Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does show one stall / tombstone per bay on the plan. But as we know, some V3 sites have 10 total, leaving 2 spare - likely for load management reasons - so it’s not unusual for them to go to utilise max 4/8/12/16/20 etc at every site… one to watch.

Has anyone checked other roadchef sites?
Over on the TOUK Facebook group one of the planning application search experts posted the results of a Roadchef hunt: they didn't find anything Tesla-specific but found plans for power supply upgrades to support EV charging at the Roadchef Chester, Sandbach & Knutsford service areas.

🔥Croydon Superchargers now open!
313D8F83-7E6E-4470-9974-63257A8F0BE5.jpeg

🔥Reading Service Centre Superchargers looking close to opening.View attachment 833304
More than 8 stalls too

Reading Service centre is going to be located right next to the retail park so could be that. (Plans submitted in November, but not sure it’s been spotted yet..) only destination chargers on the plans. However the signage plans state the lettering for “vehicle charging” “to be confirmed” possibly indicating this may change to “Superchargers”. Also electrical substations have been highlighted on the plans.

Plan ID 201609

Ignore all that. “Preferred “SuC location” is on plans! Confirmed I’d say

View attachment 625261
View attachment 625262

🔥Alex Rogers yet again spotting new important planning. Sheffield Service Ctr with 14 proposed Superchargers!
Plans here also show “customer lounge” - although SuCs appear behind a gated fence.

Seems like Osprey are also putting an 8 stall hub nearby too. Good options here.

Plans here also show “customer lounge” - although SuCs appear behind a gated fence.

Most showrooms/service centres have a "customer lounge" but it doesn't mean much - just a couple of armchairs and a coffee machine.

The gate in front of the superchargers is labelled "fence with gate by LL (TBC as built)" where I read "LL" to mean Landlord - so that's an existing fence/gate, then the plan shows a new fence/gate behind the row of superchargers forming the perimeter of the "secure service yard" with the note "relocation of existing fence with gate TBC". Presumably the landlord's gate will be left open or removed and the new gate used to lock in cars awaiting service as per the practice at other locations.

Supercharger arrangements look suspect however - it says "TBC with SUC team", and shows 14 stalls but only two cabinets, and the cabinets located an inconvenient distance away. I'd have a small wager on 12 stalls and the cabinets in the remaining space...

Last edited:
Surprised to see that list of top EV charge station providers and reliability. Tesla actually doesn’t have that many stalls - perhaps the key to their visibility is number of stalls per location?

Are we hoping for a decent ramp up in capacity and/or locations?

Great stuff. Before we went electric this was a favourite stop - generally less bleak and windswept than Abington.
I've added an entry to the wiki at the start of this thread. Approximate location coordinates: (55.219700,-3.411000).

This looks similar to the proposal for Rownhams - I wonder if more are in the pipeline? As @CMc1 has commented, 9 SuC stalls seems very unlikely as the ninth stall would require its own additional charging cabinet.
That’s great news. Gretna is woefully inadequate at 4 units, and I’ve been to Abington when it was busy and only got 50kw. I decent number of up to date SCs is exactly what’s needed.

Anyone taken a look at Exeter to see how that’s coming along, shame it’s not open for the main holiday rush
Photos posted yesterday on TOUK FB group showed they are physically pretty much complete but still fenced off. Looks like the surface needs to be painted (if they’ll bother), the lines painted and signs put up, then it’s ready.
As they will very likely be sharing the new power supply with GridServe there is a good chance that there won‘t be any significant delay with waiting for power to be installed/switched on as it‘s already there and active.

It does show one stall / tombstone per bay on the plan. But as we know, some V3 sites have 10 total, leaving 2 spare - likely for load management reasons - so it’s not unusual for them to go to utilise max 4/8/12/16/20 etc at every site… one to watch.

Has anyone checked other roadchef sites?

Over on the TOUK Facebook group one of the planning application search experts posted the results of a Roadchef hunt: they didn't find anything Tesla-specific but found plans for power supply upgrades to support EV charging at the Roadchef Chester, Sandbach & Knutsford service areas.

Correction: thanks to the confounding Facebook algorithms I missed a post from last week about a similar planning application at Roadchef Durham Services (Bowburn A1(M) J61). This was approved in May and includes solar canopies, 12 supercharger stalls and 12 Gridserve stalls. Approximate map coordinates: (54.729500, -1.522900).

DM/22/00477/FPA | Erection of solar canopies over existing parking bays and the installation of EV charging points | Durham Services Bowburn Durham DH6 5NP

2022-07-29 Durham Visuals Clip.jpg

2022-07-29 Durham Site Plan Clip.jpg

Quarter 3 2022 looks like it might set new records for number of sites and number of bays opening.
Croydon has started things with 8, but close to opening we have:
•Reading Service Ctr x12
•Elvedon expansion x8
•Newark x10
•Orpington x20
•Heathrow Renaissance x16
•Exeter Services x16

Also listed specifically as “opening Q3“ on the Tesla website:
•Newquay
•Plymouth
•Bournemouth
•Guildford (Spectrum)
•Taunton
•Ferndown
•Swindon
•Dorking
•Wimbledon
•Bexleyheath
•Stratford
•Watford
•Northampton
•Coventry
•Birch Westbound
•Birch Eastbound
•Sheffield
•Swansea
•Glasgow SC

Plus lots more waiting to start or in the planning process.
Have I missed anything?