Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else feel that this latest spate of updates suggests even more chaos amongst the dofwewr developers and less internal quality control of their work than usual?
Yes, definitely. A few years ago a software update was something to look forward to and usually included a significant upgrade. Now updates are coming think and fast, some are so bad they are swiftly withdrawn and some seem just to correct bugs in the previous very recent update. Frankly I find the frequency of updates, with no discernible benefit, to be deeply irritating.

What does amuse me, though, is that after nearly every update someone will claim the utterly crap auto wipers are fixed. They never are.

Yes, definitely. A few years ago a software update was something to look forward to and usually included a significant upgrade. Now updates are coming think and fast, some are so bad they are swiftly withdrawn and some seem just to correct bugs in the previous very recent update. Frankly I find the frequency of updates, with no discernible benefit, to be deeply irritating.

What does amuse me, though, is that after nearly every update someone will claim the utterly crap auto wipers are fixed. They never are.
It's not really born out by the numbers though, there were significantly fewer updates in 2023 than 2020, so updates are now really coming slower than before.

30​
26​
28​
21​

It's always needed about 5 attempts before they move onto the next update.

It's not really born out by the numbers though, there were significantly fewer updates in 2023 than 2020, so updates are now really coming slower than before.

30​
26​
28​
21​

Thatā€™s a reminder that we should never let reality get in the way of a good story!

You might want to have a recap on roadsigns. Roundabouts and mini roundabouts are quite well defined.

Mini roundabout:
View attachment 1008316

ā€Regularā€ roundabout:
View attachment 1008317
Well maybe you might actually set down your highway code book and try driving on actual roads then? A lot of the time, you won't see these signs at all approaching a roundabout, but just a regular road sign with a graphic showing London left, town centre straight on, business park to the right for example. So again, what defines a mini roundabout from a regular roundabout? Its still not clear. Advising people not to indicate at a mini roundabouts just isn't sound advice IMO. Indicating at all roundabouts is just a better approach, and I find it hard to consider the other side of that argument TBH.

You might want to have a recap on roadsigns. Roundabouts and mini roundabouts are quite well defined.

Mini roundabout:
View attachment 1008316

ā€Regularā€ roundabout:
View attachment 1008317
Interestingly, since your post I noticed that a roundabout near me has one sign on one approach and the other sign on the opposite approach... I haven't checked the other 2 approaches yet. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

• Funny
Reactions: Cardo
Well maybe you might actually set down your highway code book and try driving on actual roads then? A lot of the time, you won't see these signs at all approaching a roundabout, but just a regular road sign with a graphic showing London left, town centre straight on, business park to the right for example. So again, what defines a mini roundabout from a regular roundabout? Its still not clear. Advising people not to indicate at a mini roundabouts just isn't sound advice IMO. Indicating at all roundabouts is just a better approach, and I find it hard to consider the other side of that argument TBH.
Agreed, thereā€™s ones that are hardly any bigger than a regular T junction near me to others that are big enough to be a full blown roundabout with just a small circle of paint slapped in the middle of the road because occasionally massive loads that need wide load support vehicles come that way and need tons of space and room.

Simple rule is always indicate. Itā€™s funny that we are only discussing if we should bother with indicating when Tesla starts to make it hard to do.

30​
26​
28​
21​

Where have those figures come from? Teslafi show 51 variants of 2023.x.x live in their fleet. We are at 9 attempts just to get 2023.44.30 right.

Agreed, thereā€™s ones that are hardly any bigger than a regular T junction near me to others that are big enough to be a full blown roundabout with just a small circle of paint slapped in the middle of the road because occasionally massive loads that need wide load support vehicles come that way and need tons of space and room.

Simple rule is always indicate. Itā€™s funny that we are only discussing if we should bother with indicating when Tesla starts to make it hard to do.
Its ok to be critical of Tesla, but perhaps we sometimes want to be too forgiving. IMO, this is just a bad error from Tesla the way they have gone with indicator buttons. We all own Teslas, so its not like we hate them or anything. I love Man United but there is quite a lot of things I'm not happy about right now, and I'm not going to gloss over the reality. Bad decisions have been made.

Just heard Elons latest take about his Tesla share ownership %. OMG. Glad I'm not a shareholder right now! Never a dull moment with Tesla, thats for sure.

No one saying donā€™t indicate, they are saying at a typical mini roundabout you donā€™t need to indicate to exit because the exit comes up so quickly, your car is already past the exit before the first flash even happens.

In reality your indicator needs to flash ~3 times before other road users take note of it and react accordingly. Youā€™ll be half way down the next road from the mini roundabout by the time that happens.

Your comment seems slightly aggressive, perhaps you should check your own facts before telling someone else they are wrong. Admittedly a small sample size, but I just spent some time picking random mini roundabouts and normal roundabouts on the map & checking street view (in several different towns & regions of England).

Every single mini roundabout I looked at, without fail, had the small blue mini roundabout sign at every approach road, like this:

1705397760023.png

Slightly larger ones always have the red triangle sign. These ones are quite rare, as this type of roundabout are not very common:

1705397995171.png

Every big roundabout that did not have one of those two signs, had a larger sign on the coloured background appropriate for the road (A road green, B road white etc)

1705397882180.png

Interesting point of note, the bigger the roundabout, the further back the sign is. Mini roundabouts have them right on the junction, or very close to it. The red triangles are maybe 50m away. The bigger signs with directions are often also scaled in distance depending on the speed limit of the road, it seems. Pretty sensible IMO.

Reactions: Cardo
No one saying donā€™t indicate, they are saying at a typical mini roundabout you donā€™t need to indicate to exit because the exit comes up so quickly, your car is already past the exit before the first flash even happens.

In reality your indicator needs to flash ~3 times before other road users take note of it and react accordingly. Youā€™ll be half way down the next road from the mini roundabout by the time that happens.
The discussion point originated from Evmeister saying:

I was explicitly taught that indicating on smaller mini roundabouts is pointless by 2 highly qualified driving instructors in the past 10 years. Maybe some of you indicator-sticklers need a refresher. ;)

Interpretation is everything I guess, which is why I brought up the point about mini roundabouts and regular roundabouts. At some point, which we might struggle to define, a mini roundabout eventually becomes more than a mini roundabout. There are tiny roundabouts, there are enormous ones, and everything in between. But, as its been pointed out, we've 2 sets of guidelines, depending on the size, of which we can't clearly define.

Lets not lose sight of the topic that links in with this, indicator buttons on the wheel. Combine the 2 things above and at some point in time, you may have your wheel upside down just as you need to indicate left to leave the roundabout. Thats the key point. We then muddy the water a little, quoting highly qualified drivers etc but maybe we should just cast all that to the side and just acknowledge one key point:

'You may have your wheel upside down just as you need to indicate left to leave a roundabout'

I think thats the key point we're discussing here, and it'll be a bit more awkward now in a new Tesla. We can muddy that up all we want, but there will be real world examples in day to day driving that this will be the case. Its really hard to argue that this scenario would never happen.

Your comment seems slightly aggressive, perhaps you should check your own facts before telling someone else they are wrong. Admittedly a small sample size, but I just spent some time picking random mini roundabouts and normal roundabouts on the map & checking street view (in several different towns & regions of England).

Every single mini roundabout I looked at, without fail, had the small blue mini roundabout sign at every approach road, like this:

View attachment 1009345

Slightly larger ones always have the red triangle sign. These ones are quite rare, as this type of roundabout are not very common:

View attachment 1009348

Every big roundabout that did not have one of those two signs, had a larger sign on the coloured background appropriate for the road (A road green, B road white etc)

View attachment 1009347

Interesting point of note, the bigger the roundabout, the further back the sign is. Mini roundabouts have them right on the junction, or very close to it. The red triangles are maybe 50m away. The bigger signs with directions are often also scaled in distance depending on the speed limit of the road, it seems. Pretty sensible IMO.
I would add, no one is telling anyone not to indicate at mini-roundabouts. What we are saying is there is no requirement to indicate left when on the mini-roundabout to leave, and very often it's not remotely practical. As such it's less likely than some people imagine to need to operate the indicator buttons when the wheel is actually turned.

Aren't mini-roundabouts made of paint rather than having a physical roundabout ? Outstanding effort to argue that's it's totally impossible to know that a roundabout is 'mini'.