Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK accessories for RHD Model 3 [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on Sandisk Endurance card. Hold off for time being whilst I investigate the ‘too slow’ error that has just appeared on one of the two cards that I have.

I rotate a pair so I can have one always in cars whilst I can peruse the other at my leisure.

Came back to car yesterday to have an unlucky 13 sentry mode events and a ‘too slow’ card error. But is still caught the woman using our car as a door stop. Don’t think there is any damage.

But at our next stop the sentry alarm activated but were blind by then so missed what caused it. Can’t see anything, Hope it was just a bus close by and air wobbling the car.

I rotated the other one back in and that’s fine. But have noticed a fair number of small file sizes. i has a theory about this but this has blown that.

I had a problem with one of the cards getting corrupted so had to reformat which then gave me another error. Took a while to sort. I need to check what card this was.

I’m also going to try another method of formatting.

These cards have write speed in excess of USB 2 rates as on the car so are plenty fast enough on paper. But I have seen flash memory slow down during long file copies and think it may be related to that.

I’ve also been running with a different USB/SD adaptor so that’s not a common factor.

I’ll also run a full card check to ensure that my reliably sourced cards are in fact reliable and not counterfeit. Would have done earlier had I found a reliable site to download it from but think I now have.

I was planning on buying a MicroSD card but ended up purchasing a 240GB SSD and 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure from Amazon for £22:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZZFZPPS
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OJ3UJ2S

The SSD is made by TCSUNBOW but is very highly rated on Amazon. Price currently is £23.99 but it often appears as a Lightning Deal for £14.40 every few weeks.

Everything working perfectly so far with no errors but will see how it holds up over the next few months.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Update on Sandisk Endurance card. Hold off for time being whilst I investigate the ‘too slow’ error that has just appeared on one of the two cards that I have.

I rotate a pair so I can have one always in cars whilst I can peruse the other at my leisure.

Came back to car yesterday to have an unlucky 13 sentry mode events and a ‘too slow’ card error. But is still caught the woman using our car as a door stop. Don’t think there is any damage.

But at our next stop the sentry alarm activated but were blind by then so missed what caused it. Can’t see anything, Hope it was just a bus close by and air wobbling the car.

I rotated the other one back in and that’s fine. But have noticed a fair number of small file sizes. i has a theory about this but this has blown that.

I had a problem with one of the cards getting corrupted so had to reformat which then gave me another error. Took a while to sort. I need to check what card this was.

These cards have write speed in excess of USB 2 rates as on the car so are plenty fast enough on paper. But I have seen flash memory slow down during long file copies and think it may be related to that.

I’ve also been running with a different USB/SD adaptor so that’s not a common factor.

I’ll also run a full card check to ensure that my reliably sourced cards are in fact reliable and not counterfeit. Would have done earlier had I found a reliable site to download it from but think I now have.
Damn. I literally just finished checking a Samsung Endurance for authenticity and formatting it 5 minutes ago. I thought these were supposed to be the best!!!

Damn. I literally just finished checking a Samsung Endurance for authenticity and formatting it 5 minutes ago. I thought these were supposed to be the best!!!

I think a number of factors are at work.

• Some cards are counterfeit - sounds like you already validated yours.
  • Tesla USB support is crap - all to easy to corrupt the drive - make sure you turn off dashcam before ejecting but not convinced thats all. I've suffered 2 corruptions so far, one definitely ejected after turning off dashcam so think more going on here.
  • Some flash cards can slow down during normal use - I witnessed this whilst copying large number of files - got below the critical 4MB/s even though at times it was >40MB/s - I think, hope, this is a formatting issue, so when I get the inclination, I'm going to try some long sequential write tests with the card formatted in different ways. This may explain why cards suffer batches of truncated files and sudden appearance of 'too slow' message.
  • Magnetic anomolies...
  • Chance...

Anyone tried the option of using a Raspberry Pi Zero W as a USB drive? Seems to resolve some of the file corruption problems, apparently, plus you can set it up to export the Teslacam files to your home network automatically, as soon as it can get a wifi connection. The cost of a Raspberry Pi Zero W, plus case and a suitable high endurance µSd car isn't that high, maybe £30 or so in total.

