Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notateslaapp are reporting this contains Adaptive Headlights for Model3 Highland

1000003028.png

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Hopefully will be available to all Model 3 with matrix lights soon
That would be nice but on the other hand removes the "urgent need" for people to be persuaded into the new shiny thing that Tesla would rather sell. On the flip side, buying into something, knowing that the company does all it can to keep older cars relevant is also a good sales story.

Matrix headlights are an incredible feature IMO and if implemented well, makes driving at night a complete gamechanger.

Only downside is that you lose indicators with the new M3 :(
Dunno why you got downvoted. This tech when implemented well is night and day (pun intended) better than regular old unintellgent headlights, even ones that are made up of blocks like the pre-Highland "matrix" ones are.

(from a Polestar 2 obviously, not a Tesla)

Reactions: 2020M3SR
Dunno why you got downvoted. This tech when implemented well is night and day (pun intended) better than regular old unintellgent headlights, even ones that are made up of blocks like the pre-Highland "matrix" ones are.

I downvoted because I am bored of comments on the indicators on every single thread that mentions the highland.

I actually agree that Matrix/adaptive headlights are a game changer. I had them on my Gold GTD

These things always look impressive ... though I don't think I have ever seen a video that shows the view from the cars that are approaching the car with the matrix lights. It always looks good from the matrix owner's point of view but I can't help having a nagging doubt about how this magic works for everyone else! I see cars approaching me with glaring lights from time to time ... I hope the drivers are not smuggly thinking how wonderful their matrix lights are working.

I have been slightly blinded on occasion by oncoming cars that probably have this kind of tech, but not to the extent of being blinded by someone's full beam being on. it is more of a fleeting irritation than something that feels careless, if that makes sense.

it is probably fair to say that there is a difference to other road users from this tech, but lights generally seem to have gotten more piercing etc in recent years anyway.

Reactions: M3noob and Adopado
These things always look impressive ... though I don't think I have ever seen a video that shows the view from the cars that are approaching the car with the matrix lights. It always looks good from the matrix owner's point of view but I can't help having a nagging doubt about how this magic works for everyone else! I see cars approaching me with glaring lights from time to time ... I hope the drivers are not smuggly thinking how wonderful their matrix lights are working.
VAG cars have nailed headlights down extremely well. Was in my friends ID3 in a bit of fog and even with gentle steering, you could see the headlights moving with even minor turns of the wheel and for the matrix lights in general, full beam is exceptional. Eg, if you look at hedgerows behind the oncoming car, you can see them become 'unlit' as the car passes that space and then magically light up again once the car is beyond.

Honestly, its brilliant tech, hence my earlier post when I called them a 'game changer' They absolutely are IMO. Obviously haven't seen Teslas implementation yet but if you watch some Bjorn Nyland videos where he tries matrix headlights and tells you all about their behaviour, you will get the answer to your video question. He was pretty wowed too. He did a test in a brand which was appalling though, can't remember, might have been a Stellantis brand but can't remember now.

VAG cars have nailed headlights down extremely well. Was in my friends ID3 in a bit of fog and even with gentle steering, you could see the headlights moving with even minor turns of the wheel and for the matrix lights in general, full beam is exceptional. Eg, if you look at hedgerows behind the oncoming car, you can see them become 'unlit' as the car passes that space and then magically light up again once the car is beyond.

Honestly, its brilliant tech, hence my earlier post when I called them a 'game changer' They absolutely are IMO. Obviously haven't seen Teslas implementation yet but if you watch some Bjorn Nyland videos where he tries matrix headlights and tells you all about their behaviour, you will get the answer to your video question. He was pretty wowed too. He did a test in a brand which was appalling though, can't remember, might have been a Stellantis brand but can't remember now.
When done well they do look to be a substantial improvement, particularly as we get older and our night vision isn't what it once was. But I fear the Tesla implementation will be a new source of constant complaints here. Time will tell....

Reactions: Durzel
When done well they do look to be a substantial improvement, particularly as we get older and our night vision isn't what it once was. But I fear the Tesla implementation will be a new source of constant complaints here. Time will tell....
My fear too, either terrible or underwhelming in what they try to do. When the news was first leaked a while back it was just a wider beam instead of fog lights. It’s possible that’s still what’s going to happen

My fear too, either terrible or underwhelming in what they try to do. When the news was first leaked a while back it was just a wider beam instead of fog lights. It’s possible that’s still what’s going to happen
My fear is more fundamental. Even if Tesla does it well we will still have moaners. People are already anticipating it will be poorly implemented....

I had a long drive recently, about 2 hours on unlit roads at night and it was easy to spot which were LED and which weren't. A little bit more difficult to figure out which were matrix but after a while, I think I kind of figured it out. (certainly, for cars that had 'good' matrix LED's)

I noticed that those with matrix lights coming at me clearly looked like they had their full beams on, as the headlights looked light football stadium floodlights from a distance. However, they didn't dazzle my eyes at all. Instinct tells you 'that person has their full beams on, no question' but at the same time, my eyes weren't dazzled like you would get if they were on regular full beam.

Not discounting what you're saying at all here Adopado, as sometimes people are just stupid and forget to dip their lights. My overall point is that I think that while it looks like the oncoming car has full beams on, they don't actually dazzle your eyes*

*Of course, that only applies to cars with Matrix lights that work as designed

When I was in the ID3 that time, it wasn't possible for the persons eyes to be dazzled as you could clearly see the lights were shut out for that piece of road, but I guess they would have seen that the headlights looked extremely bright from their position, but just not shining directly at them.

Yeah, I'm a fan of matrix lights. And honestly, on that 2 hour drive, I wish I had them. The way they light up the verge to the left is an incredible safety feature. When you are in the dark on unlit roads, especially if raining, it can be hard to make out where the left boundary of the road is, with the glare of cars are coming at you and you have your light dipped so visibility is quite hard and making out that left boundary is tricky at times. Matrix lights changes that completely, without impacting other drivers. Something we just need to get used to I guess.