Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, they've buggered up the driver profiles. When you adjust the seat it doesn't pop up the profile and offer to save the changes. It also doesn't auto-store the changes. You can alter the seat position (for example), then go to a different profile. Swap back to the original and the new seat position hasn't been saved.

In fact, I cant find any option to save the profile (might be missing something obvious) so make sure that your driver profile is set up spot on before installing this latest release.

Well done Tesla....

I wonder if this might be related to the mention in one of their scripts of profiles being moved to the cloud?
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1364095764406951936

I reckon either someone had a bad day with the code repository and accidentally merged the "save" part of this feature, it's meant to check if the feature is available first but not doing that, or it's wrongly trying to use an internal/development network (i.e. it would probably look fine until it's pushed out to the users!)

All guesses. Probably wrong but the only reasons I can think for profiles to be broken in this particular way.

I worked in software design audit in the 80s and 90s, in big science, like CERN. We used to talk about the "version 4" phenomenon. There was a common pattern to software maintenance. Version 1 should never have been delivered but management forced it. Version 2 was what version 1 should have been. Version 3 got some needed new features and enhancements. But the software structure was already starting to deteriorate. (Picture a sleek office building with bits of wood nailed here and there, and odd lumps of brickwork cemented on.) By the time version 4 was happening every code change broke more than it fixed. Version 4 would be avoided by the users. Version 5 was a complete redesign and rewrite. It's also known as software entropy. And the crumbling ruin.

I fervently hope that all that is completely irrelevant to the current discussion.

I would love to be a fly on the wall inside Tesla in terms of the focus on software development, and how much input engineers have.

There's stuff in the car - e.g. like gapless playback on USB, that seems to me like it would be pretty easy to implement, but it just never happens. That suggests to me that there is a 90% completion mentality internally with features. They get serious attention and development effort in the initial "wouldn't it be cool if" phase, but it never gets fully completed, refined or iterated on at a later date, because it becomes boring once launched and a new whizzbang feature request has distracted them.

The relentless focus on new games and updates to existing ones, I'll never understand. Boombox too, can we really celebrate the car farting at pedestrians when it can't do stuff like auto wipers and auto headlights properly?

Reactions: OttoR and drewpost
The relentless focus on new games and updates to existing ones, I'll never understand. Boombox too, can we really celebrate the car farting at pedestrians when it can't do stuff like auto wipers and auto headlights properly?

Do many of us actually play these games? I don't have an issue that they are available and the fart is fun the first day you get the car but surely cars are there to drive and not sit in them when you reach your destination.

Even when Supercharging I am more likely to be out of the car than in and was very underwhelmed with the added games at Christmas.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha