Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK accessories for RHD Model 3 [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has occurred to me how embarrassing it is that I can sit at my computer and order pretty much anything to turn up in a couple of weeks from thousands of miles away, then claim I am saving the world by owning a Tesla. Why can’t UK companies make and supply all the “bits” we need, and why can’t we have fleets of electric trains/cars/drones that’s are also designed and made in the UK delivering them to us ?

/high horse mode off.

It has occurred to me how embarrassing it is that I can sit at my computer and order pretty much anything to turn up in a couple of weeks from thousands of miles away, then claim I am saving the world by owning a Tesla. Why can’t UK companies make and supply all the “bits” we need, and why can’t we have fleets of electric trains/cars/drones that’s are also designed and made in the UK delivering them to us ?

/high horse mode off.

As long as it's not from TAPTES :)

Where are these vents? I've just inspected and prodded the area beneath both drivers and front passengers seat (even moving the passenger seat back) and found nothing other the seat motors and what looks to be a thick cable - presumably to power the seat motors.

Struggling to see something so obvious as these gaping holes although there mat be something behind the big cable but when I put my hand in there I did not feel any gaping hole.

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-9_16-55-53.png
    upload_2020-6-9_16-55-53.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Where are these vents? I've just inspected and prodded the area beneath both drivers and front passengers seat (even moving the passenger seat back) and found nothing other the seat motors and what looks to be a thick cable - presumably to power the seat motors.

Struggling to see something so obvious as these gaping holes although there mat be something behind the big cable but when I put my hand in there I did not feel any gaping hole.
Where you've marked cover behind the thick cable is correct. Same under the drivers seat although no big cable in the way.

You don't need to disconnect that cable under the passenger seat to fit the covers.

Can you move the seats all the way forward (or at all) without it auto-saving to the profile? My memory is hazy on whether it auto-saves or not.

More to the point, how on earth can anyone make a profit selling a $4 plastic part and send it half way round the world!
It costs me more to send my Ebay sales in the UK!
It's nuts isn't it. I have a load of crap that I really ought to list on eBay, but the effort involved in doing it is disproportionate to the value of them. I have no idea how someone in China can be sending these things for free or less than it costs to post something via Royal Mail inside the UK.

Where you've marked cover behind the thick cable is correct. Same under the drivers seat although no big cable in the way.

You don't need to disconnect that cable under the passenger seat to fit the covers.

Thanks. I didn't get as good access to drivers side to concentrated on passenger side.

I've ordered a set from ebay. For under £6 for the pair, I've ordered just in case.

Reactions: Medved_77

Was it not just behind the big black cable?
I have not looked in my car yet.

Confirmation on the main M3 deliveries forum that US M3s are now being delivered with wireless charging and USB-C ports built-in. Interestingly one confirmed such M3 has a lower VIN than mine (6xx as opposed to 7xx) but apparently that M3 left the factory in June where our Grand Venus M3s must have left prior to that!

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Confirmation on the main M3 deliveries forum that US M3s are now being delivered with wireless charging and USB-C ports built-in. Interestingly one confirmed such M3 has a lower VIN than mine (6xx as opposed to 7xx) but apparently that M3 left the factory in June where our Grand Venus M3s must have left prior to that!
I’ll bet they’ll have just used up all the old USB-A parts on our batch of RHD cars :D

For installation, move the front seats up and forward as far as possible, you should then see the holes. Here is an image of the hole under the driver seat.

View attachment 549624

Is that a photo of your car?

I've just had another look and feel, and as much as I could see under drivers seat and its not like that. I even raised passenger seat to most forward position.

Both seats look very similar, with a big cable. There is an area which looks similar, but if I slide my hand in, there is no opening other than what feels to be a narrow slit if I clench my fingers right back. Now I may have mis interpreted that photo, but I was expecting a large opening with a vertical opening - if its like that, mine has a cover over it already. I could imagine something getting down the slit, but to get there, its into the opening in the carpet and back under yourself - infact, what I may be feeling may even be the gap between the carpet and the floor. There definitely is something there, but not some huge void into the top of the battery or anything resembling the sort of view in those photos.

I wonder if the design has changed or, our car had a SC visit where some of the inside sounds as if it had been removed and I wonder if it was modified in some way?

I can't honestly see any way to fit a grill in that area. It would be like sliding a vent cover into a narrow opening in the carpet.

Is that a photo of your car?

I've just had another look and feel, and as much as I could see under drivers seat and its not like that. I even raised passenger seat to most forward position.

Both seats look very similar, with a big cable. There is an area which looks similar, but if I slide my hand in, there is no opening other than what feels to be a narrow slit if I clench my fingers right back. Now I may have mis interpreted that photo, but I was expecting a large opening with a vertical opening - if its like that, mine has a cover over it already. I could imagine something getting down the slit, but to get there, its into the opening in the carpet and back under yourself - infact, what I may be feeling may even be the gap between the carpet and the floor. There definitely is something there, but not some huge void into the top of the battery or anything resembling the sort of view in those photos.

I wonder if the design has changed or, our car had a SC visit where some of the inside sounds as if it had been removed and I wonder if it was modified in some way?

I can't honestly see any way to fit a grill in that area. It would be like sliding a vent cover into a narrow opening in the carpet.

I was also having difficulty reconciling the photo with what I could 'feel' under the drivers seat as I was also expecting one big cavity. There appears to be a quite narrow slot towards the back of the car and then two more horizontal openings towards the front. But then I took my own photo and it looks identical to the one posted earlier! Although the slot is quite narrow I think small sweets and coins could easily fall in so I will also be ordering some covers.

floor-vent.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Thanks, thats much clearer than mine. I can imagine the slot that I can feel is the bit where the flash is shining off, and the 'cover' that I felt being the horizontal bit across the middle. I couldn't feel the front gap so will need another go trying to reach further forward. It doesn't help that mine are visually obscured by the thick cables.