Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.20 Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From reading elsewhere, it appears they're using a new 2D marshmallow view developed specifically for the Intel MCUs, as they doesn't have powerful enough graphics to render 3D marshmallows (or at least, they haven't optimised it yet to run well enough on Intel).

I think the only practical difference is that it's locked to a birds eye view and you can't rotate the PoV.
Watching some more videos it seems to only be birds eye during the auto park manoevre. It's definitely supposed to be different from AMD cars, though.

The new one though looks at least from videos that it should pick up really well. It's probably listed as available on the Model S/X LHD cars here in the UK but maybe is geo-fenced that it doesn't actually work anyway in the UK. Maybe actually our RHD cars would have it but only if you drive over to a LHD country in Europe.
Turns out you’re right - the information has now been removed from both my car and app by Tesla without further updating the software!
LHD S Plaid HW4 FSD

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: FastLaneJB and goRt
1000001016.png

Does it park slightly over to allow the driver more room to get out?
Well it is an American car - and its not going to be "slightly" is it? - like door fully open and Easy Exit needed.
I don’t think it does matter that they’ve trained it only on LHD but they’ve not tested it I guess in RHD countries so won’t release it regardless. My concern is seeing as they cannot release FSD in any RHD country at a guess their incentive to train it for just Autopark is probably low.
Since when did it bother Tesla if something hasn't been tested - or maybe it doesn't work? They still sell it and implies it does or will do "soon"

I’m completely puzzled as to why it matters what side of the car the driver is sitting when the cameras are all in the same place worldwide, and Autopark is a fully autonomous feature?

Me too, and also many car parks globally are one way with spaces on either side.

It's the human driver sat on one side or another, not the car itself.

I'm struggling to work out what the difference is for parking.

The only thing I can think of is it uses a shared model from FSD and that whole model is limited to LHD. As it's not simply an Autopark model.

Me too, and also many car parks globally are one way with spaces on either side.

It's the human driver sat on one side or another, not the car itself.

I'm struggling to work out what the difference is for parking.

The only thing I can think of is it uses a shared model from FSD and that whole model is limited to LHD. As it's not simply an Autopark model.
I don’t think the issue is RHD, as LHD Model S’s in the UK also didn’t get autopark. Watching videos of autopark in the States, it seems the car can travel quite a distance during the parking manoeuvre, negotiating with other cars and passing on the correct side. I suspect there in lies the issue, as the system is likely unable to pass on the left at present. It will be interesting to see if it becomes available when travelling to the continent.

I don’t think the issue is RHD, as LHD Model S’s in the UK also didn’t get autopark. Watching videos of autopark in the States, it seems the car can travel quite a distance during the parking manoeuvre, negotiating with other cars and passing on the correct side. I suspect there in lies the issue, as the system is likely unable to pass on the left at present. It will be interesting to see if it becomes available when travelling to the continent.
Well it is RHD. It's not the position of the steering wheel that's the problem but the side of the road we have to drive on. As others have said the car can actually move a lot and avoid other cars as technically this is all running off the FSD stack. The issue is it's going to try to avoid other cars on the wrong side of the road. Even around carparks you'll pass other cars on the opposite side than what FSD has been trained for.

Sadly I don't think we'll see this until they start some RHD FSD training. I do hope I'm wrong though.

I suspect there in lies the issue, as the system is likely unable to pass on the left at present

I think we are tripping over semantics here, as we seem to agree.

Is that not an issue for those who drive on the left then, hence RHD countries.

I suspect the model S LHD in the UK is simply because it's in a RHD country. The updates are usually by home country, rather than the edge cases.

I think we are tripping over semantics here, as we seem to agree.

Is that not an issue for those who drive on the left then, hence RHD countries.

I suspect the model S LHD in the UK is simply because it's in a RHD country. The updates are usually by country, rather than the edge cases.
It was a mistake and they pulled it from the LHD cars sold in the UK. It also didn’t work but just got into the release notes. Feels like it’s geofenced and maybe it’ll work if driving over to Europe. Or just they’ve blocked it on UK cars completely.

It was a mistake and they pulled it from the LHD cars sold in the UK. It also didn’t work but just got into the release notes. Feels like it’s geofenced and maybe it’ll work if driving over to Europe. Or just they’ve blocked it on UK cars completely.
I think you’re right - it was a mistake and was subsequently pulled from the lhd cars over here. Normally my lhd s plaid uploads appx 4gb data per day after each new software release
ie 120 Gb per month. Same for the past year. For the latest release there has been no data at all uploaded by Tesla.