Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had opportunity for a longer drive yesterday, about 90 miles each way, dual carriageway. AP was fine. Traffic was fairly light, and being Sunday not representative of commercial traffic, but I didn't get any slow-downs (i.e. just at the point of approaching a vehicle)

Outbound late afternoon, return 8PM - 9:30PM

I had change-lanes (on indicate) bail out several times. I presume that is the relatively recent "time limit" in the Regs, but nothing else to report.

I still don't understand how, over the years, I have had next to zero problems ... and yet the likes of @Pagemakers is the polar opposite.

Reactions: Avendit
I still don't understand how, over the years, I have had next to zero problems ... and yet the likes of @Pagemakers is the polar opposite.
Yes, that’s a complete mystery. Wipers, lights, AP, TACC and so on, seem to operate better or worse in different locations and weather. Lord knows why.
It’s a bit like Windows works fine on my PC but not yours! One wonders if the amount of data pumping round our cars isn’t always always processed uniformly.

I had change-lanes (on indicate) bail out several times. I presume that is the relatively recent "time limit" in the Regs, but nothing else to report.

No so recent. Maybe 2-3 years. I get lane change cancellations on pretty much every trip. Some gentle. Some severe.

ll don't understand how, over the years, I have had next to zero problems ... and yet the likes of @Pagemakers is the polar opposite.

And I guess many others somewhere in between you and I.

I drive a lot on autopilot. I do a lot of motorway driving and I guess because of that I may experience it more. It could also be a combination of a relatively old car (2019 3P) and software that is not fully tested to be compatible. That was the opinion of the Tesla service engineer who replaced my repeater cameras last week (the replacement made no difference).

Yesterday while driving back from Newcastle to Manchester with my mate driving - TACC only (he refuses to drive with autopilot) we had about 3 phantom brakes instances. His comments “I have no idea why would put up with this sh1t”. He says in the 4 years of owning his Porsche his TACC has never once slammed on the brakes for no reason.

I had a highland test drive last week. 70mph in the middle lane in good weather, autopilot engaged, had a moderate braking issue while passing a car in the inside lane so it’s not even fixed in a brand new car.

I guess it could also be the way this “neural net” is doing the learning. Maybe the goalposts to brake or not brake, wipe or not to wipe are not based on a set of hard and fast rules. That could explain why you can drive for 2 hours and autopilot works fairly well and on the way home it’s a pile of junk. Who knows.

It could also be a combination of a relatively old car (2019 3P) and software that is not fully tested to be compatible

Hadn't considered that. Although my main (longer distance) driver is a 2019 MS - might be a particular variant that "sold loads" but I would hazard a guess that any variant-combination of M3 would have sold more than any MS ... but also possible that "All MS are same" from the software's PoV

I reckon you must have pushed the "Guinea pig" button and your software is now configured for Primary Tester Number One :)

Apologies if I'm being stupid ... but I've looked back and still don't see the bit I'm missing ...
One of the users was complaining about phantom breaking whilst using autopilot and he said he wished there was a way where you could just turn off TACC and use autopilot for steering.

My suggestion was to turn autopilot on and set the speed to 30 mph. You can then override the speed by driving with your foot on the accelerator. The car will then accelerate to any speed you like and you will never suffer from phantom breaking. If you take your foot off the accelerator, the car will slow down as normal to a minimum speed of 30 mph.

I do something similar at times for short periods (without setting 30 mph), I just keep my foot on the accelerator as I’m passing a line of traffic. That way I know I can get past the traffic without the car slamming on the anchors at 70mph in the fast lane.

One of the users was complaining about phantom breaking whilst using autopilot and he said he wished there was a way where you could just turn off TACC and use autopilot for steering.
I'm with @Adopado, to me it reads that OP wants "classic cruise control"...
"I like to set the speed and the car stay at that speed"
in a post complaining about both AP and TACC being the rationale for reading it as such. I think the confusion is that you are referring to what you said rather than what OP said/what was being responded to.

Last edited: