Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish I could get hold of a Tesla advisor to get some straight answers on a few things like this!

I bet if you asked a different Tesla advisor, you would get a different straight set of answers... and if you asked another 5 you would get another 5 sets of different answers.

Tesla rule #1 - don't take anything a Tesla representative says at face value. And this includes those right at the top.

Reactions: CMc1
They work perfectly well on my 2019 version too.
They are garbage on my 2020 version too slow to react by a long way. Hence why I consider them dangerous. Dazzling oncoming cars isn't a good thing. And that's just the auto feature. The fact they aren't adaptive like their rivals is poor. The actual illumination though, is very much below any other car in it's class

I have to say… this stuff is beginning to worry me. I’m 3.5 weeks from collection. Dodgy headlights, phantom braking, glitchy wipers.. no way points or auto zoom / lane guidance on the sat nav, no iPhone or Android integration (not talking about CarPlay, just the ability to choose my music on the screen or be able to invoke Siri with a button press). No blind spot indicators on the mirrors (where I’d naturally be looking when changing lane). No foot detection for the powered boot. No ventilated seats (a must have with that sweaty plastic leather IMHO). No intelligent lighting. No key fob (unless you pay an exorbitant amount).

Ford managed to get these things right on a 5 year old car so why can’t Tesla do the same? Why bother putting a driving game on the screen that scrubs your tyres to death if you use the steering wheel? Maybe Ford shouldn’t be as worried as they seem to be. They do get an awful lot of things right.

I’m sure I will enjoy the car despite these niggles and I hope that the software catches up soon.
Welcome to the world of car forums!

Reactions: Jason71
They are garbage on my 2020 version too slow to react by a long way. Hence why I consider them dangerous. Dazzling oncoming cars isn't a good thing. And that's just the auto feature. The fact they aren't adaptive like their rivals is poor. The actual illumination though, is very much below any other car in it's class
Mine react more or less instantly. They aren't adaptive, but that was something I knew when buying the car.

I will accept that the auto-wipers in the dark are rubbish. Daytime they are fine, better than my previous BMW (which were auto but I still had to turn them on when it started raining, and constantly fiddle with some kind of sensitivity wheel).

Reactions: Yachtsman
Whenever you look online for information for anything, you’ll find lots of bad opinions and some good ones
We are creatures of habit. We complain if something’s not right but say little when it’s fine.
you have go with your gut feel In the end.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Test drive another EV if you want to feel better about the Tesla.

Other brands get the basics right, often a lot better than Tesla, but man oh man how are they still getting the user experience stuff so wrong in 2021? The BMW i3 I had a couple of years ago was quirky, and very restricted in what it would do. The Peugeot e-2008 I've got on subscription at the moment - the UI apparently needs me to stick updates on a USB stick and take it into the car. It can't update wirelessly even though it can connect to wireless in the car? It also took a full week before I could even see it properly in the app, and the app is crap.

Outside of maybe a Taycan (and I'm sure that has quirks too) Tesla have really nailed the user experience in the car, in my opinion. The UI is slick and responsive, and when you're interacting with it every time you drive the car you definitely notice how poorly other brands measure up.

I wouldn't call myself an Apple fanboy but the car really has that "first iPhone among a sea of crusty WAP phones" sort of appeal. Everything else you experience seems uniquely broken by comparison, which is criminal in a post-iPhone/iPad world.

Test drive another EV if you want to feel better about the Tesla.

Other brands get the basics right, often a lot better than Tesla, but man oh man how are they still getting the user experience stuff so wrong in 2021? The BMW i3 I had a couple of years ago was quirky, and very restricted in what it would do. The Peugeot e-2008 I've got on subscription at the moment - the UI apparently needs me to stick updates on a USB stick and take it into the car. It can't update wirelessly even though it can connect to wireless in the car? It also took a full week before I could even see it properly in the app, and the app is crap.

Outside of maybe a Taycan (and I'm sure that has quirks too) Tesla have really nailed the user experience in the car, in my opinion. The UI is slick and responsive, and when you're interacting with it every time you drive the car you definitely notice how poorly other brands measure up.

I wouldn't call myself an Apple fanboy but the car really has that "first iPhone among a sea of crusty WAP phones" sort of appeal. Everything else you experience seems uniquely broken by comparison, which is criminal in a post-iPhone/iPad world.
That Hyundai Ionic 5 that the journo's are saying is awesome after 15mins of press car driving just released an exciting new way to update the nav without visiting a dealer. Download at home and load it onto a usb then upgrade the car while keeping the motor running.
Ionic 5 users also needed to change the clock manually when we went to GMT.
Tesla get so much right we take for granted.

I don’t think Tesla have got the interface right, at least not the navigation and infotainment part. In any other modern car I just select CarPlay and get a familiar, powerful and feature rich environment. Tesla seem years behind compared to that.

Other parts of the car interaction and interior I’d agree with you.
Clearly you have experienced some different version of Carplay to our Leaf. I get an utterly basic experience that looks to be designed to be used by pre-schoolers on too small a screen to be useful. Its only redeeming features is that its better than the built-in sat nav that looks like my Navigon sat nav device from 20 years ago but is actually slower.

Clearly you have experienced some different version of Carplay to our Leaf. I get an utterly basic experience that looks to be designed to be used by pre-schoolers on too small a screen to be useful. Its only redeeming features is that its better than the built-in sat nav that looks like my Navigon sat nav device from 20 years ago but is actually slower.
AA/CP rely on the car’s inbuilt system to have a decent screen and a cpu that can actually provide a good user experience. Clearly that isn’t the case with the Leaf but I’m sure the Tesla system would be great if they would allow it.

Reactions: page3
Must be. It’s excellent on the cars I’ve had.

So much functionality, usability and flexibility lost since moving to Tesla’s system. Still, the car makes up for it in other ways.

Yachtsman and pow216, don’t be shy, feel free to say why you disagree with me. We’re all Tesla fans here. 😀
I did not down vote but I do disagree in part. The satnav. Is not great but the infotainment is far and away the best built in system I have seen. Features are good and it's fast, responsive and a big screen.

Maybe AA and car play have some advantages
But
No one is building a screen lkke the M3's one to use them on.

Now AA/CP with the M3 screen and processor that might be something.

Reactions: page3 and Durzel
I disagreed too, but not enough to actually “disagree”.

I don’t really like the trend of Apple and Google intruding on the car UI. I don’t have to have Apple interfaces everywhere I turn, and when I’m driving I’m going somewhere - I don’t need to have a bunch of apps on standby, as my phone is in my pocket anyway. I also like that Tesla doesn’t have to pay for licensing it.

(I have an iPhone, Apple Watch, MacBook Pro and other Apple stuff, so it’s not like I’m not happy with the ecosystem)

Yachtsman and pow216, don’t be shy, feel free to say why you disagree with me. We’re all Tesla fans here. 😀

As an apple user I agree with the lack CarPlay or android auto for that matter. Like most, I agree (albeit biased) that by far and as a whole, its above the rest. Having said that, It would of been nice to have at least the ancient iPod support and even my old golf (pre CarPlay) had better bluetooth support as far drilling down for music from the phone on the infotainment screen. I digress that this is still within scope in future updates or at least further scope for th rumoured Tesla app store.

I do agree that if you put a thumbs down, you should put your two pence in for what its worth... ive put a "agree", albeit not fully towards "balancing the books"