Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say… this stuff is beginning to worry me. I’m 3.5 weeks from collection. Dodgy headlights, phantom braking, glitchy wipers.. no way points or auto zoom / lane guidance on the sat nav, no iPhone or Android integration (not talking about CarPlay, just the ability to choose my music on the screen or be able to invoke Siri with a button press). No blind spot indicators on the mirrors (where I’d naturally be looking when changing lane). No foot detection for the powered boot. No ventilated seats (a must have with that sweaty plastic leather IMHO). No intelligent lighting. No key fob (unless you pay an exorbitant amount).

Ford managed to get these things right on a 5 year old car so why can’t Tesla do the same? Why bother putting a driving game on the screen that scrubs your tyres to death if you use the steering wheel? Maybe Ford shouldn’t be as worried as they seem to be. They do get an awful lot of things right.

I’m sure I will enjoy the car despite these niggles and I hope that the software catches up soon.

bearing in mind mine is March 2020, my wipers are fine as are my headlights. I’ve experienced mild braking a few times. On AP, the on screen road markers turn red as a blind spot warning. I have my music on SSD in the car and Spotify plays what I want by voice command.
I wouldn’t worry too much. There are a lot of things that will make you love it.
plus it’s exceedingly difficult to steal it!

bearing in mind mine is March 2020, my wipers are fine as are my headlights. I’ve experienced mild braking a few times. On AP, the on screen road markers turn red as a blind spot warning. I have my music on SSD in the car and Spotify plays what I want by voice command.
I wouldn’t worry too much. There are a lot of things that will make you love it.
plus it’s exceedingly difficult to steal it!
I would suggest if you think the Tesla headlights are fine you haven't seen the adaptive headlights of the German marques. In comparison they are poor both in functionality and illumination and the "auto" main beam setting is straight up dangerous

Reactions: Durzel
I would suggest if you think the Tesla headlights are fine you haven't seen the adaptive headlights of the German marques. In comparison they are poor both in functionality and illumination and the "auto" main beam setting is straight up dangerous
Would agree 100%. I've got a Peugeot e-2008 at the moment, a car that has an OTR of about 50% of my Model 3, and the auto headlights and wipers are excellent. They turn off as fast I would do manually in the face of an oncoming car or distant brake lights. It's a night and day difference.

I find the 2021 headlights excellent for illumination on low and main beam, certainly better than previous models. They aren't adaptive so you miss out on high-beam illumination with on-coming traffic but personally I don't do enough night time driving for it to be a major setback from my previous vehicle which did have it and I tend to use manual control for main beam.

Tesla did demonstrate new lights with the German factory tour a few weeks ago, which suggests there will be different lights for European built vehicles in the future. But at the moment they use a worldwide system to keep costs down and as US law forbids adaptive lights.....

Anything made from late 2020 has the adaptive headlight technology, just not the software to drive it. Peer into the headlight from about 8 inches away (with them off, obviously...) and you'll be able to see the LED matrix.

If you have a UV light, shine it into the headlight and the individual LED elements will glow.

Reactions: Magstauk
I’ve never owned a German car so haven’t had better. You’ve right, auto main beam is rubbish. I don’t use it. Didn’t like it on earlier cars to be fair

Not just German cars! Auto wipers and auto dipping headlights were better on my Sunderland built / assembled (?) Qashqai. But I’m sure both will be sorted after enough software updates. I had been thinking wipers weren’t too bad now until last night when I was driving in variably heavy drizzle. Very slow to come on and then to adapt to changing rainfall levels

Not just German cars! Auto wipers and auto dipping headlights were better on my Sunderland built / assembled (?) Qashqai. But I’m sure both will be sorted after enough software updates. I had been thinking wipers weren’t too bad now until last night when I was driving in variably heavy drizzle. Very slow to come on and then to adapt to changing rainfall levels
Doesn't it seem strange to buy a car where functions don't work and just hope for a software update? I think thay makes Tesla owners unique and insanely patient in the car world. I actually expected to spend over 60 grand on something that worked. Not that might work in the future

Reactions: M3LR21
TIDAL sounds really good, and it’s super simple to log into it in the car (point QR code at screen and log on with your phone). Definitely recommend getting the 30 day trial (might as well get the “hifi” level subscription for the highest bitrate)

Liking the TACC chime too.

Decent release, just wish we had remote Sentry viewing in the UK…

7DF0A580-2FEA-4D7D-9DFB-599B335A93E5.jpeg

Doesn't it seem strange to buy a car where functions don't work and just hope for a software update? I think thay makes Tesla owners unique and insanely patient in the car world. I actually expected to spend over 60 grand on something that worked. Not that might work in the future
I don’t think most of us knew what we weren’t getting when placing the orders. Most manufacturers provide a very detailed spec for their cars - Tesla rather less so.