Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And clearly selecting Normal or Advanced has no impact in getting priority updates either...
I've actually noticed a change in behaviour recently for standard mode, but possibly not enough samples to know for sure - only on 5th update this year (by choice) so may have been taken off the Tesla mugs list of early adopters - previously averaged over 2 updates per month and seemingly no difference in frequency of offerings between advanced and standard.

However, as of recent versions, we have only been offered the latest stable release for that version. So not definitive, but empirically different behaviour than previous couple of years,

Certainly, if correct, a useful change. Got tired of being offered (and constantly having to decline the install nag) pretty much any minor release no matter what setting we were on.

I charged to 90% yesterday and the undocumented blended regen icon showed up, presumably to warn that regen was low.
The manual brakes weren’t being applied.

Yeah, I get the icon, but still no option to have the car help with brakes....

On Wednesday I charged my car to 100% for the first time in ages for a trip to Preston from Southampton.
Regen braking was next to useless (with a too-full battery) until I got to the motorway but was still poor.
Wasn't paying much attention to the coloured symbols on the screen except there was a new one there I'd never seen before.
In among the light symbols was a green circle with a lump on one side and green electric "bold" symbol inside it.
I'm guessing it was the new merged real+regen braking?
Braking still needed pedal help for heavy braking until I was down to 90%
The green symbol disappeared not long after I joined the A34.

The icon isn't for 'blended brakes' - at least not in the UK.

If you tap on it an info card will appear telling you that regen is low due to high charge/cool battery etc. Looks like this new icon replaces the floating info text you used to get warning you regen was limited.

The radio logos look nice. But can we reorder favourites yet, or are they still just shown in reverse order of the order you added them?
I noticed these. Now I know DAB scrolling txt isn’t new in .40 but when I look back to the wish list threads from say 1 or 2 years ago, Tesla do seem to be working through them. Logos too.

Availability of spare parts ✖️

WiFi Region? = Poor Signal ✖️

Premium connectivity region✔️ new e-sims provisioned.

Navigation: Roundabout (Rotary) Exits ?

Incorrect auto-profile selected ?

DIY Cabin Filter Replacement ✔️ Redesign

Infotainment: DAB Text Scrolling ✔️

AP (Autopilot) Left Bias / Veering✔️

Water Issues. ?

Navigation: 3rd Party CCS Charge Points Ionity Added

SPEED LIMITER - feature request ?

Charging Start Stop Times and Scheduled Departure ✖️

Supercharger Sites with Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras. ✖️

Speed sign recognition - speed limit override ✖️

Satnav Improvements ✔️

Inappropriate Braking ?

NoA Motorway On, Off ramp handling and on ramp lane merge behaviour ?

NoA lane change blocked by phantom lorry (truck) in adjacent lane ?

TACC does not like 20mph zones ✖️

Corrective steering applied on single track roads ?

This has been said for years, but some people will still swear blind it does make a difference. I find it both hilarious and sad that Tesla have felt the need to specifically state it doesn’t make a difference!

Weird that Tesla take to mention this, especially since other technically knowledgeable parts of Tesla* specifically tell you to put foot in brake when rebooting as a safety precaution - something that you would not be able to do during a remote reboot such as that seemingly performed at end of a software update although not always one to clear issues as its often the second manual reboot that clears odd behaviour.

* A year or so ago, my car was being remotely diagnosed by Tesla remote diagnostics team. I was specifically told to press the brake whilst performing the reboot. I queried it with them, and got the response along the lines of 'its in case the car does something weird during the reboot, like starting to roll'.

Certainly 3 years ago, pressing the foot brake whilst performing a reboot took twice as long as not pressing it (and a source at Tesla confirmed as such although usual Tesla, ask 6 people, get 6 different answers). Without fail, a foot on brake reboot use to take a count to 45, without brake, much less than that. But things do change and procedures from several years back may have changed. Interesting that they feel the need to mention as tbh, pressing the brake during a reboot takes zero effort and its just another place to rest your foot.

I suspect that its like some ICE instruction booklets and dashboard displays that tell you to press the clutch when starting the car - its potentially best practice that will cover you if a problem occurs during the procedure.

Reactions: diddy84
Weird that Tesla take to mention this, especially since other technically knowledgeable parts of Tesla* specifically tell you to put foot in brake when rebooting as a safety precaution - something that you would not be able to do during a remote reboot such as that seemingly performed at end of a software update although not always one to clear issues as its often the second manual reboot that clears odd behaviour.

* A year or so ago, my car was being remotely diagnosed by Tesla remote diagnostics team. I was specifically told to press the brake whilst performing the reboot. I queried it with them, and got the response along the lines of 'its in case the car does something weird during the reboot, like starting to roll'.

Certainly 3 years ago, pressing the foot brake whilst performing a reboot took twice as long as not pressing it (and a source at Tesla confirmed as such although usual Tesla, ask 6 people, get 6 different answers). Without fail, a foot on brake reboot use to take a count to 45, without brake, much less than that. But things do change and procedures from several years back may have changed. Interesting that they feel the need to mention as tbh, pressing the brake during a reboot takes zero effort and its just another place to rest your foot.

I suspect that its like some ICE instruction booklets and dashboard displays that tell you to press the clutch when starting the car - its potentially best practice that will cover you if a problem occurs during the procedure.
My MY LR just decided to take 40.4.1

Stops you from lurching forward if you try to start the car in gear! (Though wouldn’t stop you from lurching if you then take your foot off without taking it out of gear, so maybe just delaying the issue?)

It reboots whether your foot is on the brake or not. If your foot isn't on the brake it skips a number of checks would would delay the startup. That's the reason for the time difference.

Same thing happens in aviation. A restart of a general purpose computer on a 787 takes 45 seconds in flight. On the ground it's 5 minutes.

Downloading 2022.40.4

A general observation regarding the last few updates: the car seems much more reticent to offer the update 'remotely' via waking with the app. I had go to the car and open the software tab on the car's screen to be offered this despite fiddling around with the app minutes earlier.