Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4.18.2. I did a brief trip into town some of it on AP. I engaged AP at least 4 times and wasn’t ‘snatched’ into the middle of the lane once. In fact I didn’t notice any movement at all. I must test it further to see if I wast just ‘in the right place’ for once!
also, dogs aren’t being rendered in this release. I passed two dog walkers. In both cases the dogs were nearer to me than the the person and both people rendered fine.
Auto braking for vehicles turning off was smooth and there was no flinching when the car in front moved into a right turn lane and I passed it.

I completed a 50 mile drive yesterday on 4.18.2. An update or two prior I was on the .15 branch for a short time, and 4.18.2 felt very similar. AP smooth, no FCW incidents and wipers also acting more normal. As with .15, 4.18.2 really doesn't like sitting next to cones, I received the 'red hands/take over' messages as soon I was in a lane next to them. Otherwise, all good :). As posted earlier, it does seem the .15 NN's have been moved over to the wider 4.18 release.

First driving impressions on 2021.4.18.2

tl;dr - car still phantom brakes, but that I don't think was ever a promise with radar equipped vehicles on this release. Autosteer nice and smooth but road flares/lane splits can still catch it out.

Did my twice weekly 30 mile round trip. Weather - dry, sun very bright - you wouldn't have been wanting to wear react-a-lite/photochromic glasses as long stretches of journey are surrounded by trees so normal screen then sudden flickers of screen whiting out. Initially driving east, then back west. Duration ~1h15m

On TACC, A road, 40mph limit/TACC set to 38/39, following vehicles. Car felt nervous following vehicles just like one of the 4.15.x releases - it was not reacting smoothly to vehicles ahead adjusting speed. It was only slight, but I could feel the car surging. I was ready for the phantom brake, and it quickly came passing a refuse lorry in bright sun casting a big shadow across my lane. The road would have been on a bit I think at this point - would need to revisit the dashcam. I briefly looked at cars speed and it was 30 something, so at least 10mph/25% knocked off speed within the length of a garbage truck. Passenger said that they were not aware car was on TACC until that point, so just me noticing the nervousness.

Next section, 50mph, TACC at 49, had the privilege of a SUV I think pulling out of an oblique side road on my left across my path and past us. Car braked heavily but it was the right call as definitely needed avoiding action - I cannot believe that people can drive across 50mph traffic expecting them to slow. As the junction was oblique, the period of time that vehicle was across our path was longer than normal. At some point, I'll try and pull the footage. Slight negative, it all felt a little of an overreaction and I think if I had been in control of speed, it would have been less of an event. From jaded recollection, car felt that it reacted, then thought about it, then reacted again.

Rest of outbound trip was uneventful other than wanting to route up a set of minor backroads with single line when traffic on main route was running slow but normally. Apparently it saved 3 minutes, but in reality, due to traffic light controlled single file over a bridge it probably would have cost us that.

Return trip, M25 clockwise heavy traffic 40mph limit then M3. Intersection and extended merge 50mph. 70mph medium to heavy free flowing traffic. NoA - Car worked fine in 40 limit but a little nervous as cars in front varied their speed or cut in in front. At split of interchange (M3 south vs North), it briefly headed towards an inappropriate lane - it looked like it was briefly following the van in front (darker grey) which was heading in opposite direction, before indicating and selecting the outer of two lanes - not the one that I would normally take, but it had done the same once before on 4.15.x so I was ready for it this time - last time it disengaged. Took the intersection nice and smoothly. The reason why I normally take the other lane is that it becomes a lane in its own right, but this lane involved a merge into a 50mph lane - basically a very long on ramp. Everything was clear and lanes chevroned off so I let the car do its own thing. It ran the merge to the very end but did merge into the other lane without crossing the chevrons. I don't recall noticing it indicate. Other than that, it was a nice and smooth merge, but had there been adjacent traffic I don't know how it would have responded and I'm not going to try it in those conditions to see - it was so uneventful that I wonder if the car thought it had exclusive use of the new lane. Its behaviour also doesn't alter my reluctance to use NoA for on ramp merge. I'm just not convinced its not going to run me off the road at the apex.