Anyone tried the option of using a Raspberry Pi Zero W as a USB drive? Seems to resolve some of the file corruption problems, apparently, plus you can set it up to export the Teslacam files to your home network automatically, as soon as it can get a wifi connection. The cost of a Raspberry Pi Zero W, plus case and a suitable high endurance µSd car isn't that high, maybe £30 or so in total.
Yes. Working fine for me with marcone/teslausb
I'm using a SanDisk High Endurance SD card with it.

Rather support somebody in our community.

If you get carried away with an AO spending spree you’d be better off with a google search AO discount code which is typically 15%. My £200 spend saved me around £30 which kinda offset the postage and a part of the customs charge.

Unless you can use the $10 referral discount in addition to a google search 15% discount?

Last edited:
Reactions: navt

Memory chips on both SSD's and USB's slow down when near full (like supercharging!)

You may get the error "too slow" if the storage device is near full. Best pratice is to keep them less than full (70% of capacity) to keep the performance up. Would be handy if Tesla would allow you to see the state of data storage on the car screen somewhere or allow you to cap the data limit on it.

Some storage companies build in this buffer that you don't see to help prevent this slowing down, but usually comes with a large cost attached and most of us look at the more affordable side when it comes to purchasing storage (me included).

Why solid-state drive (SSD) performance slows down as it becomes full • Pureinfotech

Thanks for posting - I cant remember checking spare space on the ‘too skow’ disc but had on another. Not seen capacity drop on that one to less than around 50% which I had assumed was sentry now deleting stale files. No problems with that so far.

I’ll specifically check the too slow one.

I’m half expecting the drive to be curtailed at 64GB even though it is meant to be 128GB. It was bought from a reputable source but I know supply chains can vary in quality. Not tested for authenticity yet as the commonly used one seems to end up being linked from disreputable sites so need to confirm the gold copy site and that it is clean. Iirc it was in a non English language so didn’t pursue.

Reactions: davidmc
So far I have bought:-

AO Lifting Pads - ordered Tuesday, delivered Friday.
SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - continuous too slow error. So I stuck in an old WD Passport 500GB which seems to do the trick.
BougeRV All-Weather Mats - brilliant. No smell. Could do with higher side walls, but for the most part groove should suffice. Driver's mat does not extend to foot rest.
BougeRV Frunk Struts - again, brilliant. So easy to install and for now works fine.
BougeRV Boot Struts - to be installed.
Umi boot tidy - fantastic for all the bits and bobs I carry around.
303 Spray Wax and Interior Protectant - what it says on the bottle.

With the exception of the lifting pads, all of the above were from Amazon.

I have been using a Nomad wireless charger for our Model 3. It was working fine, but by coincidence after the latest update the Nomad developed a fault on one side, flashing a light and not charging. I swapped the usb leads over to prove if it was the usb socket or Nomad. I left it like that for a few days and then the other side of the Nomad failed the same way. I suspect the usb on the car is doing something to Nomad. I have now hard wired another 12v socket into the front under the USB sockets. This now powers the Nomad and the USB are free to accept my memory card.

I basically copied this guy's installation

I basically copied this guy's installation

That’s an amazing DIY job!

I’m planning to use this:
Zendure 5 Ports USB-C Hub Portable Charger 20000mAh, X6 45W PD&QC 3.0 Power Bank (LED Display, UPS Continuous Power, Low Power Mode) Compatible Macbook, iPhone, Smartwatches, More - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075Q5VLGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_8sA2DbB289E22

It’s a battery with a hub. The Tesla trickle charges the battery, and your phones fast charge off the battery (much faster than if plugged in directly to the Tesla), and a USB key for sentry / dash cam works too. I’m using a raspberry pi for my dash/sentry, so this battery will keep the pi running after the car goes to sleep (not that it matters, but hopefully it will mean the pi doesn’t get uncleanly powered off).

Console cubby hole tray?

Mud flaps? The car is a dirt magnet. I'm still trying to track down the more flexible version having received a less flexible ABS set instead.

Meguires ceramic wax works amazingly. I actually hate cleaning cars and can't be arsed with detailing etc, but I used this stuff and it's amazing. I gave the car quick clean yesterday after applying the ceramic stuff and it got rid of the salt etc from daily commute fast more quickly than usual.