour had on air density, so not the situation where there's very tiny liquid water droplets suspended by rising air movement. Because water is changing phase within a cloud, from gas to liquid, the air has to be close to being fully saturated with water vapour, so will be less dense than dry air. Not sure that the water droplets have much impact on the drag of anything falling through a cloud, I'm pretty sure it's primarily the effect of the high humidity that reduces the density a bit.

There isn't much liquid water in a cloud, either, IIRC clouds are usually only about 0.1% liquid water, the rest being air, saturated with water vapour.