Otherwise nice and smooth run of 1 junction. Only did a couple of auto lane changes, no issues, nice and smooth. NoA's lane change suggestions as bad as usual. Which got me thinking. As all the lanes were running at same/similar speed, why does it suggest that I pull into right lane to overtake (especially as I was coming within a couple of miles) when it could see that the car in that lane that I would end up following was travelling at exact same speed as me. Absolutely nothing to be gained.

Leaving the offramp, inside lane becomes the offramp, main motorway loses a lane. Car hesitated at the offramp lane split and auto steer disengaged - probably due to me holding the wheel as it started to turn a bit more abruptly. Remained on TACC up the off ramp as was following other vehicles. At another 2 to 3 split, I was pulling to the left lane to turn left. Car braked heavily as middle lane had a large truck in it. Plenty of room to trucks left and lane totally clear, but TACC didn't seem to take this into consideration even though steering angle and lane markings would have been clear that car was heading to the left of the truck.

Final section. 50 mph undulating A road, TACC at 48, largely overhung by trees, so car in shadows except for occasional sun breaking through to road. On one fairly minor undulation, car was not following anything, car brakes fairly abruptly, probably 5mph/10%. Later on, following other vehicles, a significant hump in the road, car was fine.

Other observations.
  • Pulled up adjacent to a speed limit sign and it was correctly identified even though it would have been difficult/impossible to detect from front windscreen cameras.
  • Voice commands just as bad as normal, totally deaf on some occasions - did check LTE connection but it was showing full/most bars.
  • Passed a couple of cyclists, one on TACC, not convinced they were spotted (they were not very visible to naked eye) - didn't notice them visualised. All given a wide berth, the one on TACC car did not flinch - just how it should have been - but not how its been in the past in similar situation. Blind or better?
  • Regen didn't seem quite so strong. Not a temperature thing - ~20C and over an hour of driving still behaving the same.
  • Stop line at end of my road well out. Even more than normal. Looks like its moved a couple of car lengths sooner.
  • Sat Nav wanted me to take 1st exit at major roundabout (M25) when I was going straight ahead - certainly not a case of getting its clockwise and anticlockwise wrong as it would have been 2nd exit no matter which way round the roundabout. 2021 nav map. Don't think its specifically a 4.18.2 thing but thought I would mention it as I'm fully up on latest f/w and maps.
  • TACC/AP behaviour felt very 2021.4.15.x. Not been in position to test wipers, but no dry wiping.
  • Didn't notice auto high beam behaviour - it was bright so no need for high beam - one for a drive on a darker day
  • AP nags still there but that was expected - but maybe just maybe the nags are not quite so frequent

It was tricky light conditions when driving long sections in the shadow of trees with constant dull/bright flickering conditions.

Last edited:
Sadly not yet - the Update Teacher must have separated us for sniggering at the back of the class.

But I did just notice my Navigation data has updated to EU-2021.8-12875 which is nice.
I’m sure you’ll be allowed out of detention soon. ;)

Just had a look, but the map fairy has not visited yet again. To be fair, Norfolk is a grey area where mapping is concerned. Back in days of old, the East Anglians must have burnt unwary cartographers at the stake. :eek:

TeslaFi is reporting another new version: 2021.4.18.3 (a Tesla Model 3 Long Range DM in Germany)

EDIT - looks to be just Model 3s in Europe (which includes the UK...)

More info via link below

Software version 2021.4.18.3 was just detected on a Tesla Model 3 Long Range DM in Germany. The highest previous version was 2021.4.18.2. Follow the 2021.4.18.3 release at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Reactions: Mark-R
If you see any hint of the vision based driver monitoring, ie its in the release notes, please do let us know.
I have just completed my 'Crystal Ball Reading Course' with Mystic Meg (not cheap at £50,000, but a bargain given I can now predict the winning lottery numbers:D). Anyway, my crystal ball says:

2021.4.18.3 Release Notes: Minor Fixes - This release contains minor bug fixes and improvements