Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] ‘Highland’ order discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t know that all the new highland model come with premium interior. Amazing value for the money you manage to get Ultra red and premium interior for 41000. Hope this is not your first Tesla. A low specced BMW iX cost 70000 and if you go for the full spec it will come to 110000 (with all the features we get on a model 3) and this will travel only around 200miles on the 20-80% charge calculations.

I have a feeling all the other EVs just focus on increasing the size of the battery if their battery tech isn’t good enough - an easy solution to deal with the range issue. I saw the news about the new Alfa EV coming with the biggest battery ever known to mankind or something!
It’s a bit pointless comparing an M3 to an iX. They are completely different classes of car. We know that Tesla are strong on performance and efficiency, but they cannot even begin to compete in terms of comfort and refinement. “Premium” for Tesla equates to “bog standard” for the quality German marques.

And how refreshing that BMW, Audi and Mercedes still offer real dead cow for the interior. Infinitely better than this awful vegan crap that feels like no genuine leather I’ve ever seen and just makes the interior of a Tesla seem cheap. Which it is.

The highland configurator shows what looks like alcantara on the black interior doorcards on the LR, but the render changes to what looks like some nasty fabric on the RWD. Haven't noticed it in any reviews though - they usually have the white interior.
We need to wait for the cars to start arriving but it appears as you say, fabric on RWD and alcentara on LR. You would think that the cost to move to the white interior should be more expensive for the RWD, given that it starts with cheaper materials but it's the same price.

It’s a bit pointless comparing an M3 to an iX. They are completely different classes of car. We know that Tesla are strong on performance and efficiency, but they cannot even begin to compete in terms of comfort and refinement. “Premium” for Tesla equates to “bog standard” for the quality German marques.
I think you didn’t get my point. The German marques still think they have figured out the EV market. Just for comparison in those olden days, not long ago, German marques bog standard 3 series cost around 27000 and if you go for some basic Ford mondeo it costs around 20000. The 3 series was considered posh compared to fords and it was aspirational. The reason was the 3 series matched everything when compared to a Ford - in terms of efficiency and mileage and was more luxurious. Also, it wasn’t giving a paltry 20mpg like an Alfa and unreliable. And that is how BMW or the other German car makers beat the rest of the industry and became class leading.

If something gives 10-20mpg and costs 125000 (top spec) it better be like a Bentley and drive like a porsche. I don’t think iX is anywhere close to a Bentley bentaga or something in that category. And by the way I am not going to be fooled by some real dead cow. And this is 2023 and people have different priorities and not everyone on a forum or car buying mass wants acres and acres of dead cow leather in their cars. Btw I am VEGAN if @yessuz has any more doubts.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jwdrums
And by the way I am not going to be fooled by some real dead cow. And this is 2023 and people have different priorities and not everyone on a forum or car buying mass wants acres and acres of dead cow leather in their cars. Btw I am VEGAN if @yessuz has any more doubts.
Absolutely true. I respect other people’s life style choices. However I’m not vegan or even vegetarian - in fact I would describe myself as a dedicated carcass cruncher and love my delicious meat. Even in 2023 I want the option of real dead cow.

I think you didn’t get my point. The German marques still think they have figured out the EV market. Just for comparison in those olden days, not long ago, German marques bog standard 3 series cost around 27000 and if you go for some basic Ford mondeo it costs around 20000. The 3 series was considered posh compared to fords and it was aspirational. The reason was the 3 series matched everything when compared to a Ford - in terms of efficiency and mileage and was more luxurious. Also, it wasn’t giving a paltry 20mpg like an Alfa and unreliable. And that is how BMW or the other German car makers beat the rest of the industry and became class leading.

If something gives 10-20mpg and costs 125000 (top spec) it better be like a Bentley and drive like a porsche. I don’t think iX is anywhere close to a Bentley bentaga or something in that category. And by the way I am not going to be fooled by some real dead cow. And this is 2023 and people have different priorities and not everyone on a forum or car buying mass wants acres and acres of dead cow leather in their cars. Btw I am VEGAN if @yessuz has any more doubts.
Ha, old jokes are old jokes ;))
My main issue with "vegan leather" is that is just posh name of PVC leather, which in tesla's cause shedloads of squeaks and rattles, when two of such panels/pats rub each other. It is extremely annoying.

As for the life choices, whatever fills your tummy, mate

Absolutely true. I respect other people’s life style choices. However I’m not vegan or even vegetarian - in fact I would describe myself as a dedicated carcass cruncher and love my delicious meat. Even in 2023 I want the option of real dead cow.
According to the UN 98% of leather is produced from animals that have been slaughtered for meat consumption. If the hides aren’t used for leather they are sent to landfill. In a real sense leather is a byproduct of the meat industry. The hides are already there so they might as well be used to make leather.

And yes, I also long for a leather interior. There really isn’t anything quite like it. And why do Tesla (and others) describe their cheap vegan crap as “leather”? Leather is, by definition, an animal product.

Reactions: Durzel and Artiste
The highland configurator shows what looks like alcantara on the black interior doorcards on the LR, but the render changes to what looks like some nasty fabric on the RWD. Haven't noticed it in any reviews though - they usually have the white interior.
That’s a good spot, think RWD is definitely fabric and and LR a suade effect?

Couple of screenshots from YouTube reviews, first one is a LR, 2nd photo a RWD

IMG_2486.jpeg
IMG_2489.jpeg

Leather's ideal if you have kids because you can wipe it clean, but the belief that cheap unyielding automotive vinyl is the epicure's choice because it looks a bit like leather is the work of PR departments. The weird stuff in my car is as horrible as it is durable. Cloth all the way.

Tesla seem to have dropped to a lower price catorgy now and not competing with BMW, when M3 was launched in UK the RWD was more in the price range of M340i/330d, now it is same price as poverty spec 320i. EV base i4 is £10k more and you don’t even get a driver side adjustable lumbar support let alone a lot of the other add ons, personally BMW wouldn’t be in my league EV wise
Tesla’s goal has always been volume and to reduce prices. They were only playing at that level because battery costs force those prices. Over time they’ve dropped and of course Tesla has continued to pull cost out of the car where they can.

Reactions: Mark89052